Goofy Footer

What is the Best High Performance Enduro Bike?

THAT is my ONLY complaint with my 08 510 - the vibes on the road blow goats. My motor is new so I'd hate to tear into it and add the balancer but how big of a job is it? Split cases? I may be tempted as it would open up a whole new world to me on that bike.

GF - The 510 may have the top end the 450 doesn't but I don't know cause I've never ridden the 450, the 510 feels plenty fast. You do have to get used to shifting 3 times before you cross an intersection with the close ratio trans but it shines in the dirt.

Time to swap out bikes some time, I'd like to see what the 510 has to offer that the 450 doesn't and vice versa.

My selections may be skewed as I won't pick a motorcycle employing a carburetor within the induction system. Can't be the best if falling behind in technology. Also I'm a little larger than most so a 450 works great for me but a smaller displacement model might be better for you.

In no particular order.

TM EN450fi

Sherco SE450IR

2012+ WR450F

There is speculation that Suzuki could bring the RMX450Z back for 2014 now that their lawsuit with the EPA or CARB is complete.

Also I've been tickled with my YZ450F. It won't work for everybody as the gearbox is a close ratio 5 speed, it's kick start only and red sticker, but when out there railing the trails I couldn't be happier. It is a little small in the rider compartment, but let's be honest I'm 6'4" so all bikes are small to me but I'm working on making it feel bigger. Otherwise it is really well balanced and designed to attack terrain at high speed. The Kayaba Speed Sensitive suspension is arguably the best you can get. Of course it is a motocross bike, so it will need to be tuned and worked over for enduro use, but again, I'm 6'4" and 225# so I need to do a lot of personalization with any bike I buy.

I understand what you're saying about riding a "fast bike" and a bike you "can ride fast". The best bike to ride is one that quickly makes you feel more comfortable at your normal cruising speeds and allows you to push yourself and your riding to the next level. My RXV did that and so did the YZF.

post-13832-086329100 1366227320_thumb.jp

Would of said ktm R but low speed is not flickable.

Drool.gif

although if I would have a choice at another bike, I would buy a 300 two stroke, they are lighter, don't over heat, plenty of power

and love the smell of two stroke pre mix!

Smart man......but hey, the 300 smoker will overheat in the tight stuff....

High Performance/short loop enduro......I'd take my 300XCW

High Performance/longer loop/traveling rig......I'd take my 350F-XCW

Aw hell, ya really can't go wrong with either.......and I love'em both.......

If you could only have ONE green sticker (or street legal) enduro bike what would it be?

I'm talking about bikes for general "spirited" off road enduro riding (worcs, gncc, vet track, desert scrambles, enduro type terrain). I'm talking strictly off road riding.

Hmmmmm, if you're saying I must pick ONE for purposes of answering this this thread......I'll take the 350....

I haven't ridden The Smoker since picking up the 350 in January......I may be selling The Smoker at some point.....lot's of overlap between those two bikes in terms of performance and I can travel on the 350.....

Somewhat related article/evaluation: http://www.enduro360.com/2013/02/24/products-tested/2013-enduro-bike-comparison-husaberg-te300-vs-fe350/

Great input guys and I like the diversity!

I understand what you're saying about riding a "fast bike" and a bike you "can ride fast". The best bike to ride is one that quickly makes you feel more comfortable at your normal cruising speeds and allows you to push yourself and your riding to the next level.

+1

Anybody have any more input about "tweener" bikes like the 350 or even the older rfs 400 exc?

Warning: I'm about to hijack my own thread but I thought I'd post these window shopping options for possible discussion....

This plated 2006 WR250F looks pretty sweet. $2,850. I'm not sure how it would do wide open in the desert however..

http://sandiego.crai...3735179925.html

post-14322-029955200 1366249229_thumb.jp

For the same price - $2,800 this 05 KTM450exc looks like it has low hours

http://sandiego.crai...3737786636.html

post-14322-046045300 1366249350_thumb.jp

For $2,300 this 400exc could be a fun option

http://sandiego.crai...3738196447.html

post-14322-058493100 1366249484_thumb.jp

Hijack Off

Great input guys and I like the diversity!

Anybody have any more input about "tweener" bikes like the 350 or even the older rfs 400 exc?

I've got a 400exc that might go for sale real soon. For you, my friend, very special price.

I've got a 400exc that might go for sale real soon. For you, my friend, very special price.

Have the electrician wire in an E-start because left side kick is down right taboo around these parts

Have the electrician wire in an E-start because left side kick is down right taboo around these parts

Not taboo.....exotic!

Buddy of mine will be selling his alluminium frame 07' or 08'?? WR450 that is CA plated. He bought it with hardly any hours on it and has just about every billet cool item installed. Bike looks brand new.......with a plate even!

I've owned a 2002 400 EXC and currently own a 2012 350F-XCW. The 350 is superior in every facet. That said, the priceline gap between a used (older/carburated) 400 and a used (newer/fuel injected) 350 is miles apart.......suggest you change the thread from "Best" to "Really good for the money" High Performance Enduro bike :coolio: ......then go pick up whatever make/model you decide on....

I've owned a 2002 400 EXC and currently own a 2012 350F-XCW. The 350 is superior in every facet. That said, the priceline gap between a used (older/carburated) 400 and a used (newer/fuel injected) 350 is miles apart.......suggest you change the thread from "Best" to "Really good for the money" High Performance Enduro bike :coolio:/> ......then go pick up whatever make/model you decide on....

+1

the 10 year old bikes are just not in the same league as the new ones, not to mention price to maintain an older bike. Zenoson may disagree but I'm telling you bikes have come a long way in the last 10 years. Tim, you are small guy, like 140lbs 5'6" I'm guessing? Smaller bike is better IMO. A 250X or 200-250 enduro based 2T will be a lot more fun/easy to ride/race than a big bore bike. Just have to toss the machismo out the window and be realistic about what will work best for YOU.

good luck!

by the way, my wife used to have a 2002 400EXC now Mrs Beezzzzzer owns it. Decent motor, but its a pig (little lighter than a drz).

dont know your skill level but out of those 3, the 400 KTM RFS bike is bike that can make a hero out of the lowest skill novice. Those RFS 400s are sooooo easy to ride. Ive put alot time on my crew members' 2007 400 its a super user friendly machine.

I didn't really want this thread to be focused on me (although I kind of hijacked it). I enjoy hearing about what Your ideal "do it all" enduro bike would be. I love the varying opinions and preferences. Keep the deteiled info coming guys because it leads to great discussion! I didn't want to put a cost parameter on this thread because I wanted to hear all the options from people. I like hearing the Why it's your favorite.

To be honest, I love the user friendliness of the DRZe. It's smooth, consistent and aggressive enough but admittedly not spectacular at anything. I fully enjoy riding the piss out of the bike even if the suspension makes Me work harder. I actually bought a KTM 525 recently as a possible future high performance replacement for the DRZ but I have been less than happy with the bike (that's another thread). I'm debatting getting just keeping the DRZ for my style of dualsport adventures and getting a bike to thrash and ride hard offroad. I love hearing people's thoughts and learning about new options so I posted up this thread.

Keep the good info coming! :good:/>/>

Here is fun speculative question/conversation starter:

Where is the balance point between a 250F's lightweight prowess on the gnarly trails (and possibly a track) and a 450F's light em up power in open terrain and the desert?

Would you rather "struggle" with the heavier motor in the rough stuff or "wish" you had the top end when the road opens up? (clearly this is theoretical - your mileage may vary)

Would you rather "struggle" with the heavier motor in the rough stuff or "wish" you had the top end when the road opens up? (clearly this is theoretical - your mileage may vary)

I'm biased, I'd rather ride single track than top speed desert.

When in doubt I will always take the small bores. I'd rather ring out a 250 going down a dirt highway to get good single track than take the PIG and miss out or get it stuck in a hole.

I’ve ridden both the CRF 250 and 450 and I've had 5 CRF's. I really don’t see any reason to ever buy a 250. The four will go anywhere and then leave the 250 on the straight and dusty. But I'm a little on the big side so that might be why I never really liked the 250.

It is narrower.

Most Def like a dirt bike for the dirt and an enduro for the slab/dirt. Can’t have both, cause a plated moto bike can’t do the mileage that a DRZ or such can.

I don’t know, something about the wheel not spinning and constant force on the crank/valves working on the road. But then that's why they sell new bikes.

Just my .02 worth and even I are not entitled to that.

I'm biased, I'd rather ride single track than top speed desert.

When in doubt I will always take the small bores. I'd rather ring out a 250 going down a dirt highway to get good single track than take the PIG and miss out or get it stuck in a hole.

:rolleyes::good::smile_anim:

Well now that we're three pages into the debate. What stands true is "the best high performance enduro bike" is the one in that persons garage.

A link to a FI 450 enduro shootout from Australia came up when I watched your "What !s" link.

Worth watching maybe. I haven't even started it still working on "What !s".

What is the Best High Performance Enduro Bike? Who Cares when you can have the best low performace KLR money can buy...

What is the Best High Performance Enduro Bike? Who Cares when you can have the best low performace KLR money can buy...

I have been exchanging texts with goofy about similar points-

Who really NEEDS the highest performing dual sports? Answer: the highest performing riders

That MAY be goofy, but its not me...the DRZ and KLR I rode at Lark last week did fine on 99% of the trails- KLR is a whoops nightmare, but otherwise they both did great

I will even say, as awesome as the WR was, i doubt I was any faster on it- the WR250 was no slower, and WAY less taxing (I could ride the same speed longer)

I don't ride desert much, nor baja...I don't ride a dirtbike on the open highway...

For me, my plan is a 250 for tech trails, DRZ for dirt oriented dual sports, and the KLR for street oriented duals

I'm trying to convince Tim the same

For me, my plan is a 250 for tech trails, DRZ for dirt oriented dual sports, and the KLR for street oriented duals

I like that plan also, and though I could have several bikes to do each job I prefer to have one that can do most of them well. I'm barely an intermediate rider, but like to have the best bike I can afford. I'm willing to bet that's the way it is for a lot of people. Enduro bikes, as well as dual-sport bikes will almost always be a compromise and the level of compromise we are willing to put up with will be different for each rider. Owning more than one bikes opens up that compromise level, but also adds a lot of maintenance/expense that a lot of people don't want to deal with.

Right now for me, I'm happy with the 450 sized dual-sport or enduro. MX bikes are too narrowly focused for me. Smaller bikes (250 sized) require more work to wring them out than I care to put into the ride and are barely any smaller. Larger bikes are too much of a handfull in the tight stuff for me. Any color/brand 450 would probably make me happy, having a brand name just gives me something to pick on other riders about or for them to pick on me about. I've never really been a brand snob.

All just my opinion, after owning several bikes in the last several years.

Right now for me, I'm happy with the 450 sized dual-sport or enduro.

BUT... you also have a street bike, plus plenty of other family bikes in the garage- Your sonhas an MXer 450, wife has an enduro 450 and a dual sport 350, and you have a sport bike in there of your own.

We saw you went to borrego springs the other day, but didn't take your 450; you took the ZZR or ZX... whatever that little buzz bomb is... because of knobbies and high RPMS etc I assume... so; you have TWO bikes for your needs

I have a similar thing, with the KLR for street and the DRZ for easy dirt. I already sold a 650 AND a 250 to get the 450, and it didn't really suit my needs (hind sight is 50/50... half the time you might change what you did)

The WR250 was just plain a JOY to ride on singletrack, and track. As far as I know, the WR450 might be just a few pounds heavier, but it was more strenuous over the course of the day. (other than kicking the 250)

I "think" I could be satisfied with 3, "pretty sure" I could be satisfied with 5, and totally sure I could be happy with 10 bikes

I "think" I could be satisfied with 3, "pretty sure" I could be satisfied with 5, and totally sure I could be happy with 10 bikes

Wait, was this thread not about the "one" enduro bike??

Riddle me this...

You're telling me that the difference between a 250F in nasty trails vs a 450F is that it's easier to ride for longer - that it is less tiring?

Sounds a lot like me stating the DRZ suspension can do desert whoops but it makes you work harder than say... a JCR 450X race bike...

So... what we're getting at is that a 450F can do RedBull Romaniacs and my DRZ can do the 75 miles of whoops in the Score San Felipe 250 but we'll complain while doing it because we're out of shape, it's tiring and we're poor riders.

Hmm... I could get in better shape through riding hard (riding is a good workout) and I could become a better rider by riding more (perfect practice makes perfect riding)... BUT to do that, I'd be complaining about my "compromise" bike.

But then when/if I ever get in shape AND become a phenomenal rider, is the bike still a compromise??

:torch:/>

I already answered that question... WR450F

we've evolved into yet another discussion