There's something I have to say. It happens even when you are just out and about.

I have never been hurt badly out riding, but not once, but twice in three months I have had the misfortune of being broken.

My point "For a Reason" I say have a riding buddy. That is why we are on this site, to have like minded people together so we can have buddies......

To share a personal experience, last week I was out at O.W. and had met up with FuzzyNugs. We had been riding for a while, having a good time. We had about 50 miles in,some lunch, some sites, and just motoring around. We were in no hurry and nothing hard. I took a NAP, just like that. Thanks to having met up with FuzzyNugs, he was there.

Thanks again. He helped me up with the bike, out of the sand, which is greatly appreciated. So once again I was able ride back to the truck, load up, and go home. Again, a big thanks to him because he loaded my bike for me, which was kind of a job. Sorry, but I had a laugh, the trailer had stuff in it, where it was parked, it wasn't easy.

So a short NAP turn into ER visit

post-13832-025986400 1366076179_thumb.jp

To a Doctor date

post-13832-084379000 1366078149_thumb.jp

Now I all this to post.

That's a screw in the humerous ball, yeah? Chicks dig scars bro...and that's a serious one- glad you had a buddy to bail you out!

Bummer. Glad you had some help. I've been in the same boat three times now...including once when I was riding solo. Got myself and my bike home because I had to. Get well soon and lets hits some trails!

Wow like bs says.. thats a SCAR.

Your clavicule must have been seriously broken to require surgery (broke mine twice, including once where i came close to puncture my lung doc said, but nothing more that a sling was prescribed. Oh and a wagon of dangerous medecine that i never ate), amazing that you were able to ride back, its a painful one!!!

good work getting out of there safely both of you.

I really don't like talking this way because, I it is not what we want to hear. We need to be aware how easily we can get stuck.

Just 3 months ago for the first time I got a cast -I was out at O.W. had ridden all day about 100 miles, got up the next day rode about 20 miles took a break for breakfast took off and within 1/4 mile took a NAP.

Ride back to truck load bike try to load bike, get bike loaded, drive home ask WIFE if she wants to go with me to ER :angry:/> (thats not good)

post-13832-090395600 1366080304_thumb.jp

Two days off work (again not good).

Doc took cast off this day when I brought X ray in, he said looked good to go.

I thought all is good, Dodged that one.

Every time I think we wiill get a chance to meet SE's and ride together you break something, Each time after or during riding with my friends or family... You're starting to make me nervous biggrin.gif Get well, and thanks for the good reminder of not riding alone which I do too much of.

Hey I have a scar like that and a big metal plate under it, unbreakable now. Heal up soon (again).

Sorry to see how many know the story first hand. I just felt I needed to share the Reason!

I was talking to Fuzzy yesterday (I think) about the "Drug Demons", at least that is what I call it. Rotater tear has me doing wall claws (they suck).I have the option to take the pill from Hell. The story I heard, was during war time missions should be limited to three days, because after that things would become unreal (like they weren't already).But I didn't read it on the Internet so I don't know if it's true <_</>

It sad to think something we have done hundreds of times could get you so easily. I know some times it not easy to find someone to ride with at last minute, but I will at least try. Who knows maybe that person is in the same mind set and didn't have anyone to go with and was having to do with out.

Another thing that got me thinking is GEAR ! I always wear gear. It takes me 10-15min or more to gear up. I am not thinking much of the body armor I was wearing, I think old school chest protector would of been a lot better .

Indeed, that was the day I broke down for the second time in almost 35 years.

Heal up and ride again.

I've knocked my self out twice, took an ambulance ride once at Speedway 117. At 51 with no broken bones, I decided to look for additional riding buddies that shares my long ride urges.

Safety in numbers type of thing. Been doing these long rides mostly solo for most of my life, have had rides at night where I've been lost for over a hundred miles.

For a Reason is a well needed post.

Have some repair gear with you, gear up always. It's better to sweat than bleed. Have a route plan, and share it with others before you leave. Have ID, Have at the least 24 hours of water and protein bars, and never ride at a 100%. Know your limits and your bikes limits including fuel and dont exceed them. This is not a race, it's a ride. Cause even when one is just cruising one never knows.

Thanks for posting and heal quick, we'll ride an epic ride soon.

Indeed, that was the day I broke down for the second time in almost 35 years.

Heal up and ride again.

I've knocked my self out twice, took an ambulance ride once at Speedway 117. At 51 with no broken bones, I decided to look for additional riding buddies that shares my long ride urges.

Safety in numbers type of thing. Been doing these long rides mostly solo for most of my life, have had rides at night where I've been lost for over a hundred miles.

For a Reason is a well needed post.

Have some repair gear with you, gear up always. It's better to sweat than bleed. Have a route plan, and share it with others before you leave. Have ID, Have at the least 24 hours of water and protein bars, and never ride at a 100%. Know your limits and your bikes limits including fuel and dont exceed them. This is not a race, it's a ride. Cause even when one is just cruising one never knows.

Thanks for posting and heal quick, we'll ride an epic ride soon.

When I ride solo, especially off road, I always file a ride plan with my wifem via text. I tell her where I'm going and when I'll be back. I always allow for an extra hour at least. Then I text her when I'm home safe. Eventhough, I've been thinking about investing in Spot a lot more lately...

When I ride solo, especially off road, I always file a ride plan with my wifem via text. I tell her where I'm going and when I'll be back. I always allow for an extra hour at least. Then I text her when I'm home safe. Eventhough, I've been thinking about investing in Spot a lot more lately...

Yup, great plan includes putting the Joe hauler and ramp and tie downs out so she can chase if need be. Yeah I was looking at the Spot at Supercross. need to get one.

Glad that you are Ok and that Fuzzy was there to help.

So glad I rode with a group led by Goofy Footer on his noOb ride back in September '12... if it wasnt for him and tntmo, BillP and the others, this noob wouldn't have made it out so good at all.

Here's a pic of my collar bone back in September, and one done a month ago.... It's still broken LOL... but they say they see some new bone connecting :rolleyes:/> .... anyways, again, glad that you are ok, take care.

post-15067-001641700 1366177101_thumb.jp

post-15067-089487600 1366177133_thumb.jp

That is it, we will not have to take these injurys anymore because I am going to design a airbag system for our chest protecters.

Hey I have a scar like that and a big metal plate under it, unbreakable now. Heal up soon (again).

I have one of those prudy scars over my left clavicle. Although, I got mine from dumping the sporty at the track. I also had the hardware taken out 1 1/2 years later. I did this for two reason. 1: to spend time with my new born (work paid for injuries off the job, but not Paternity leave). 2: the bone is stronger (once healed) without screws taking up bone space.

Uncle Champ, I know you were being a bit factitious, but for the sake of others reading this and perhaps yourself, having screws in your bone makes you more prone to being breakable. If you have the hardware removed the bone will fill in on itself making a stronger bone, virtually putting you back the way you were before snapping it. Of course there are a lot of variables to consider before removing hardware e.g., general health, age, body fat, bone issues, etc. In some cases having a plate permanent is the best option.

I can tell you this, next to an ankle sprain I had eons ago that put me in a cast (I thought I broke it the pain was that bad - rolled off another guy's foot coming down from a bball hoop), the clavicle pain was no bueno. The worst part, getting out of the vehicle and in to a wheel chair. CRIKEY that sucked and I have a pretty high pain tolerance. Top that off, I had to wait a week or so before I could have surgery. Sleeping sucked before surgery and after for months. Still have hip/leg circulation issues from that impact.

Oh and I got tons of help from people at the track and my neighbor. I did not know this at the time, but it was my neighbors b-day and he came to help me out. Had to make note of the kindness that was past on to me that day. My clav broke in to 3 pieces.

post-15129-066430900 1366263779_thumb.jp

When for a ride today :rolleyes:/> shoulder good but the Ribs :angry2:/> not good.

Got a look at the hardware Friday, should be able to get a few bucks for scrap when it comes out.

post-13832-059206900 1366520782_thumb.jp

That is it, we will not have to take these injurys anymore because I am going to design a airbag system for our chest protecters.

Someone beat you to the airbag system. Cross country horseback riders use an airbag vest that inflates when they become separated from the horse. Never heard of it being used on a bike though.

Hvywt - thanks for the reminder about riding with friends. Good sign that you are already riding.

Warp9 - Glad you are healing - surprised it isn't good as new by now.

Wow Hvy, did you make that patch yourself? Thats a lot of screws. No more tumbling for you.

Heal up, soon.

Someone beat you to the airbag system. Cross country horseback riders use an airbag vest that inflates when they become separated from the horse. Never heard of it being used on a bike though.

There have been inflatables for at least a handful of years now for motos, from full leather suit setups, to jackets, and vest systems. As well as systems protecting just the neck, and systems protecting the neck and torso. There's a variety of brands. Here's light weight neck protection for dirt bikes, road bikes, mtn bikes, horse riding, etc. All of the inflatables are a bit pricey, but so is surgery.

another system

Those vests are way cool but I am to stupid to let go of bike <_</>

I also surprised WARP9 hasn't come back together/heal.

Champ- Cordless, hand full drywall screws and some flat stock . Good to go :lol:/>

Your X Rays make your point. My sympathy.

Unfortunately for me my favorite riding buddies are long gone and I am by default a lone rider much of the time. To say nothing of the fact that not many people can tolerate me. I have been called every unmentionalble in polite company adjective you can imagine. My dog and my unfortunate wife are the only two life forms that can tolerate my company. One of the hazards of being 29ish (+40). Because I have a second home in Page Az. I ride alone often in remote areas of Escalante Grand Staircase in Southern Utah. In spite of your valid warnings I expect to continue my remote wanderings in the wilderness on my Honda XL's. I can honestly say, however, that when riding alone I have not had even a minor spill. That should tell us something about why most of us actually take spills in the first place.

Your X Rays make your point. My sympathy.

Unfortunately for me my favorite riding buddies are long gone and I am by default a lone rider much of the time. To say nothing of the fact that not many people can tolerate me. I have been called every unmentionalble in polite company adjective you can imagine. My dog and my unfortunate wife are the only two life forms that can tolerate my company. One of the hazards of being 29ish (+40). Because I have a second home in Page Az. I ride alone often in remote areas of Escalante Grand Staircase in Southern Utah. In spite of your valid warnings I expect to continue my remote wanderings in the wilderness on my Honda XL's. I can honestly say, however, that when riding alone I have not had even a minor spill. That should tell us something about why most of us actually take spills in the first place.

That is pretty harsh, but your dog told me you are not that bad.. :lol:

As far as taking spills, the two I was talking about were 1 (alone) kind of saw it coming and 1 with some one, it just happened. I would be lair, it I said I will not ride alone (some times me dog is pissed at me).

I put it out here for the "Reason" for others to get together and maybe spend a little time asking others join them. Who knows if that is what it takes to give them a "Reason" to get out there and ride.

Some of us might have a Wife/husband ,Mother/Dad or person that would just feel better knowing some one is with you.

To say nothing of the fact that not many people can tolerate me.

Don is right :ph34r:

Invite me again when it cools down out there, Don

Vic and I will camp near the river

\

\ To say nothing of the fact that not many people can tolerate me. I have been called every unmentionalble in polite company adjective you can imagine.

\

I put it out here for the "Reason" for others to get together and maybe spend a little time asking others join them. Who knows if that is what it takes to give them a "Reason" to get out there and ride.

Some of us might have a Wife/husband ,Mother/Dad or person that would just feel better knowing some one is with you.

Companion riding is the best and for plain and simple reasons, anything can go wrong at any moment. Having a ride buddy (whether he/she hates or loves you or the other way around), could save a life. I know some people have a Satellite device that can alert others in the event of an emergency and that's great, but nothing can beat having another living human being with you seconds later when in need.

HVYWT, we haven't met, but if our riding skill set is compatible, I'll tolerate riding with you, for your and my safety.

Warp - i'd get another opinion or somebody involved. I wish they would've installed hardware on mine years ago and yours looks like a candidate. Mine was separated about at far.

Don - always enjoy your company - ride with you anytime. Of course, the opposite may not be true....:king:/>

You guys are gracious but two of you actually know me personally, Bikeslut and Trophyhunter. I have ridden with both of these gents and can testify they are worth riding with. I would gladly ride with either anytime. However, my personal life has its uniquenesses. I live part of the year in Page Az and spend a lot of time on the Arizona Srip (North Rim of the Grand Canyon) and Escalante Grand staitcase in Utah. Not many people in this part of the country. Hence I spend a lot of time riding alone in remote areas. When you live here it is not really remote, just peaceful.