Crawdaddy

MX Boots on a budget

My Alpine Stars are toast.....my Sidi's are beyond repair......anybody using budget boots (~$250 or less) that they're happy with? (I wear size 11(E) and wear my shin guards inside the boot with over the boot pants)

Was looking at Fox Comp 5's - ~$200

Forma Terrain TX Boots

I've not used these but they look pretty good for the price. You can see a review video at Atomic-moto.

They claim the boots have a wide toebox and large assortment of sizes. (up to a 49)

$249.95

They rate then better than the Tech 7s....

Check them out on the site. Maybe someone on here has them and could give some first hand....

I try to stay away from Fox equipment. I think they are just riding along on a name they made in the past.

(just my opinion)

The two type of boots you've had in the past are really heavy compo but for the price these are worth a look.

Black or White only... Sorry; no Orange!

Hope this helps

I have used older versions of the Forma brand boots, and they worked out pretty well. The newer ones should even work better. I also have worn Fox Comp 5s, which are very comfortable, but don't offer much protection against bigger impacts, and also fall apart pretty fast. I am currently wearing NoFear Trophee boots that are holding up pretty well and offer good impact protection. Unfortunately they are not being manufactured anymore. I would probably pick up a set of the new Formas after I wear these NoFears out. For the most part you get what you pay for and I don't think you'll find much of anything that will perform well for under 250 bucks.

Guest Crusty

I have a brand new set of black Alpine Star boots size 12 for $225.00 wear extra socks.

Just handed down my Alpinestars to the 16 yr old and bought myself Gaerne SG 10's on-line.

Don't think much of the Alpine, the buckels suck,and oh yea I have a broken leg !

The Fox if it's the same one that looks like Sidi Nice.

Have you looked at the Gaerne GX-1?

Don't think much of the Alpine, the buckels suck,and oh yea I have a broken leg !

WD40 sprayed into the latch occasionally will solve one of these issues.

I have heard great things about this place http://www.factoryresole.com/

They repair as well as resole

Thanks Jim - Perhaps I'll swing by this place and see if they deem either pair salvageable.......Paul mentioned this outfit to me earlier but I haven't been by there since I work in Poway now.....

WD40 sprayed into the latch occasionally will solve one of these issues.

I have tried silcon , WD40 and wax. The wierd thing is if you can reach with both hands hold one side it works.

Just because I old and fat and can not reach with both hands they suck :lol:

so... how do you guys buy boots on-line? I can't imagine plunking down $300 for something I can't try on (foot-wise... jerseys, etc, fine)

Helmets either... comfort matters on these two pieces more so than anything else, and I REALLY need to try it on

maybe others have "off the rack" type feet and heads

so... how do you guys buy boots on-line?

I mostly buy brands that I am familiar with already.

so... how do you guys buy boots on-line? I can't imagine plunking down $300 for something I can't try on (foot-wise... jerseys, etc, fine)

Helmets either... comfort matters on these two pieces more so than anything else, and I REALLY need to try it on

maybe others have "off the rack" type feet and heads

yeah, its a crapshot. The last helmet I bought online from motorcycle superstore and had to send it back. With them it only costs $5. Second try was perfect.

I have about 6 pair of these Chris. I have acquired them over the years. Just rotate and oil them every year.

Had them over 30 years. Never an injury or problem.

http://www.ebay.com/...vectorid=229466

Those are possibly the coolest boots i've ever seen.

Online purchase - I bought my last 2 pair ( Gaerne SG-10 and Gaerne G-Adventure ) from AtomicMoto. Brian is great to deal with and will talk you thru fit on the phone and takes back boots until it's right - YOU pay shipping...but no restock. It took me a few boots to get to the G-ADV and he was very easy to deal with and just wanted things right in the end.

I'm having a tough time not buying THESE just cuz they remind me of when I was a kid.....kinda like Zenozan's go to boot. Not as protective, but very much in my memory.

CD check out the Oneil boots. I bought a pair at the CP west sidewalk sale 2 years ago for $149.00. I wasn't expecting much from them but they have turned out to be a GREAT lightweight boot. I don't know what they make the sole out of, but they have outlasted ALL other boots I have tried. I doubt I will ever go back to paying $400.00 plus for boots.

Online purchase - I bought my last 2 pair ( Gaerne SG-10 and Gaerne G-Adventure ) from AtomicMoto. Brian is great to deal with and will talk you thru fit on the phone and takes back boots until it's right - YOU pay shipping...but no restock. It took me a few boots to get to the G-ADV and he was very easy to deal with and just wanted things right in the end.

I'm having a tough time not buying THESE just cuz they remind me of when I was a kid.....kinda like Zenozan's go to boot. Not as protective, but very much in my memory.

Ken, what a find. I had these too, now I what a pair.

I have heard great things about this place http://www.factoryresole.com/

They repair as well as resole

Thanks Jim - Perhaps I'll swing by this place and see if they deem either pair salvageable.......Paul mentioned this outfit to me earlier but I haven't been by there since I work in Poway now.....

This place can work miracles. Especially if it's just the soles, but he can fix holes, tears, wear, etc. I had a pair of Alpine Tech 8's fixed and new soles a few years back and they were like new. Nice guy too!

If buying new, personally I wouldn't go cheap. I tried that on a pair of Fox boots to save a few bucks and my feet were killing me the 2 times I used them, so I gave them to a buddy. Cheap boots take forever to break in! For all the riding you do, I wouldn't waste your money on a cheap pair. Just my .02.

Dropped th esidi's off with my local Cleaners in Ramona......they send'em down to Sam's in El Cajon for a quote/repair: http://www.yelp.com/biz/sams-boot-and-shoe-repair-el-cajon

They quoted me $40 to sew'em up (stitching blown out badly on the outside of both boots and the right toe) and re-attaching one sole that came apart at the boot)......I'll report back.....

One other thing, if you have a pair of Alpinestars (and maybe other?) I had a pair of Tech 8's and a plastic molding came off after like 5-6 years. Obviously well out of warranty. But I called Alpine to see if they would fix them and they said they can't, but sold me an out of box display pair they had laying around in my size. I think they were $140 or $150? Very cheap whatever it was. Practically new! Great customer service. Worth a call!