Uncle Champ

Broken

OK just for fun I went riding Sunday and found what was left of a cool old trail and it went thru still! It might have been easier on horseback, but it has everything, rocks, logs, downhill. Long story short I didn't know when to stop and kept riding,Kernan etc. till after dark. Feeling quite bulletproof I over rode my stock headlight on the road out of Corral, slippery , 5th gear , did I mention stupidity? Anyway the ER doctor stated that if I hadn't all my gear on - well what do they know? So 6 to 8 weeks from now I will be riding again, the good news is no surgery required and the bike is OK.

I looks like no riding at the dash , just think how shiny my bike will be by then.

Lesson? ATGATT! Oh yeah don't believe that you are bulletproof.

C Ya on the trails soon.

That sucks, glad it's not worse though.

8 weeks will go by quick. What did you break? My cast will come off next week giving me a total of 14 weeks. Only being able walk on it this last week.

How long before you can ride?

I asked my doctor that question and made sure I said Off road. He said when I say you can! 3-4 months out, maybe.

Upside is I will have my new Suz, and my freshly gone through Honda waiting for me. GOSH DARN, I cant wait!

So sorry to hear that. What exactly is bent/broken? How bad?

The older I get (am I'm gettin pretty damned old) the more I keep realizing how (much more) easily breakable I am. Lot's of my younger days injuries are also coming back to plague me as arthritis, stiffness and chronic pain. I'm finding that I still like to get out there but that there is a balance to the thrill/enjoyment and the consequences both short term and long term.

Take care of yourself and live to ride another day. Ride smarter and longer!

This is disappointing news...I've riden the Dash with you and Ben for the last three years! Every year when I show up to the Dash I'm more pumped then the previous year, bragging about I'm in better shape this year or I put new tires on or I've worked on my technique, or i've dialed in the carb it'll start first kick after dumping it, etc, pleading & promising this will be the year you guys won't have to wait for me at any of the forks. But every year by the time I catch up, you all have debarked the bikes, releaved yourselves, and have had time to consume half of an energy bar. I think you've fabricated the "Broken" story to ditch the anchor at this years Dash...Is Ben in on this too???

Well...as long as the bike is OK...then get better UC!

Paint it black and it'll look like a boot. Upshifting will be kind of tuff...

Heal up quick

Paint it black and it'll look like a boot. Upshifting will be kind of tuff...

A coathanger would solve the upshift problem

Did you ride the bike out?

Get well soon UC. I assume you were riding alone? How did you get out alone?

Hey folks thanks for the concern, I like the idea of painting the cast black, having the toes stick out could be bad. Yea I rode out I couldn't support my weight and at first I thought the shifter was broken but I figured out how to shift and it was OK until I had to unlock the gate and get in the house, shower etc., I really didn't think it was broken so I wrapped it and waited till morning when I could borrow an automatic car to go the doc. Turns out the Fibula is broken down low , its casted at an angle(that was fun), but that way I will probably avoid surgery.

As to the condition of the bike I'm sure it's fine I have not got to shine it and inspect for damage but I have time for that.

Anyway thanks for the thoughts and I hope to come to dash, we will see.

Uncle Champ.

Last night I was going to say you and I should get together, but I had to go to the Dr's today.

Same break, other leg, cast was black, I broke my cast 2 or 3 days after I got it at work, but it still did the job so no big deal.

Went today got Xray and sense cast was broke he allowed me into walking boot, sweet!

No more Captin Morgan showers . If you don't know what I'm talking about you will.

Good Luck

Smooth moves friend.

I bet you were just having the best of times that night too.

B)

I guess you'll be healed up just in time for mountain riding season.

Hey folks thanks for the concern, I like the idea of painting the cast black, having the toes stick out could be bad. Yea I rode out I couldn't support my weight and at first I thought the shifter was broken but I figured out how to shift and it was OK until I had to unlock the gate and get in the house, shower etc., I really didn't think it was broken so I wrapped it and waited till morning when I could borrow an automatic car to go the doc. Turns out the Fibula is broken down low , its casted at an angle(that was fun), but that way I will probably avoid surgery.

As to the condition of the bike I'm sure it's fine I have not got to shine it and inspect for damage but I have time for that.

Uncle Champ.

So what kind of boots do you wear? You figure down low should be protected the most.

U.C. were you wearing knee braces ? I think that's what broke mine about 4in above foot, maybe 6in.

Uncle Champ.

So what kind of boots do you wear? You figure down low should be protected the most.

Gaerne Boots, same as mine. They are really comfortable, from day one they felt great on your feet. And nice too walk in, but I can see where they would leave you vulnerable for that injury being so flexible around the ankle. Bummer, but if your lower leg wouldn't have given way, it would have probably been your knee that blows out next, and that would really hurt. Total Bummer your not going to get to see my first DD, but thanks for getting me signed up. Heal Up Quick.

BTW, I got some thin metal, a big hammer, and a torch. I'm sure we can hammer out a little cone for your toes to slide into over your cast. Then we can weld a little tab on the side so you can shift. And there you go, back in business. :D

Hope you heal quickly . :party:/> ..at least you'll be back by late spring, better than getting hurt in the hot summer too....

( saw your note on the black cast, thats what I got when I broke my hand....goes with everything! :coolio:/> )

Cast off! Heel hurts from bruise on bottom from cast before I pulverized it. Doctor say's never to ride again. Something about hi-energy life changing injuries waa de dah. 4 weeks or so more.

Cast off! Heel hurts from bruise on bottom from cast before I pulverized it. Doctor say's never to ride again. Something about hi-energy life changing injuries waa de dah. 4 weeks or so more.

Im glad you'll be back soon. Bolt up a bigger headlight and catch you in Puerto Nuevo soon!