atckirk

Dual Sport Rider thinking of trying some racing

I love Dual Sporting but sometimes want to go a little faster! Would my 520exc be suitable for some Hare & Hound, Desert Scrambles or European Scrambles? Don't really have an interest in a track so the Grand Prix is out. How important is it to have a pit crew, I'm lucky to get my family out more than a couple times a year for camping. Thanks for any info. Kirk.

That's a great bike for our local desert races. Pit crew isn't really necessary unless you break down, but helpful if you need fuel for sure. The next race after the summer break is The Rattlesnake Chase, Sept. 23. If you want to come out, let me know, you can pit with us and I'll help you out any way I can. That goes for Goofy Footer and anyone else that wants to give it a try. I'd be really happy to show up with 3 or 4 new guys, and if needed I'll sit out a race and pit for everyone.

I just watched On Any Sunday and have to admit I'm itching for a little competition myself. Might have to take you up on the offer if it's still open come the 3rd week of september.

I would suggest heading to a local track and get tuned up a little (best idea is an MX or offroad school Ryno, Dubach, Smith, Watts etc) A controlled environment on a track is good for tuning your self up. Get out on a local track and cut laps, but dont get too caught up in one line, tune for offroad aim for weird lines and rough stuff. For example the new Marty Smith MX park in east county, the track looks novice friendly and should be a low crowd place. Again best is school, next is seat time.

Be careful doing fist time desert racing in September it can be hot. Bring lots of water and make sure to drink while riding and wet you clothes each lap.

Any advice on what class and bike to run? I'm loosely thinking a 05 and up YZ-125. A KTM 200 mxc looks like it would be sweet. (I hope I'm not hijacking this thread)

Any advice on what class and bike to run? I'm loosely thinking a 05 and up YZ-125. A KTM 200 mxc looks like it would be sweet. (I hope I'm not hijacking this thread)

if you are under 30, you can run 125cc, 250cc, or open(251cc+) classes. 30+ and you can use any size bike and ride in your age class.

125s are a little brutal to ride in the sand dunes IMO but it can be done if you keep your momentum and keep it in the power band. a 250 2T or 4T or 200 2T is probably easier to ride for non experts. I always got way better starts on a 2T (dead engine) but it always sucked going 75MPH+ on a 2T.

Any true desert racer knows there is only one bike for Dez racing.

Covered in Old

The 1988 Honda NX250. Goofy, I will get that front brake working in time for the desert race season!

Any true desert racer knows there is only one bike for Dez racing.

Covered in Old

I'd certainly ride a Rickman, but not in a desert race! ;)

Id like to do this race as well. I haven't raced before either and im pretty slow, but it sounds like fun.

Would an open class bike ie 510 be appropriate at this race or is it more of a hare scramble?

Thanks!

Id like to do this race as well. I haven't raced before either and im pretty slow, but it sounds like fun.

Would an open class bike ie 510 be appropriate at this race or is it more of a hare scramble?

Thanks!

a 500 is fine for any of these races. none of them are really technical. but they are tiring! and it will be HOT in Sept so bring a camel back and fill it with ice and water. and refill it between laps and have your pit crew hose you down between laps or you WILL get a heat stroke.

I love Dual Sporting but sometimes want to go a little faster!

That's kind of a funny statement. :blink:

Just twist the throttle more !

And/or find faster people to go riding with. :torch:

Seriously, racing is great fun and an awesome rush.

Lots of good suggestions so far and I would add ,train then go training some more and after that train some more. The better shape you're in the better you'll do in the race in the later stages. Run new tires it'll help a lot in a desert race.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I think I may just go out to watch the first one, I'm not as good in the heat as I used to be when I lived in Vegas. Later in the season I may try one though, it sounds like fun.

Kirk.

A little less than 3 weeks before the Rattlesnake Chase. Anybody still want to come try it out?

Jeff, post up a practice desert ride in the next weekend or two and I will go with you.

Will do my best, Brad. I really need to ride before that race, but my kids started soccer, so it looks like I'm going to be busy every Saturday for the next 14 years or so. I may be able to sneak out for an early Sunday ride, though.