Goofy Footer

Roll Call: Who Carries an Extra Clutch Lever

I have never carried an extra clutch lever until.....

post-14322-093846300 1332565585_thumb.jp

Now I'm tempted to carry an extra one but my friend is making fun of me. So... which of you all carry an extra clutch lever? Have you had to use it? Give me the support I need!

And yes, I have acerbis handguards.

Usually - and a shift lever. 2 simple things it's tough to get home without.

I carry one clutch lever and one shift lever.rode home with A vise grip for A shift lever once. no fun.

Usually - and a shift lever. 2 simple things it's tough to get home without.

Notch you levers with a rotary tool at least 30% out from the pivot; if you drop it the lever will break away from the pivot.

Old Endurance Racing tricks come in handy, you can crash and limp to the pit/tech (if it is bad) or even continue until your planned stop.

That said, I only carry levers on certain bikes.

Notch you levers with a rotary tool at least 30% out from the pivot; if you drop it the lever will break away from the pivot.

Like it, but wonder if it makes it weaker in a minor get off that wouldn't have broken it. I used to run a small cable from my shift lever & brake lever to the frame. Keeps brush from getting in there and bending stuff or just from bending on a tip over. Or losing the shift lever.

I do carry both a clutch and shift lever. While on a very simple, low-speed low-side (I've dropped the bike like that a million times and nothing happened), I broke my shift lever, and my ankle!! I was going maybe 10 mph when I came upon a sharp left turn at the top of the hill, locked the rear brake and the rear end just came around and the bike went down on the left side. Again, I've dropped the bike on the left side a million times, and nothing ever happened. This time the tab on the shift lever broke off. We were in the AZ desert on a loop of the Grand Canyon. Luckily we were only 25 miles from payment. Since I was in quite a bit of pain, Paul was nice enough to swap out my shift lever, and I was able to shift using my left heel (no way was I able to shift normally). So I suggest carrying one.

i-Mfh4jnC-L.jpg

While I still do carry a clutch lever, I haven't broken one at all since I installed my Highway Dirtbike guards, and don't know if it is even possible to break one with these things on!

1162314372_RCCNW-L.jpg

And don't think that I don't drop the bike. I've dropped it so many times I can't even keep count anymore. The guards take a hell of a beating, but still keep everything where it should be. I also think they strengthen the bars a bit, since they are bolted to the top clamp.

i-7httvQ6-L.jpg

Moose handguards and Recluse, they must bend a little with droppage though, I really needed my brakes at Corral the other day but the front lever was bound against the handguard, Drats!

I carry a brake and clutch lever for my Kawasakis. I have never broken or bent a lever when I had a KTM, and also no breakage or bending to my Husqvarna levers, so I haven't carried spares for my Euro bikes. I suppose that I have just been lucky with the TE and ought to order some spares. :coolio:

On longer rides I carry a spare clutch & brake lever handles, I also carry an extra shift pedal. I have used these spares on the trail, saved me much misery.

Example:

Two weeks ago, rode my trusty XR250 from Tecate, CA to Laguna Hansen, 180 miles round trip. At dusk, up in the mountains, ~50 miles from the truck, I hit a rock in a bush in the trail and tweeked my shifter sideways. Bent it back to place, rode two miles then it snapped. Our leader was concerned about our ride slowing to a crawl and getting back at 12am or later. I acted worthless for a couple minutes and then pulled out the extra shifter and fixed it, much to everyones relief. The last 20 miles were after dark and freezing even with the shifter fixed, could have been much worse. Carrying this gear is worth the tiny extra weight IMO!

I usually don't carry clutch cables, but on the few occasions I have, I actually needed/used it once.

clutch lever, shift lever - both

even with aluminum bark busters

another suggestion (actually two)

Zeta, ASV or other folding lever AND running the perch screws on the loose side. Watch a supercross guy throw his bike away and he picks it up and bumps the lever back in to position.

When I broke my clutch cable at corral it wasn't a big deal, I just had to ride some obstacles faster than usual, and starting sucked.

When I used to go to Mexico on the DR350, I had a spare clutch cable routed and in place

I definitely do after an asphalt adventure last year. I guess I could've ridden the bike to the hospital if I could've started it. No clutchy, no starty (and I tried).

Randy was on the scene and helped move my bike (and assorted pieces) from the road, but the clutch lever was toast. :blush:

I now carry an extra in my tool bag.

AND running the perch screws on the loose side.

+1

I do a couple wraps of teflon tape under the perchs as well.

And if you break a perch, it's good to have a spare one of those, or some way to get the broken one to function.

100_0622.jpg

I carry spare clutch and brake levers, and spare shift lever.

On long rides, I also carry a spare rear brake lever.

Also carry other spares for the 950, but then again I have plenty of room on big rides with the panniers to carry spares.

Like it, but wonder if it makes it weaker in a minor get off that wouldn't have broken it.

Yes, it does but that is the point. ;) The lever may break in a smaller fall, but on a multi-week ride being able to limp into a town for a part or weld-up could be the difference in being stranded and having a few beers. :coolio:

When my team raced the 24 hour endurance races (closed Course AMA and WERA supported Road Racing) the cheapest and easiest solution was to notch the lever. If you fell you were most likely going to break the levers or more anyway, but if you could stay off the crash truck and re-pass technical inspection you could keep racing.

After I dropped Pro_Boy off in Utah I continued my ride across the border then down the CDR solo. I had two drops in one day :blush: , the first one broke the lever at the notch, the second broke the lever at the perch; I pulled my spare ever out after that and picked up another the first chance I got. If I had broken the lever at the perch on both drops I may have been hosed, I had not seen another person all day and did not see anyone for over 24 hours after the second drop.

Clutch lever from the dealer for a Husky, $52.00 (hydraulic) Almost 25% of the price for the guards.

I have Highway Dirtbikes guards now, Expensive but strong as hell, plus the mirrors are cool.

I carry a brake and clutch lever for my Kawasakis. I have never broken or bent a lever when I had a KTM, and also no breakage or bending to my Husqvarna levers, so I haven't carried spares for my Euro bikes. I suppose that I have just been lucky with the TE and ought to order some spares. :coolio:

Use to carry an extra clutch lever and perch with my RM250's. Also had the clutch and brake perches slughtly loose so they would rotate when I dumped the bikes.

Guest Crusty

[quote name='Steve_k' timestamp='1332633837' post='124969'

Also had the clutch and brake perches slughtly loose so they would rotate when I dumped the bikes.

X 680 to loose perches, very important set up tip.

You should be able to hit the perch with your palm and have them move.

ASV. levers don't break, worth every penny.

IMS. folding shift lever.

Full metal wrap around hand guards.

Who needs brakes?

No spares or McGuyver fixes, needed for myself in 15 years.

Old Endurance Racing tricks come in handy, you can crash and limp to the pit/tech (if it is bad) or even continue until your planned stop.

That said, I only carry levers on certain bikes.

Steelrain, If you have one maybe you could post a pic of how your doing that. Thanks

I carry the small vice grips. Granted clutch/brake levers are better. The vice grips work well...

lever.jpg

I don't carry any, I'm pretty sure I could ride back from most places without the clutch if needed. Don't think I've actually broken a clutch lever ever on a KTM I remember back in the 70's and 80's if the bike fell over on the kick stand the levers would break but not now.

CiD