I was planning on riding with the two kids; at the last minute Eric backed out, so it was just the two of us... me on the DRZ and Morgan on the TTR125

Figured we would take it easy, and ride the easy trails... trail one almost to the end, before I remembered that I forgot to lock the truck... ran back to find it WAS locked, so this time, we took trail two

damn kid was so fast, it was hard to get unstaged pictures of him (yes... I know... that just means I am slow)

trail two as he motors away from me

DSCN8679.jpg

riding up to the tower via Spur Meadow, we stopped for a breather

DSCN8681.jpg

came down from the tower and rode the perimeter road... Morgan airing it out a bit

DSCN8682.jpg

I don't recognize this trail

DSCN8680.jpg

Morgan riding Ranger!

DSCN8683.jpg

another breather along Ranger... he was getting a bit of arm pump, but at this point I hadn't helped him at all; right behind me the whole time

DSCN8684.jpg

next obstacle

DSCN8685.jpg

truth be told, he cleared this before I was even off the bike... so I made him turn around and go down it, so I could take a picture coming back up... so he totally endo'd going down it... good thing he was all geared up. He hardly ever rides, so didn't have much gear that fits him anymore. He was wearing my knee guards, and my armor. Good thing; he didn't get hurt at all... so... back up the step

DSCN8686.jpg

end of pictures... on Ranger I hit a tree... the ONLY bush out there I would call a tree. I was going fairly fast, and it knocked me clean off the bike, smashing my shoulder on the tree, and my wrist on the ground. As mentioned, he was wearing my armor, so my shoulder hurts, but no serious damage.

at this point, as I am getting my bike upright, he mentions he has no front brake!.. good thing we are going uphill! I break out the tools, and find one of the fittings on his front brake is weeping a little... tighten it up, and try to bleed the brake, but not knowing how much fluid was lost, I gave up when it would not work. Couldn't get any brake pressure. So; 9 months without riding, and he is riding the rest of Ranger with a wounded leader and no front brake... TWO more "obstacles" to go... a rocky climb and the final step.

I hear him stall out on the rocky climb, and start to walk back towards him... bike starts back up, then stalls again... then starts right back up, and he is right next to me in seconds.... he said he stalled (actually HE said "the bike stalled", and I said "no- YOU stalled the bike"... what a guy) and habitualy grabbed front brake to stop from falling back and the brake actually worked! He said, it would've been a long fall down a rocky hill if it didn't ... he was really glad it did

later on, right near the top, my temp light came on, but the fan never kicked in; guess I have to sort that out. We waited for the DRZ to cool, then came back on 11, perimeter road, 2 and 1

the boy did great! did not need any help on Ranger (other than me righting his bike after I made him "turn around and do it again")

I actually had a harder time than he did it seemed... not that it would shock anybody

nice to see him riding so well after such a long hiatus- high school and traveling team soccer is a full time commitment, so he may not ride for another 9 months

came down from the tower and rode the perimeter road... Morgan airing it out a bit

DSCN8682.jpg

I've got a picture of my son just like this from a few years back.

012-3.jpg

It's been a long time since he and I rode Corral Canyon. Glad to see you had a good time and made it back mostly in one piece, get out and ride with your kids more!

DSCN8687.jpg

end of trail! Mission completed

Good job and tell him well done! looks like he's ready for a "real" bike even tho Ranger might be easier on the smaller ones. I got to ride with one of my boys too this week up there, great times!!

DSCN8687.jpg

end of trail! Mission completed

Good job and tell him well done! looks like he's ready for a "real" bike even tho Ranger might be easier on the smaller ones. I got to ride with one of my boys too this week up there, great times!!

yeah- he's ridden my DRZ and WR250F- no doubt the TTR was a good bike to ride Ranger on

torquey little power plant, FEATHER weight and low... almost trials-bike-like. a 250F or a 250 2-stroke would be a good bike for him, but it doesn't make sense to buy him a bike when he rides twice a year

I'll be getting a good bonus this year, so will re-assess the whole garage, and reconfigure as appropriate

I'll pass on the words of ecouragement- I told him, and could tell from the smile on his face, he KNEW he rode some tough stuff, and kept up with me just fine.

Sweet I can't wait till i can take my boy out with me. He is only 3 so i have some time to get better :lol:

Enjoy the times with them, some of my best memories of my son is dirt bike riding with him and his friends. Trust me when I say this, now that he is off to school and his own life, I find myself wishing he was young again.

Dump soccer and inroll him in Marty Smiths riding school. He lives only a couple blocks away from you.

Dump soccer and inroll him in Marty Smiths riding school. He lives only a couple blocks away from you.

it's not about the sport... it's about his friends

that's my take anyway; same when I was in High School... you do what your friends do, and he has grown up playing soccer with these guys since he was 4

it's the sport- it's the friends- it's the girls

He'll keep riding bikes when he gets a chance (like I did), then get old and rediscover bike riding as a fun way to see nature... it's all good

Enjoy the times with them, some of my best memories of my son is dirt bike riding with him and his friends. Trust me when I say this, now that he is off to school and his own life, I find myself wishing he was young again.

I agree. Got my son on his first bike (XR100) when he was 8, and he moved up to a CRF150 and now on a YZF250 (which he is selling and wants a CRF450). He's 19 now and it is still something he and I can enjoy each others company doing and that we have years of memories because of it. Like you, I miss the days when he was younger, but I feel grateful that we were able to do this and create all the great memories.

so it was just the two of us... me on the DRZ and Morgan on the TTR125

Good work! :good: He is lucky to have such a cool dad that takes him riding. :friends:

so it was just the two of us... me on the DRZ and Morgan on the TTR125

Good work! :good: He is lucky to have such a cool dad that takes him riding. :friends:

Todd- thanks again for the carb work on the TTR... it starts so much better now

Very cool! He's a lucky kid to have a dad that will take him out riding like that. :coolio:

Thanks...it's awesome to read this!!! Glad you guys enjoyed a great day together..:coolio:

....being a proud mom....I also love riding with my son, ( and less often daughter) my son and I are both very excited to head to superstition for this weekend, NOW with 2 KTM's... (I'd like to keep him in the dirt, and not so much on the street for riding....)

Thanks...it's awesome to read this!!! Glad you guys enjoyed a great day together..:coolio:

....being a proud mom....I also love riding with my son, ( and less often daughter) my son and I are both very excited to head to superstition for this weekend, NOW with 2 KTM's... (I'd like to keep him in the dirt, and not so much on the street for riding....)

I need to take the family out to Superstition this winter for sure... group SDAR event in March maybe?

Nice write-up Bob, glad to see you and Morgan got some quality time.

We did the family run with our friends from Kauai on Monday. Tommy borrowed the Mighty 540 for a ride and brought it back with a broken handguard and demolished tailpiece, but it was one of those once-in-a-great-while rides that I cherish so much now that he's at CS Fullerton.

Keep them close and hug them often...

Ok, Apparently I suck at riding as I'm the only SDAR member who hasn't ridden Ranger cleanly :P Awesome ride, looks like a lot of fun...And to think I haven't ridden an actual trail in almost a year...need to fix that!