akcooper9

All American KTM Rant

What is with local businesses? I called them up yesterday to see if they could charge a rear shock and I was dumb founded at how ignorant and rude the guy on the phone was. Then to top is all off, they wanted 20 bucks to recharge a shock :blink: (BTW it costs 15 bucks to fill a 22 cu ft cylinder at Airgas Way in Kearny Mesa oh and Precision Concepts will charge the shock for 5 bucks but they aren't open Thursday or Friday)

Needless to I did not taking my business there (nor will I in the future) This was NOT the first time I've been treated like that either...its a shame because they are local.

Sorry for the rant :ph34r:

Wow, really? Sorry to hear you've had bad experiences there. Those guys always take really good care of us and we don't even own KTMs. Just last week Baldbeemer needed a part for his DRZ400. He called around and All American got the part for cheaper than anywhere else and had it in the next day.

As long as we're grousing about poor customer service, and you mentioned this other place in your post, I wouldn't EVER do business with M&M (formerly Precision Concepts)after the way they treated me....I don't care how cheap their price of recharging a shock is (which I never need, because I have my own recharging equipment). :torch:

Wow, really? Sorry to hear you've had bad experiences there. Those guys always take really good care of us and we don't even own KTMs. Just last week Baldbeemer needed a part for his DRZ400. He called around and All American got the part for cheaper than anywhere else and had it in the next day.

X2 on that Mistress. I think overall we all have had a good experience there. I hope it wasnt RJ that helped you cuz there is a new guy.

As long as we're grousing about poor customer service, and you mentioned this other place in your post, I wouldn't EVER do business with M&M (formerly Precision Concepts)after the way they treated me....I don't care how cheap their price of recharging a shock is (which I never need, because I have my own recharging equipment). :torch:

LOL M&M is another topic...

And while price is (some what) important, I was more pissed of about the service.

Oh and what do you have for a charging system..did you build it or buy?

I was in the ramona ktm shop last week looking at bikes, I guess I did'nt look like I had any money on me so I was ignored, oh well, just purchased my TE630 OTD for $8700, he should have asked what was in my fanny pack! and how many bikes I buy a year, I guess he could have called fun bike center since I purchased 3 bikes in 09 from them. alyeska

Oh and what do you have for a charging system..did you build it or buy?

I bought a high pressure hose, got the next to smallest nitrogen bottle, a GOOD set of regulator gauges (don't skimp on this, I built a cheap set from separate components previously, but it pooped out), and still had the T-bleeder from when I owned Fox Air shocks back in the late 70s. I have a bunch of bikes to do maintenance on, and do other people's shocks as well.

IMG_0228.jpg

Unfortunately many dealers (many businesses for that matter) have employees that only care about getting a paycheck. Too many people today have the attitude, "pay me more and I will work harder," instead of work harder and you will pay me more. After retiring from the Marine Corps I was shocked at the work ethics I have ran into. I went into a dealership with 4 grand cash and a 2 grand trade-in thinking about buying a 2010 KTM 690. Told the salesman what I was looking for and wanted them to put a Kouba-Link on the bike. Offered me MSRP plus $150.00 for the link and fee to put it on. Let's just say I do not own a 690. There is only one local motorcycle place I will give my money, because the service is excellent and the people are friendly (Performance-Motorsports in San Juan Capistrano). I personally do not care if the local guy goes belly up if his service sucks. I do most of my business on-line. I can research it, compare prices and buy from the comfort of my house. Performance gets all my business for tires, oil, filters and the like because of there great service. I actually brought a customer there and helped them sell him a new bike. I probably spend 5%-10% more on stuff I buy there than I need to, but because of the quality of service and there bike knowledge the extra money is worth it. The one thing I can not stand is going into a place of business and an employee acts like he/she is doing you a favor. I make an honest attempt to treat all my costumers (I own an internet parts store) like they are the most important thing in the world to me. I feel I need to earn there business. I do research for them and will even tell them don't buy my item if it not in there best interest (funny how I actually make more sales that way). I expect the same service, if I don't get it, I move on. If you buy my products, you are doing me a favor, they can buy from anyone, but they chose me. I could rant for hours on this.

I've had very good service from All American and I believe RJ to be the most knowledgeable guy in the area on KTM's. They do a lot of internet business and sometimes are on the phone to much, but because RJ gives good quality service he takes a little longer with each customer. M&M seems to be a personal or acquired taste. Mark has always done a fast and quality job on all my work and I'd recommend them for any suspension work. Both of these shops are enthusiast type shops and are involved in the sport personally and that's a rarity in these days of big corporate stores(Motoworld).

I've had very good service from All American and I believe RJ to be the most knowledgeable guy in the area on KTM's.

This has been my experience with AAKTM, I highly endorse them, and shall continue to do business with them in the future.

My cameras, studio, lighting , insurance, and yes, my income are all factors in the fees I charge. And if a bottle of gas and some hoses is all that's needed, it would be much wiser to go buy that and do it yourself rather that take the time and energy to whine about someone's business.

It's my strongest possible suggestion that those who lack understanding of how a business is run, and the costs and risk affiliated with entrepreneurial endeavors, might try doing it sometime. I suspect they'd find the experience both humbling and educational.

I called them up yesterday to see if they could charge a rear shock and I was dumb founded at how ignorant and rude the guy on the phone was.

Can you elaborate on this? What did he say that was rude and ignorant. I'm just curious. The only thing you mentioned was that you thought his prices were high.

This has been my experience with AAKTM, I highly endorse them, and shall continue to do business with them in the future.

My cameras, studio, lighting , insurance, and yes, my income are all factors in the fees I charge. And if a bottle of gas and some hoses is all that's needed, it would be much wiser to go buy that and do it yourself rather that take the time and energy to whine about someone's business.

It's my strongest possible suggestion that those who lack understanding of how a business is run, and the costs and risk affiliated with entrepreneurial endeavors, might try doing it sometime. I suspect they'd find the experience both humbling and educational.

The price was not the issue (more of a laughing matter) it was the SERVICE. Thats what the 'whine' was about :crazy:

In fact, I already order a tank and guages from Airgas Way! So much for their leap of faith/knowledge of cost/risk etc to run their endeavor :heh:

Instead of treating me with respect, they not only lost my 20 bucks but any future money for me and the word of mouth that goes with it...yup its humbling and educational!

RJ is the most honest and straightforward guy around and his helpers are always friendly as well. I'm surprised you had any problems with them.

You will never make everyone happy, and you cannot control your employees 100% of the time, as far as price thats regional,(gas in borregos springs is $4.49 gallon, lettuce is $3.50 a head) 20+ years doing business and living in coronado no one went away unhappy about service, price was another story! alyeska

The price was not the issue (more of a laughing matter) it was the SERVICE. Thats what the 'whine' was about :crazy:

In fact, I already order a tank and guages from Airgas Way! So much for their leap of faith/knowledge of cost/risk etc to run their endeavor :heh:

Instead of treating me with respect, they not only lost my 20 bucks but any future money for me and the word of mouth that goes with it...yup its humbling and educational!

Years in the advertising business (and now social media) have proven to me that word of mouth is very mouth-dependent.

There's no doubt you had an experience that did not meet your expectations. But subsequent posts show an overwhelming support for an individual and business who's service and attitude have not only helped many members on many occasions (myself included) but has shown support and largess for our sport through our club here.

He's a good guy, and good guys repeatedly endorse him and All American KTM.

Everyones personal experience will differ, just vote with your dollars and where you spend em! How about those padres! alyeska

Everyones personal experience will differ, just vote with your dollars and where you spend em! How about those padres! alyeska

Padres rule! Get out and support your local team slackers.

RJ is the most honest and straightforward guy around and his helpers are always friendly as well. I'm surprised you had any problems with them.

I agree with this ^. I bought a used, non KTM bike from RJ and found him and his shop wonderful to deal with. On a side note, most dealerships ream you on nitrogen charges because, although it's necesary for them to have that equipment, just the time involved in having a employee fill a shock bladder is more than $10. The best deal I have found is at Lee's cycle on Areo Dr.; they charge $5 and you wait less than 15 minutes for the refill.

I've supported/endorsed AAKTM for years.....I wouldn't do that without good cause.....

You gotta put nitrogen in your shocks? I always just hook em up to the garden hose.

Covered in Water

You gotta put nitrogen in your shocks? I always just hook em up to the garden hose.

I always like halogen for my rear shock, so I can see where I've been when I go night riding. :crazy:

I've found that All American has been very knowledgeable when dealing with my bikes over the years. I could get bike work done faster somewhere else, and probably pay a little more, but I feel like they care about my bike and their quality of work. I do feel like they care about making my bike right. I've had various experiences at shops in San Diego, and I can honestly say that my dealings with RJ and C&D Cycle Center have been favorable. Not everyone is going to get a great experience every time at every shop, but I believe if you bring your issue to their attention, they want to help you get it resolved. No shop wants bad press, that kills a business faster than anything else.

Aaron, if RJ was a jerk to ya, that's definitely a reason to have an issue with the shop. If one of his guys was less than helpful, I would make note of it and speak to RJ about it. A good boss wants to know how his employees are performing in any business and doesn't always have a pulse on the front line of the operation. Aaron I think it would be great if you could call and speak to RJ directly and let him know about your experience. He takes pride in his shop and his work and would surely want to know how he can help serve you better.

1- I've heard almost ONLY good things about RJ and All American

2- In ANY shop, I feel you should familiarize yourself with the shop and the team often (rather than buying everything on-line... is that on-line shop going to pull a part off a showroom bike to get you out on the trail? Some bike shops WILL do that)

3- Motoworld is BIG... and sometimes, they act like it. I have had nothing but good experiences there, but some people feel it's hit and miss

4- absolutely- the boss wants to know what is going on! I was driving along the freeway one time, and some jerk in a work truck cuts me off, so I flashed my high beams... he flipped me off... "yeah? Joke is on YOU sucker... you have a phone number on your truck for me to call! Take THIS you jerk!!!!"

I dial the number, and see the jerk in front of me put the cell phone up to his ear... "hello?"... damn! That didn't work so well