Kkug showed up at my house this morning and set up camp in my front yard. While some might call that an odd thing for someone to do others of us would call it Bikepacking 101 by Kkug. Folks started showing up around 10:00 and after everyone had a quick look at what everyone else was packing on their bikes Kkug got the seminar under way.

Bikepacking004.jpg

Kkug came equipped with printouts for everyone. He discussed places to camp, what tools to bring, types of luggage, tents, sleeping bags &sleeping pads, food & cooking supplies, and clothing.

Bikepacking005.jpg

Kkug showing us the guts of his Giant Loop Coyote bag.

Bikepacking006.jpg

After going over all of Kkug’s bulletpoints we took a break for lunch. I didn’t get any pictures of lunch because I was too busy stuffing my face with Baldbeemer’s excellent BBQ pork sandwiches. After lunch we got to go play with everyone’s equipment.

Cablejockey showing everyone his bike set up. Which is actually on my bike so don’t think he went and changed all his plastics from blue to yellow.

Bikepacking008.jpg

Crawdaddy showing us what he packs on the girl bike and explaining about carrying extra fuel.

Bikepacking011.jpg

Paul being Paul.

Bikepacking010.jpg

Matt showing us all his set up on the big KTM.

Bikepacking016.jpg

A picture of The Other Chris’ Bike just because I thought it was a really nice bike.

Bikepacking012.jpg

Covered in Dust showing us how small his sleeping bag packs down to and the very cool Big Agnes Sleeping pad, Jetboil and a headlamp that turns into a mini camp lantern.

Bikepacking019.jpg

Cablejockey trying out Covered in Dust’s two legged butterfly chair.

Bikepacking001.jpg

Kkug giving us the tour of his packed BMW and showing off the air compressor he installed.

Bikepacking020.jpg

Bagster showing us his bike set up.

Bikepacking021.jpg

Beezz and Wonderwoman giving us the tour of their bikes; which unfortunately never made it out of the truck for a ride.

Bikepacking022.jpg

XR650Lbum showed us a very cool device he made out of an old crutch for propping up his bike to change flats, etc. I didn’t get a picture but I wish I had because it’s kind of hard to explain exactly what it looks like. Maybe Bum will provide us the details.

Thanks so much to Kkug for putting this on and sharing his knowledge. And thanks to everyone who attended. It was great to hear everyone’s tips for bikepacking and getting to see all the gear firsthand. Kkug won't be chiming in on this write up for a couple of days because as soon as everyone had left he and Matt packed up their bikes and headded out to the desert to do some camping. smiley-happy070.gif

Oh, and Baldbeemer says thanks to everyone who left their beer here. smiley-eatdrink005.gif

Pretty cool. The 26th & 27th will be my first bike packing trip. Nice to see my set-up seems to be on track for the most part. No hard cases on the sides, just one pelican case (mainly to hold 2 gallons of water) and a strapped backpack. I guess my 20 years in the infantry paid off. That being said, I'm bringing MRE's to eat, since they are compact, complete and easy to carry (and I have a hook-up :rolleyes: ). I'll throw a case in my truck if anyone is interested.

Me and Matt are in Borrego Springs enjoying Mex food. Thanks for starting the report.

Some die hard campers.LOL.

Later

I am bummed I missed it. Looks like it was an informative day for sure.

Thanks for the tips Ken and thanks for hosting Zarrah..... :)

What a good turnout. The whole day was very organized and informative. Liked the classroom sessions and then the ability to go around to the different stations and see how different individuals set up their gear. I think everyone took some new information away from the class. Met some new people today and put more names to faces.

Wife says I look like a tomato. The sun lit me up today!

Only let down is that we did not get a group ride in today. Next time.

See you guys at CC tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone.

What a fantastic day! I really got a lot out of actually seeing gear, touching it, asking questions, and the handouts are very helpful so I don't forget what I learned. A lot of information shared about what, where to get things, how different people do things. It gave me a lot to think about and ponder. Thanks to all of you, I learned a lot about something I would like to do. Special thanks to Kkug for the presentation, hand outs and all of the good info. You did a fantastic job. And Thanks Zarah for the delicious lunch and hosting the event. And to Crawdaddy, I won't forget to "keep it small"/ :coolio:

Learned tons about the gear. Nice to see some new people and good to see old errr familiar faces.

Thanks to: Ken for all the info and setup, to Mistress for the wonderful setting and the weather, and to all of you others for dragging your gear out for us camping newbs to see. Oh and to Mike, thanks for cooking up the delicious pulled pork. Truly a wonderful day.

S

edit: A few people mention need of those 1" plastic buckles. Just PM me.

Sorry I couldn't make it. I can't ride my bike and Raina had stuff to do. Are there any hand out left or any way to get one?

Somehow I managed to get the "Go Light. Go Fast." Printouts but I didn't get one of Ken's printouts. Maybe Ken would be kind enough to do a summary of his talk and post it up.

MotD, You are the Queen of event hosts. Thank You!

Kug, What a pleasure to see a well organized presentation. You can run my meeting anytime!

Hey Matt ( thanks for riding all the way down south) and all you others compulsive Dual Sporters, great to talk with you.

Super content, something to be learned from everyone.

Sorry I missed this one. Nice of the Mistress & Bald to host and Kkug to take lead intructor. Sounds like a lot of contribution by others too.

Ken,

Great presentation, thanks for taking the time to pull it together.

Enjoyed looking over the different approaches to packing. Now to spend $ on new toys and to prep for the ride.

Zara,

Thank you for the hospitality and to baldbeemer for cooking up some great food.

John

Had a great time. Thanks to Kug for all he did and Zara for hosting. Good food, good beer and great people the only thing missing was a little riding.

Covered in Sunburn

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n622/chrisnelson55/6e3b587c.jpg

Not sure who this guys is as all he would give was a Fake Name

"Not sure who this guys is"

He is a "Pinko" for certain.

Well I am back from the Dez,Bald Beemer,s ranch all safe and sound . I got most of the gear put away and all organized for the next trip.

I really want to thank everyone who come out. I was hopeing to get some audience participation ( and I did ) and it worked very well.I was overwhelmed by the gear that every one brought out and the effort to do so.

The whole thing worked out better than I thought it would . A big Thank You !

We may have to do this again next year but with a little twist . A Rally !( Yes you need to ride to it to attend ! :o ) Get Packing !

Thanks again.

Ken

Looked Awesome...sorry to miss it....but at least I have a good excuse, ..I was out riding....Any Way you guys can bring the hand outs to the meeting Tuesday? I'd love a copy....already have backpacking equipment...just not "bike oriented" yet......

Looked Awesome...sorry to miss it....but at least I have a good excuse, ..I was out riding....Any Way you guys can bring the hand outs to the meeting Tuesday? I'd love a copy....already have backpacking equipment...just not "bike oriented" yet......

Yes Deb I can do that.

Yes Deb I can do that.

Deb, grab me a handout. Sorry I missed it Ken. Can we plan a more knoob friendly camping trip soon?

Yes

+1 - I'm planning on doing as many 1-2 night super noob camping trips that I can get in before it gets too cold for the sleeping bag I bought. The weather is getting warmer and I'm getting really antsy to get out there. smiley-excited001.gif

Kug,

Hey, you have stimulated the economy! My cards suffered the purchase of a Coyote and a Rotopax.

One wonders how much cash/credit will be spent as a result of your seminar.

Kug,

Hey, you have stimulated the economy! My cards suffered the purchase of a Coyote and a Rotopax.

One wonders how much cash/credit will be spent as a result of your seminar.

I know the feeling. Last spring I spent $$$$ geting my bike and gear ready. The trip expense was less than $400 for 15 days.

Thanks Mistress & Beemer for hosting on your beautiful property and Kugg for the motivation to organize such an event. Had a great time! Got some good info and the lunch was incredible. Good to meet everyone and check out their respective bike set-ups. Still not sure if we'll be able to make the ride due to timing and budgetary constraints but I'm sure there will be more. Until then, take care everyone.

Paul

p.s. Definitely want to stay informed about

the super noob trips that may be in the future...