Sign in to follow this  
kkug

Bikepacking trip to the river 3-26-27-2011

I am travelling kinda light. My bike will have just a back securely strapped to my rear fender rack. No room for wood. I'm a total noob at adventure riding and bike packing (first time). I do know what to back and not to back, my back packing experience is sorta extensive, I spent most of my 20 USMC years in the infantry or as an infantry instructor. My gear is maybe 35 pounds max with food and water, not counting the clothes on my back.

I am travelling kinda light. My bike will have just a back securely strapped to my rear fender rack. No room for wood. I'm a total noob at adventure riding and bike packing (first time). I do know what to back and not to back, my back packing experience is sorta extensive, I spent most of my 20 USMC years in the infantry or as an infantry instructor. My gear is maybe 35 pounds max with food and water, not counting the clothes on my back.

I try to get my Giant loop down to 26-28 LBS with no water . I must admit I am quite confy,with my chair ,music,firelog, grill ect.

I try to get my Giant loop down to 26-28 LBS with no water . I must admit I am quite confy,with my chair ,music,firelog, grill ect.

Fire log? One of those fireplace things that you light the paper? I might have one of those around.

What kind of chair do you pack? I know, I know, I should of attended the seminar.

I think 10 of that 30 or so pounds is tools. I can sit on my pack, so a chair is not needed. I have not weighed it all yet, but I am going pretty light though.

I found some tracks for the Bradshaw trail. PM me your email address and I'll send to you if you want them.

kkug

I was looking for a ride write up today. Seems I screwed up on the dates of this ride. :rolleyes:

I am back in SD so put me on the "I have no clue list"

I would'nt worry about having a great map of the Bradshaw Trail. The road is marked really well and it is graded often. I have been going out there the last couple of weekends and staging at the Trail Head in Palo Verde. If I could figure out how to post pics here I would. I would recommend going to Opal Mine on Wiley Road south of the Bradshaw. Nancy Hill and her husband operate the mine and it is open to the public. They don't mine for Opal they mine for Fire Agate. Make sure to look for the natve history it is everywhere out there. I can email you some maps of what I have. Have Fun.

Everyday something is showing up for this ride. Getting exciting.

Big Guy

Big Bike

Will it look like this ? :o

2008-08_Peck-LoadedBike.jpg

I learned to much at the meeting to have it look like that. I took your fire base/ tin foil up a notch. I got some aluminum foil trays from home depot. I will be carrying one of those filled with hickory chunks to add to the fire.

I will have a jetboil campstove that I will share with those in need. Not sure if it only uses the JB cup, but will heat up a cup of coffee, I'm sure. Not sure yet on the final packing list. I still need to weigh my gear with my "Must Haves" before adding the luxury items. Couple cans of Guiness might find their way into the pack, though :rolleyes:

I will have a jetboil campstove that I will share with those in need. Not sure if it only uses the JB cup, but will heat up a cup of coffee, I'm sure. Not sure yet on the final packing list. I still need to weigh my gear with my "Must Haves" before adding the luxury items. Couple cans of Guiness might find their way into the pack, though :rolleyes:

We have the Jetboil Flash and it will only work with a Jetboil Flash cup.

Couple cans of Guiness might find their way into the pack, though :rolleyes:

We have the Jetboil Flash and it will only work with a Jetboil Flash cup.

Thats okay, I like my Guiness cold anyway!

I'm going to roll them up into my sleeping bag, so we'll see how cold they stay.

I am going to pick up some Beer and Hotdogs when we hit the gas station in Palo Verde. Any one can share my dogs,and BBQ grill.

This is going to be funny. Grown men all cooking on their little toy stoves ! :heh:

post-2109-073068800 1300857519_thumb.jpgIm getting excited about the weekend. Packing the bike tonight,im running out of room fast. Im too used to camping on the 950. this small bike trip will be interesting. Im planning to drive out to OW on saturday morning. Im packing food and a stove, and plan to get some beer in Palo.There should be some native firewood in the area,. I ve done many rides in that area. See you all Sat. Bob PS below is a picture of the palo Verde area

I'm going to roll them up into my sleeping bag, so we'll see how cold they stay.

I like Guiness but I'm not climbing in your sleeping bag with you,,, I dont care how cold they are!

Looks like the weather will be breezy Fri nite. :angry: Sat and Sun sunny and in the low 70,s :rolleyes:

Anyone else going out Friday? I am staying in the trailer park at the Ironwood Inn. If oit rains Friday, I'll be dry along with my bike and gear till Saturday.

Big Guy

Big Bike

New tire, new cable and trial pack. Enough stuff to go many days. Excitement is building.

100_0782.jpg

100_0783.jpg

Big Guy

Big Bike

New tire, new cable and trial pack. Enough stuff to go many days. Excitement is building.

100_0782.jpg

Very thoughtful packing ! I see you have space on the seat for a case of beer!

Big Guy

Big Bike

100_0782.jpg

100_0783.jpg

Come listen to a story about a man name Jed.

Is this where you guys are camping? If so it says there is water anyone know if this is right?

Palo Verde Park

3 miles south of the town of Palo Verde on California Highway 78 along an oxbow of the Colorado River. It is adjacent to Cibola National Wildlife Refuge; it is 2 miles west of the Palo Verde Oxbow BLM site on the Colorado River, which has a launch ramp and primitive camping.

Boating/Fishing

Camping

Water/Flush toilets

Playground