Sign in to follow this  
kkug

Bikepacking trip to the river 3-26-27-2011

This is the ride I scheduled with the beginner Bikepacking seminar that will be happening 3-12.

My plan is to truck my 450 to Ocotillo Wells either Fri. nite or early Sat Morn.Pack Up and leave (9:00 -9:30) AM, ride to Salton City ( all Dirt ) then slab it to Mecca -Bombay Beach. Then ride the Bradshaw Trail to the CO River. Camp near the river or where ever our fancy takes us. Sun. retrace our route. Approx 160 miles one way- 320 total . Gas in Salton City ,Mecca ,Palo Verde, Longest stretch would be from Mecca to Palo Verde. 105 miles approx.

( Update 3-17-11 )Meeting spot Update ) I talked to the Ranger Station and they said we could park North of the showers and bathroom,s near the ranger staion.I hope this is ok and I think their will be a good spot to unload if you take your trucks.So we will meet their in time for a 9: 9:30 departure.Make shure you have your bike ready to go. Gas -Air pressure ect.

( update 3-20-11 update !! ) A lot of concern about food and rightly so.Who ever goes on fri nite is on their own . As this is a beginner ride lets all plan to bring some thing to the camp to cook. That way we can try stoves BBQ,ect. You can pack from home or maybe pick something up in Palo Verde when we stop for gas. When we get to Palo Verde we can stop for a beer-they may also have hamburgers. We have to see how the day goes.If all else fails Blythe is 20 miles or less away and some one can ride their to eat if they want. I am going to bring my little stove , BBQ grill, my charcoal and a fire log. Their may be some brush to burn close the the camp ?? I can share my stove with who ever wants to warm stuff up.

Make sure you pack trail snacks as their is no food ( or anything else ) from Mecca to Palo Verde.

On the ride back we can stop in Mecca at a Mex restaurant.How does this sound ?

Aprox Miliages-OW to Salton City 20mi,to Mecca 26 mi,to State Rec Area 25 mi,to Palo Verde 80 mi, to camp 10 to ?? mi, 161-170?? one way.

Anyone coming should have some long distance experience and bike should be in good shape. And of course camping gear.

Any takers ?

In List

kkug

baldbeemer

oldbeachguy

cablejocky

papasmurf

Racebob

Tking

xr650lbum

TrouphyHunter 100% going

Kiwi Wayne Have no clue list but in.

alyeska--out

Mabey

Don Diego

DirtSurfin--Out Mabey next one

Vegetable Telivision-- Out mabey next one

oops I got to change that Backpacking to Bikepacking. :o

I am in for this ride, are we going to visit the red cloud mine off gasline rd? If you dont mind I probably won't ride back with the group since I want to spend a couple days exploring along the river. alyeska

I am in for this ride, are we going to visit the red cloud mine off gasline rd? If you dont mind I probably won't ride back with the group since I want to spend a couple days exploring along the river. alyeska

Good Deal--I did not plan on going to that area. I thought it might take all day to ride the Bradshaw to the river. With shooting the bull -gas stops and a simi relaxed pace I did not think about to many side trips. We have to see once we get riding, mabey we can.

Good for you on taking a few extra days. A lot of area to explore !

OK I just confirmed I am off work for that weekend. Barring a setback with my ankle, I am IN for this ride.

OK I just confirmed I am off work for that weekend. Barring a setback with my ankle, I am IN for this ride.

All right !!

Relaxed pace is good, its been at least 20 yrs since I have been in this area, if anyone needs to borrow any gear just let me know, I have several lightweight tents,half shelters,dry sacks, sleeping bags, etc. I aquired alot of gear on my alaska and previous trips. I am bringing a mini lantern and burner since I will be out a couple extra nights. looking forward to this trip. alyeska

Hey, KKug, total n00b question: Which tires are recommended for rides like this? I have 80/20 Anakees. Do most of the riders use more of a dirt/knobby for these rides?

Thanks!

Dan

Hey, KKug, total n00b question: Which tires are recommended for rides like this? I have 80/20 Anakees. Do most of the riders use more of a dirt/knobby for these rides?

Thanks!

Dan

I think you could get away with it if you take it easy.On a big bike I always have a knob on the front.But with a gs I think it has a 19-wheel so I don.t know how a anklee will work in the dirt. The Bradshaw has a few spots with sand but with letting some air out your mabey ok.

Knobs would be better in general

I ran metzler tourance's (similar to the anakee) on both of my GS's and they were horrible in anything loose. TKC 80's work well on the GS.

Ken,

Besides having some long distance experience what riding level is needed for this ride? Intermediate? Advanced?

Z

I would say it is intermediate because a beginner might get pooped out with long day of riding. The roads are somewhat easy but you have to be on your game because of some corners and dips that sneak up. One time we had to extract a xr 650 that run off the corner and and got stuck up a bush about three feet off the ground.

Just got my hall pass. I'm in, now all I need is new tires and all the bikepacking gear. New toys for Daddy!

I'm in. I will figure out how to strap a bag and stuff to my bike. I could always go with the Marine Corps Infantry motto of "Travel light, freeze at night."

TKC-80 Continental Twinduro is THE tire for big bikes when you're doing more than street....sticks like glue on the street, works well in the dirt. Rear lasts about 2000 - 3000 miles, depending on the type of riding you do, and throttle control.

post-2-044207700 1299099822_thumb.jpg

Im in for the ride, Ive been over the bradshaw several times, very fun road. I have alot of bikepacking experience on my big bike ( 950 adv). Looking forward to trying it on my 450.I will have to learn to pack lighter. Im looking forward to it. The last time I was over the bradshaw it was on my 950. see picture below to see what I mean about packing lighter

post-2109-073735200 1299210777_thumb.jpg

kkug

This ride is up my alley. If I'm in town I would like to join. I gather there is not too much real technicle so I would proly take XR650.

I will be driving and camping out Friday night. Hopefully it is big bike friendly. I only have one bike, so my ride choices are limited. I've ridden from Ocotillo wells to Salvation Mountain (Niland) and back in a day on a CRF 230L, so I am sure I'll have no issues.

Going to have to pass on this one, roughing it in the cabin at big bear with the family, dress light 96 today, have fun. alyeska

post-14231-091568000 1300158665_thumb.jp

Alyeska --Thanks for prerunning the route. A very nice write up on what to expect for the people who have not rode in that area.

Next Time !

For the people that did not see Alyeska,s Ride Report.

(Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:24 AM

We headed out of borrego springs at around 9am, me on my dr and my buddy on his klr, it took about 45 minutes to get to the arco at mecca and about another 15 minutes to get to the turn off hwy 111, the turn is opposite the salton sea state rec area. after driving to the end of the road we turned left onto a dirt road which led to the canal edge, we found are way over the canal (drop 29 I believe) then headed south towards drop 24 where the trail begins. They have a nice sign with a map at the trailhead that wasnt around 20 yrs ago. The first 3 miles or so of the trail is very loose sand and rock and after going down twice my buddy decided to head back thinking it could get worse. The real problem was that he was running dual sport tires and not knobs. I followed him back the 3 miles we said are goodbyes and he headed home to borrego. I decided to go on. I stopped at the rr trestle for a break and some photos, from here the road gets pretty good, they have the trail marked very clearly now and signs and kiosks are everywhere. I found lots of large bombs along the trail and even an old cement sailboat along the trail, the trail was smooth as a highway the rest of the way out, reaching freeway speeds and more in some stretches. near the end of the trail I found several old mine shafts on the left side just a few hundred feet from the main road, they were fun to explore and might be a great spot to visit. I hit the blacktop and headed to palo verde, got fuel at the gas station (the only one in town) and hit the road south, getting only about 1 mile before realizing I had picked up a nail in the nail infested parking lot of the gas station. After an hour of tire changing on the side of the road I headed to walters camp to spend the night. The trail from start to finish took about 2.5 hours to cover at high speeds, some of the turns will sneek up on you when moving along at speed since the road surface is like bb's on a chalk board, I think you could add about an hour to the trip if you are not running knobs and aired down. I left walters after a night of fun with some locals and headed to glamis, I have not been on the sand in years and decided to run across the sand highway to I-8. I purchased a flag and rack clamp for a modest fee of $45, they didnt hold a gun to my head but I felt like I was being robbed. The install took about 5 minutes and I was off. Crossing the sand took about an hour and I came out at gordons well hit the freeway and it was all blacktop from then on. I look forward to riding this trail again this month with the group, hopefully we can explore some more of the side trails since the main trail shouldnt take more than 3 hours to cover with a group. I would definately run knobs on this trail or reduce speed by 50%. alyeska )

Later Ken

IN

I am in Hawaii but just booked a flight home on Thursday. I will most likely ride out on Fri night and camp as this is a bikepacking trip!!! I guess it will be a bath in the Colorado river and warm beer :(

My IN is now looking average. That blows! :heh:

The only good news is I am on standby at the Hilton Hawaiian Village,Waikiki

xr650l bum, on 17 March 2011 - 11:42 AM, said:

Figured I would set up my new tent today to check it out before the trip. Bought it for the Beach to River run years ago. Turned out to be CRAP! Need to buy a better one. Lessoned learned, play with the gear before the trip.

Hey Mike,

I'm looking at tents too. What did you get that you didnt like and what are you looking at now?

The bad thing about the tent I purchased earlier was it was a hiking tent that was not FREE STANDING.

Chris this was the best deal I could find. It has al poles, pretty good quality, good rain cover, and light. Big thing was it would arrive before the trip. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KELTY-GRAND-MESA-2-Person-3-Season-Hiking-Camping-Tent-/390258995015?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5add3faf47