bikeslut

Tuesday-Jan 24-short ride Corral

Wow .. Glad you're ok dude! I had the same thing happen to me on a 750 triple back in Iowa. I don't think that's tar on those jeans :blink:

Bob,

wow that was a Wild Ride (WR), glad you handled it well and have only the minor reminders. Get you fixed and then the WR. Glad all is really OK. RN

PS from now on we all know what WR stands for.

well... I'm at work today... sore as hell, but working

paul offered to pull the case cover with me, and poke around a little... I HOPE it is just something wrong with the rekluse... I got the original parts with the bike, and would prefer an adult clutch anyway :ph34r:

I think I can do something with that... if not that, I got a pro mechanic that lives 100 yards from my house, and I'll get a new transmission

wife and bosses are definitely not happy (I don't know about the wife... she is RICH if I die! I think it is a million dollar policy right now)... the boss was going to borrow the DRZ the weekend of the Desert Dash, and HE is out of luck... I told him he could take the WR :coolio:

thanks for all the well-wishes... back to our normally scheduled moto-talk

Holy Crap!!!! I just read this. Glad the outcome was on a light side. Everyone knows it could have been alot worse.

I was on 78 doing about 75 on my 1979 Yamaha RD 400 Daytona when it seized about 2 years ago. NOT fun.

now that you bring that up... I cover the clutch (even with the rekluse); too many years as a habit of covering clutch and front brake (or both brakes on a bicycle)... My Doo-hickey blew up on my KLR out on 74/371 area... I pulled in the clutch immediately, and saved the low side (which almost turned into a high side)

Coasted over to the side, changed my shorts, and hitched a ride... much less drama

this time: I pulled at the clutch, and it made no difference... NOTHING I did made a bit of difference (and I'm still surprised I wasn't able to counter-steer to a stop; I do it on dirt all the time)

I can BARELY roll the bike, in neutral, and the countershaft sprocket will not budge if it's in gear (even with the clutch in)

Any wrench savvy riders want to weigh in? My thoughts are; transmission threw a gear or something... the clutch pack seized up... countershaft jacked up...

I'm pretty sure the repairs necessary are out of my league, but look forward to the repaired bike... The DRZ will do for the next few weeks or so...

I can BARELY roll the bike, in neutral, and the countershaft sprocket will not budge if it's in gear (even with the clutch in)

Any wrench savvy riders want to weigh in? My thoughts are; transmission threw a gear or something... the clutch pack seized up... countershaft jacked up...

If you can't even get the bike to roll in neutral, probably a tranny problem. Neutral isn't affected by the clutch. Freewheeling gears should be engaged from one shaft to the other, so that even if the input shaft won't turn, the output shaft should be able to.

I'd pop the clutch side case (after draining the oil) and take a look in there. I don't know why the Rekluse would fail but it may have...? I put a new clutch basket and friction plates in when I redid it. There's a new Rekluse (thick) gasket included in the stuff you got with the bike in case you need it.

I think this would be the least intrusive and easiest starting point. I don't know why it would be the problem, but I hope that it is....compared to the alternative.

Wow .. Glad you're ok dude! I had the same thing happen to me on a 750 triple back in Iowa. I don't think that's tar on those jeans :blink:

Amazing, I had the same thing happen to me on a Kawasaki 750 triple on a road trip from Iowa back to Minnesota. Bob, glad to hear that you are as ok as can be expected and if you want a hand with that engine just let me know.

ok- last two pics then I'll post a new ride

THIS

IMG00235-20110127-1840-2.jpg

is what happens when you slide THIS

DSCN4216.jpg

far in levis

I WILL be asking for some help from somebody to dig in to the clutch, at least... if it's more, I'll get a pro

Pretty cheeky photo.

It's more Bob. And you really don't need a Pro. Gear boxes are not that complicated. Once you get it apart it is very logical and easy to figure out. Plenty of good used parts on Ebay and bearings and seals are available through local suppliers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99-YAMAHA-YZ400F-YZ-400F-TRANNY-TRANSMISSION-426F-WR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e61129f8bQQitemZ130477629323QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

And to think this could have been helicopter #2 for you.

Sorry..couldnt resist.

THIS

IMG00235-20110127-1840-2.jpg

I think my bruise from 2008 still has you beat. :heh:

yep- nicer legs and a nicer bruise... you win on both counts :lol:

Wow! Just saw this as well...Glad your ok! That had to be a scary experience...had to be REAL scary when pulling in the clutch did nothing.

:lol:

yeah scary, Wil... not as scary as the insane ---- you do every day... post some links to the pinkbike videos. That GAP jump was insane! I don't know if you actually pulled that one off, but it was intense

in your own thread :coolio:

Sounds well scary, I had a bike lock up in an enduro in 80's, a 250 KTM doing about 50mph across fields and just locked, pulled clutch and nothing, rode the skid for a bit until something caught and went down but was fine, it was on dirt. Went back to bike and found bearing behind sprocket had collapsed, had to remove the chain and push it a couple of miles to get to a road and find someone to take us back to start.

Any progress on the fix, need to back on the horse as they say?

Haven't look in to the bike yet...been really busy at work and have another 6 day/70 hour work week next week. After THAT I am going to show up at one of your houses with a blue bike and puppy dog eyes begging for help.

If its deep within the bowels of the beast, it will be shopped out. I don't have the time, tools or talent to get in to that...and not too proud to admit it

If a member wants to tackle it, and is confident they can pull it off, I'd be glad to pay them...or I'll get a pro...or sit on it until I have a little more time and energy

As for :getting back on the horse, I'm not spooked at all...if it wouldve started back up, I wouldve ridden it home. And I have the DRZ, which I hope to ride next week; leg is still pretty sore and sit/stand transitions are pretty painful...

WOW Bob, sorry to hear about this, glad you're doing OK.

I feel your pain as I am on the mend from a bad get-off...my bike and I took a nap together, many bruises and swollen joints, it could have been a lot worse.

Good luck with the WR.