Crawdaddy

Stuper-Stition "family" trip (kids/Quad-tards)

Had a great time out there. Excellent riding, awesome people. Very few people for a long weekend, and a car fire to "entertain" the campers (not one of ours). Can't wait for the ride/camp reports. Here's a pic I'm not sure you'll see otherwise...

post-14080-007150600 1289750882_thumb.jp

Had a great time out there. Excellent riding, awesome people. Very few people for a long weekend, and a car fire to "entertain" the campers (not one of ours). Can't wait for the ride/camp reports. Here's a pic I'm not sure you'll see otherwise...

i could see the fire burning all the way over at plaster city west. thats a great way to get a riding area closed down.

Kinda hard to stop an idiot in a fairly new Mustang hellbent on destruction. He ran it into the dunes, up rocky stuff & on his last attempted hill climb, it'd had enough. Don't know if he lit it or it decided to end it's own life.

I can't see it having an effect on the riding area....I've never heard of 'em shutting down I-15 for one.

The very first time I went to Superstition with the family some assclown decided to torch a Ford Ranger up by the dunes. Pretty wild, it stayed there for a few weeks too.

i could see the fire burning all the way over at plaster city west. thats a great way to get a riding area closed down.

You're assuming someone set that fire on purpose...

Good time this weekend, good food (Thanks Deb), good people, and good riding. I had a blast :)

superstition-11-13-10-01.jpg

Had an awesome time also....ditto to great people..Really enjoyed this weekends group.....awesome riding...fun camp...My dogs and I arrived about noon on friday in my classic 85 southwind motorhome (which survived ONE more desert trip)...And besides the normal desert tours, this weekend I got my first taste of dune riding on a motorcycle...a fun but challenging New element, but the KTM rocked even in the sand !....Thanks Crawdaddy and Strega for leading great rides......Heres some pics:

Not Exactly like all the other fancy Rigs...but It's Long Been Paid for and Still is Pretty nice in the desert !

P3110034-Copy.jpg

Our camp: but this was not including the 20 or so people that came for the day saturday...including the Trophy Posse....

P3110040.jpg

P3120054.jpg

P3120055.jpg

P3120059.jpg

Saturday Brought Many rides, many groups, many destinations:....Lots of Fun:

P3120041.jpg

P3120042.jpg

P3120043.jpg

P3120046.jpg

P3110036.jpg

Pyro tearing up the sand on the kdx220- taking a rare break from the KLR 650.

P3120044.jpg

Kathy and Gary coming down the sand

P3120045.jpg

A Stop at the Lazy Lizard on a Saturday afternoon ride!

P3120048.jpg

The Last 2009 Christmas Tree on the Planet I would Guess... went up in Smoke on Saturday night (thanks for saving it so long Chris)

P3120051.jpg

Thanks to all for a Great Weekend, and See You All on the Next Trip !

I can't see it having an effect on the riding area....I've never heard of 'em shutting down I-15 for one.

REALLY? so he had the car towed away before he left? totalling and burning cars in the desert = bad for offroaders. straight forward logic. no?

Yeah I don't think the firestang did us any favors but ya never know how they arrived at that circumstance.. I'm just glad no one was hurt.

REALLY? so he had the car towed away before he left? totalling and burning cars in the desert = bad for offroaders. straight forward logic. no?

sorry, but I'm not seeing the logic ... how does a moron burning an on-road car make off-roading look bad? Now if someone left a torched bike or rhino that might reflect poorly on the off-road community ...

A parallel example: a town dumps raw sewage into a river that flows into the ocean...does this make surfers look bad?

Thanks for coming out everyone......good times as usual

Stay tuned for a future/family camping trip at Truckhaven and/or Salton Sea KOA.......

sorry, but I'm not seeing the logic ... how does a moron burning an on-road car make off-roading look bad? Now if someone left a torched bike or rhino that might reflect poorly on the off-road community ...

A parallel example: a town dumps raw sewage into a river that flows into the ocean...does this make surfers look bad?

I wish blm shared your thought process.

Another classic. I hope I don,t look like that after The Mojave Rd Ride.

I need another one in December/January to make up for the chillens that didn't get to ride (technical difficulty). Is it too cold then? I was planning on taking our neighbors out to the same spot but if the Crayfish is heading out I wouldn't mind haunting a new spot.

Thanks everyone for a great trip. This was the first time doing any sand dune riding for me also, so it was nice to accelerate the learning curve a bit on Deb's light little 2-stroke. Thanks Deb! It was also the first time I've had the chance to ride this type of bike for more than a few minutes. What a blast! By the end of the day Saturday I was feeling really comfortable in the deep stuff.

Wow I love this bike!

IMG_2222.jpg

The crew on our saturday morning ride.

IMG_2221.jpg

IMG_2223.jpg

Back at camp while having some lunch, we notice black smoke coming up in the distance.

IMG_2228.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

IMG_2227.jpg

It was a ford mustang :(

IMG_2229.jpg

Camp fire stories and toasty buns

IMG_2215.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2217.jpg

Sunrise Sunday morning

IMG_2232.jpg

IMG_2233.jpg

Dune clouds over dune mountains

IMG_2237.jpg

With some good practice in from saturday, I jumped back on the KLR first thing sunday morning to run some practice laps on a little course I had made up the previous evening. I wanted to see how the beast would feel in the dunes after being spoiled to death on the KDX the day before. The big green machine rocked it! The most noticeable difference (among many) was that the steering felt really loose. I had gotten used to having that steering stabilizer already, while the day before I wasn't even sure if that darn thing was working! So I romped a few laps and then came back soaked with sweat for some breakfast.

IMG_2238.jpg

Most of the group was either gone by now, getting ready to go, or beat down from the day before. So Chris said 'Looks like it's me and you Pyro', to which I replied 'OOOOHHHHHHHHH YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!' :D With Deb's blessings, I jumped back on the KLR's evil little step brother and away we went.

IMG_2240.jpg

Crawdaddy led me on a bitchen tour! We stopped by the sand dam and he went right up that thing with ease. I tried 7 or 8 times, but couldn't seem to get up past that last part at the top. Call me crazy, but I think I could have made it on the KLR. Now getting to the sand dam on the KLR would have been a ball breaker for sure.

IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2241.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2246.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2250.jpg

Thanks Chris for setting up this great trip. And many thanks to Deb for making the whole thing so much fun. Ride on forever SDAR!

IMG_2251.jpg

Hey Pyro. My 690 rocks all over Superstition and wheelies up Sand Dam. It even blasts up the high peak right side of Sand Dam. Huge noticable differance tho when I jump on 1 of my kids CRF 450Rs.

I will be at Glamis From the Nov 19th thru Nov 28th. Somewhere from wash 16 to 18

I will be taking 5 bikes with paddles

2 CRF 450Rs

1 2010 KTM 300

1 Aprilia 450

1 KTM 690, Its a pig out there, sand is differant than Superstition. you have to pay attention on the 690. Superstition doesnt have razor backs or witches eyes that will kill you.

Superstition doesnt have razor backs or witches eyes that will kill you.

I don't even know what those are . . . I don't even know if I want to know what those are! ahhahahahhahahaha :lol:

I don't even know what those are . . . I don't even know if I want to know what those are! ahhahahahhahahaha :lol:

Pyro - You didn't see'em cuz your tour guide avoided'em :rolleyes::king::D

That is a perfect statement Chris

Your tour guide avoided things you do not see cuz of his expertise you had a great time. People that try and go fast but are always hitting the breaks cuz they do not know how to read the dunes are a drag to follow. My kids have taken over leading now in the dunes cuz I am slower in my old age. Now I am chasing and trying not to get left behind :heh:

There is always something different to watch out for whether you are in rocks, open desert, mountains, or sand.

While you guys were having an awesome time in Stupidstition I was playing in the sand out in Gordon's Well.....Probably the only guy on a CRF450 out there with a plate, headlight, brake light, rack with tool bag and fuel bottle.

Had a buddy on my CR500 who hasn't ridden in a while.....saturday evening, he crested a dune without slowing and turning....launched off the razor back and cased the bike. He was sitting upon impact so all of the strain was in his back....he thought he was going to be fine so he rode a quad back to camp and slept.

We left yesterday to come back home and he finally decided to go to the hospital.......he is still there right now with a broken L1 Lumbar, bruised kidneys, swollen prostate (unable to pee) and lucky to be able to walk. Still waiting on the results of the MRI and xray with brace on.

Moral to the story is to ride your own ride and remember that riding different areas bring different elements to watch out for.

~hijack off~

hoss, hope your buddy is OK....lots of hazards in this dangerous sport we undertake.......

alas...some of us ride a TAD more cautiously than others...(not as invincible as we may have been in younger years...and it just takes too long to heal IF we get hurt)

Hope all turns out well for him....

Sorry to hear about your friend Hoss. That blows. The first time I made it to the top of a dune at speed I soiled my shorts and shut down, stalling right on the top. It turned out to be a good move when I saw the other side. Back at camp I related the story to the crew. They quickly explained that when approaching the top of a dune, I should turn right or left. Wow that was really good advice, and I used it every time after that.

Hey Pyro. My 690 rocks all over Superstition and wheelies up Sand Dam.

Nice, now I'm getting fired up! I think I need to get up to that thing on my KLR and conquer it !