Crawdaddy

Stuper-Stition "family" trip (kids/Quad-tards)

Planning on heading out to Stuper-stition in a month to kick off desert season.......NOT a dualsport trip.......just family/camping thing with TSR, Slowdown, and perhaps a few others....

Go to THIS OLD THREAD for directions to our usual camp area........it's out by the dune wall waaaaay out/around Wheeler Rd near the "Rabbit's Foot Trail" in the map below (SE corner)

SuperstitionMap.jpg

Speaking of the "family" theme, my kids are older now but I have fond memories of family desert/dune trips in their younger years......this photo of my friend George's son and daughter always cracks me up :)

georgekids.jpg

Maybe we'll see ya out there..... :)

I'm bringing the family out there that same weekend for my daughter's (age 6) maiden voyage on a motorcycle. Strega was showing me places to camp around there. Another family is joining us. They may hop on a bike or two as well.

Should be a good trip. Here's a pic of slowdown shreddin' widowmaker...

post-14080-030414600 1287331637_thumb.jp

Most likely I will be in OW that weekend....will ride over and say hi!

It looks like I might be home for more than three weeks straight, so I'll put this date down as a tentative. My son is itching to go ride!

Chris,

Shannon and I will at least drive out and have a beer. Don't know when the cast comes off. If it is off by then, I will ride the quad to ease back into riding.

Are you talking T-giving weekend or a little before?

Chris,

Shannon and I will at least drive out and have a beer. Don't know when the cast comes off. If it is off by then, I will ride the quad to ease back into riding.

Are you talking T-giving weekend or a little before?

Veteran's Day weekend. I'm headed out Thursday morning (Nov 11). The dates are Nov 11-14.

Veteran's Day weekend. I'm headed out Thursday morning (Nov 11). The dates are Nov 11-14.

Well, cast will still be on....so I guess I am limited to beer....although drunk crutching can be humorous....for those not on the crutches!

A couple of maps to help with directions.

From SD area, see map1 ...

post-14080-044492700 1287342005_thumb.jp

... and then map2 ...

post-14080-097278300 1287342038_thumb.jp

From Ocotillo Wells area, use this map:

post-14080-030738900 1287342071_thumb.jp

See ya' out there!

Whoops...just noticed the date...I will be in Gordon's playin in the sand on the 13th.

Have fun!

found the other pic I was looking for:

post-14080-056073000 1287367798_thumb.jp

With the pallets the fire was REALLY hot, and Chris had brought some wire spools to burn, too. The idea was to use one as a shield from the heat while roasting sausages at midnight.

My stompin' grounds since I was a kid....

Would love to come out and meet ya'all... but, we'll be geared up on 11/11 at 8:30, leaving out of Ocotillo, and heading to Parker (for our Cancer-RideForLife event). We'll be riding out to the West of Soops (not over the dunes - as some first time "sand" riders will be with us). About 16 of us.... Should be by that West end of Soops at Carrizo Wash or the Train Trestle over the wash by 9 or earlier. Come out and cheers us on!!

If your still out there camped on Sunday... We'll be coming back in to Ocotillo, at about 1AM (Monday AM). :blink: Which puts us over the dunes via Sand Dam at about midnight or so on Sunday!!!

TSR gave me the heads up...I'm planning on coming out and bringing a couple of bikes, so he can also try them out.. .....(and ya, I guess the quad might come too, I must admit, it IS fun in the dunes )..I also have a couple friends (ladies) wanting to try a dirt bike, who may join us for at least part of the weekend......Look forward to it.....thanks for the maps.....

This Route/camp is easily accessible for a classic old motorhome pulling a 12 foot trailer right?..... :cowboy:

... This Route/camp is easily accessible for a classic old motorhome pulling a 12 foot trailer right?..... :cowboy:

Yes. My father-in-law drove out one trip in a '92 Saturn SL2 that is about 7 inches off of the ground. My son drove out one trip in a lowered Nissan Sentra SER. The last 0.2 miles, from the road to the site, has rolling whoops of hard-packed dirt, but there's a side "road" that has fewer whoops in it. (see Google-Earth screen shot. black line is path)

post-14080-067256900 1287453869_thumb.jp

Also, I have a brother-in-law who drove out his '80's motor home for a couple of years with no problems. Honestly, I would ask the same questions. Once you've been there you'll see what we're talking about, but I understand the concern that comes with not having seen it for yourself :-)

Type into Google Earth the coordinates for the camp (from maps in a previous post) and poke around. I have GPS coordinates for some common features/destinations, and I'm sure Crawdaddy has a bunch, too. I'll bring my laptop and we can load these into your GPS, if you want.

Sweet, Thanks........I've driven that thing into some spots I was surprised about, so I'm sure it will do fine...Looking forward to it...Superstition was sooo beautiful last spring..It is a Great Place to ride....See you soon...

P3210081.jpg

P3210089.jpg

P3210088.jpg

We're in. Non kid weekend so it'll be wife, son, girlfriend (son's). 2 quads, 2 bikes. Just for the day on Saturday.

We'll bring shade, chairs, muchies, smiles.

Not sure if I can actually make that weekend. :angry2: Wife is out of town and Jon is hiking Catalina. :angry: I'm home with all 3 dogs :blink: unless I'm man enough to haul my RV, the three dogs, and all the supplies by myself... :dead: I'm hoping this year that Diego does not want to chase dirtbikes! <_<

Not sure if I can actually make that weekend. :angry2: Wife is out of town and Jon is hiking Catalina. :angry: I'm home with all 3 dogs :blink: unless I'm man enough to haul my RV, the three dogs, and all the supplies by myself... :dead: I'm hoping this year that Diego does not want to chase dirtbikes! <_<

You're man enough. I hear ya' on the dogs, though. That's a lot to handle...

We may not be out til late Friday evening.......need to clean up Toybox this weekend.....

Not sure if I can actually make that weekend. .... unless I'm man enough to haul my RV, the three dogs, and all the supplies by myself...

Come on Ron, You can Do it :excl: I'm loading my motorhome and trailer, with all the bikes this time and bringing 2 dogs, all on my own and I'm just a girl.

besides, when the family is all tied up thats the PERFECT excuse to come out to the desert to ride.... :party:

Hope to make it out there. This whole summer and fall has been filled with house and other family business, with not a single ride :( it's about time to get out and have some fun !!

Bump

Clean up your desert "stuff" this weekend and join us next weekend.......

See ya out there

Funny you should mention that.....been pulling quads out, starting 'em etc today.

Looking forward to it!

I'll be heading out Thursday morning (I have 4 days off). Look for this rig and others...

post-14080-011308500 1289003070_thumb.jp

By the way, is 6 pallets enough or should I grab a couple more??