Steve (boat440) put together a Utah trip that covered a lot of the Paiute trail system. As a skilled "event freeloader" (someone else organizes, I show up), I crashed the party because Wayne (Humptythumty) was going and he no longer dirtbiked without me since I mule the alcohol and sewing kit (and never complain about that weighty task).

There were eight riders: On KTMs were Steve, Drew, Darren and Wayne; on Suzuki DRZs were Justin and Steve (different one); on a Beta was Roger; and on a Husqvarna was me.

Day 0.

We left San Diego Saturday morning at 7:30 am and got into Parowan, Utah at around 4:00 pm. Neither of us got left behind and nothing fell off the truck on the way there. That's what we call an excellent start.

Day 1.

After eating our fancy continental breakfasts (huge points to Days Inn for their Belgian waffle machine) and gassing up our bikes, we started our day around 8:30.

post-1009-097471700 1283443064_thumb.jpg

The weather was perfect: mild summer temps and clear skies. It was not possible to have more ideal riding conditions, unless those conditions included hundred-dollar bills gently raining down on us. The first leg of the trip started out on a fire road that was a little marbly. Wayne and I rode sweep. At around 10 miles into the ride we came around a corner and saw Roger on the ground. He was the first victim of the trip, taken down by the marbles. After a brief crash break we continued on.

post-1009-017766700 1283443503_thumb.jpg

We crossed the highway and headed into an intermediate stretch with beautiful trails through aspen groves. There was something particularly striking about riding a narrow trail lined with skinny white trees whose leaves flash in the sunlight like fishing lures. It was hard not to stop and just look around. Maybe I've spent too much time in the desert.

post-1009-084330500 1283443563_thumb.jpg

post-1009-069025300 1283443639_thumb.jpg

The trail started getting steeper and rockier as we made our way to the 10,000 foot peak. A couple of the guys were struggling with some of the more problematic rock obstacles on the ascent so there was a fair amount of stopping and starting, which in turn resulted in a lot of kickstarting, which in turn resulted in a lot of very tired people. I felt especially sorry for Justin, who had to keep kickstarting his DRZ at the worst angles. At one point I got off my bike and hiked up to his to help him get his bike into better position. You can see by his body language how much he loved the idea of kickstarting the beast for the 489th time.

post-1009-091557500 1283481656_thumb.jpg

post-1009-053766500 1283444287_thumb.jpg

We took a break at the first meadow we came to. After drinking down some water, pissing at some plants, and looking over the bikes, we continued on.

post-1009-061464600 1283444343_thumb.jpg

Only a couple hundred feet back into our journey we came across a downed tree. There was no obvious way around it. The guys pushed at it, pulled at it, jumped on it, but it wasn't going anywhere. Wayne suggested that they raise it as much as possible so he could stick a log beneath it to keep it propped up long enough for people to push their bikes through (lucky he came up with the idea since that excused him from the heavy lifting). The tree wasn't all that big, but it was somewhat wedged into place. The guys gave a collective grunt and hoisted the tree up high enough to get the log under. While a couple of the guys held the log in place we pushed the bikes through.

post-1009-092927900 1283444660_thumb.jpg

post-1009-047297800 1283444679_thumb.jpg

post-1009-004262300 1283444803_thumb.jpg

With that obstacle behind us, all we had left to do was get through some steep switchbacks and make our way back down the rest of the mountain. A fair number of dropped bikes later, we were all off the mountain and back on pavement.

post-1009-025037300 1283444885_thumb.jpg

We pulled into Circleville and headed to the diner that Steve had been to before (I think). According to the posted hours it should've been open but no one was there. We went down to the gas station and also found that closed. It appeared that the greater metropolis of Circleville was dying a slow death.

post-1009-041808100 1283445175_thumb.jpg

We eventually came across a diner called Butch Cassidy's Hideout and had a late lunch (ever notice that every other place in the southwest was "Butch Cassidy's hideout"?).

post-1009-078600100 1283445426_thumb.jpg

post-1009-047276600 1283445691_thumb.jpg

post-1009-073080900 1283445393_thumb.jpg

By the time we were done eating it was around 3:30. Since the unknown lay ahead of us and a majority of the riders were fried, we decided to split into two groups: Steve, Wayne and I would continue on dirt while the others took Hwy 89 into Marysvale. We had a tiny problem: We needed gas before we went into the boondocks. Wayne was asking someone if there was gas nearby when a local piped up that the station had suddenly closed a few days ago and that if we needed gas he'd sell us some. We went around to the back of the diner and he filled up our bikes.

post-1009-039301500 1283445828_thumb.jpg

The three of us took off on our route. The first five or so miles was an easy wide trail through open fields. Then we hit a moderately steep trail full off loose dirt and rocks, the kind where if you didn't keep up the speed (or if you weren't just plain awesome) you were doomed. I watched Wayne's bike skip around as he climbed the hill and I knew the only hope I had for making it up was to hit it with some speed and keep on the throttle. I probably wasn't even 25 yards up the hill before the bike went skittering off course and stalling. I fired up the bike and tried resuming the climb, but the rear tire just buried itself deeper and deeper. I got off the bike and tried rolling it to a new spot to try again, but the same thing happened. I had no choice but to roll the bike all the way back down the hill and try to run up it again. Easier said than done. I kept having to rock the bike over obstacles that chocked the wheel. I probably dropped the bike four times trying to get it down the hill. I couldn't complete my task; I was so exhausted from wrestling the bike that I could only wait for someone to come back.

Wayne eventually returned and reported that there was a lot more of the same crap to come. Since none of us had done this trail before, we didn't know if the rest of it was going to be easier, the same or worse. Wayne wasn't feeling his freshest at this point so we decided to get my Husky back down the hill and wait for Steve to realize we had abandoned him.

post-1009-030258100 1283445999_thumb.jpg

Eventually Steve came back and we all agreed that the best idea was to go back to the highway and slab it to Marysvale. When we reviewed our maps the next day, we realized that we were actually off course, having passed the trail we were supposed to be on. In a way it was good that they had me (the weakest link) with them or they might've continued east to Antimony instead of north to Marysvale (call me the Spin Doctor!).

It was sweet to finally get to the Big Rock Candy Mountain Resort. Never mind the fact that there was no free ice or that the jacuzzi was bone dry -- at least it fulfilled every filthy and tired dualsporter's basic fantasy: a hot shower and a parasite-free bed. The friendly bear was also nice and cuddly.

post-1009-033131100 1283446201_thumb.jpg

End of day 1.

Day 2 teaser...

post-1009-012894100 1283447169_thumb.jpg

smiley-signs009.gif

+1 (cool emoticon) and really cool report...I love Utah...

Needs to be spelled "ditto" though. :coolio:

Wow! I was in Utah on Thur, Fri and Sat. We rode from near Beaver to Antimony and on to Torrey for the nite. We were within a day or 2 of having a head on with you guys. If you're gonna ride Utah you gotta love ROCKS. Glad other riders are discovering the Piute trail system. Cool temps and beautiful scenery along with challenging trails, whats not to love.

Nice write up and photos.

I planned on going on this ride leaving from Page. But relatives interupted my plans. Enjoyed your report.

Wow! I was in Utah on Thur, Fri and Sat. We rode from near Beaver to Antimony and on to Torrey for the nite. We were within a day or 2 of having a head on with you guys. If you're gonna ride Utah you gotta love ROCKS. Glad other riders are discovering the Piute trail system. Cool temps and beautiful scenery along with challenging trails, whats not to love.

Day 1 we started in Parowan to Paragonah then thru Red & Cottonwood Canyons crossing SR20. We proceeded over the Circleville Mtns using trail #68 of the Paiute System. Quite rocky up to 10.5K ft then steep with sharp switchbacks into Circleville, but we all made it. Some of us took 89 to Marysvale. Myself, Wayne & Zina took the Rocky(I know where they got the name, see picture of Wayne) Ford Trail out of Circleville to intersect to Paiute #01 trail. The goal was to ride the Monroe Mountain ridge-line (parallel to the reservoir) into Marysvale. Since the trail was tough (just trying to keep it upright) we were not looking at our GPS and would have been in Antimony as we missed the 01 trail turn-off to head north. We then backtracked to Junction and then to Marysvale. About ~130 total ride miles.

I'll let Zina continue with her excellent photo-essay for days 2 & 3. More to come!

My day 2 write-up rambles on more than day 1. Seeing how long it takes a page to load due to the many photos, can someone advise me if I should start a new thread for day 2?

Holy Cow, Looks awesome! More more more!!! 8-]

Looks like good fun and Mimi is right, too much time in the desert.

My day 2 write-up rambles on more than day 1. Seeing how long it takes a page to load due to the many photos, can someone advise me if I should start a new thread for day 2?

Continue posting in this thread. Looks like we'll be on page 2 by the time you get to it so there won't be more photos to load on this page.

Day 2.

Because the guys were worked from the first day, they were more interested in a pleasant scenic ride as opposed to any more bike wrestling and excessive kickstarting. Steve, Wayne and I decided to try the trail that had a black diamond stretch. I'm generally not a fan of subjecting myself to black diamonds but there was only one stretch of it and it was going downhill. If anything, I knew gravity would get me down. How many times I'd have to pick it up would be another matter.

post-1009-039789100 1283525123_thumb.jpg

The first part of the ride was wide, easy fire roads.

post-1009-021527700 1283524403_thumb.jpg

post-1009-015888500 1283524563_thumb.jpg

We came to an open meadow where we took a bio break and snapped a few photos before heading towards the downhill stretch.

post-1009-029479600 1283525618_thumb.jpg

post-1009-080632800 1283526453_thumb.jpg

By the time I got to the top of what I assumed was the drop I had been dreading, Steve and Wayne were long gone so I wasn't sure how to take the hill. There was no real line -- just a bunch of softball sized rocks on a steep hill. Carrying a lot of speed to the bottom wasn't really an option since the trail took a hard left and disappeared into the trees. I rode my brakes all the way down, completely out of shape in a marginally controlled slide. When I caught back up to Wayne, his back brakes had gotten so hot from that stretch that they were gone. When we found Steve, he also mentioned that he had a case of brake fade. Gravity is a harsh mistress.

Our next point of interest was a water crossing whose depth was a total mystery. Wayne threw himself on the proverbial grenade and headed in.

post-1009-011235800 1283526740_thumb.jpg

About half way through, the water started creeping up towards his rear exhaust and the bike started bogging. He snapped the throttle in hopes a power surge would push him far enough so he could make it out, but the bike popped and died.

post-1009-009522800 1283526886_thumb.jpg

He got off and started to push but the water was too deep. Steve waded in and helped Wayne shove the bike onto dry land.

post-1009-029893900 1283527191_thumb.jpg

To no one's surprise, the bike wouldn't start. Now what? We did pass a black diamond trail just before we came to the water crossing so we knew there was an alternative route out. Steve suggested that he and I take that trail out and circle back around to where Wayne was. I felt a wave of horror. I only made it down the steep hill because gravity did all the work -- it was highly doubtful I'd be able to get up some other variation of it. I asked Wayne to ride out with Steve. Even if he dropped the Husky a bunch of times, it would've been less taxing for him to pick it up. Wayne agreed and waded back through the water to our side.

I slogged to the other side (man, that was cold water) and watched the guys take off. It was kind of a lonely feeling. I didn't know if they'd be back in an hour, several hours, or after dark. Who knows what other obstacles lay before them. In the downtime I pulled off the seat, removed the gas tank and took off the airbox panel. I tilted the bike over and pooled-up water dribbled out. It was probably futile, but I rolled the bike into the sun to facilitate drying.

post-1009-068035300 1283527629_thumb.jpg

There was nothing to do but wait and think about stuff like what I'd do if a bear showed up (jump back in the water) or perhaps some unsavory Deliverance types drove up (jump back in the water). I wondered if the guys were at another water crossing. I wondered if I'd need to sleep overnight in the outhouse. I wondered if I wondered too much. An hour later: What's that? The sound of motors?! Wheeeehah, it's the cavalry!

post-1009-091573500 1283528014_thumb.jpg

Wayne set to work to get his bike running again. He got the plug off and when he cranked the kickstart a fountain of water shot out. Yeah, this was going to take a while. The air filter came off and the excess water was slammed off. The float bowl got pulled and drained of the water-contaminated gas. We stood the bike straight up on its rear wheel to make sure there was no water in the exhaust. Another hour and many many many kicks later, the bike was finally ready to go. Smiles all around.

post-1009-024955900 1283528229_thumb.jpg

We made our way to the next destination: a ridgeline trail with the promise of epic views. The only problem was that where our maps and gps units showed a trail to access it, there wasn't. Even the dirt road that had gone in to erect the telephone poles was being slowly obliterated by growth. We went in a direction that seemed appropriate but we were soon in a steep and loose wash. I ducked to avoid a branch but didn't duck low enough as my head jerked back with a loud thud at the same time my mirror was being sheared off. That sent me and the Husky well off course and into a rut that I couldn't power out of nor roll back down from. Just like the day before, I had no choice but to sit there and wait.

Wayne came back down to report that it got easier higher up. Problem was, none of us knew if after this we had 40 more miles of easy street or sections of pure hell. I didn't like being the buzzkiller so I him that I'd make my way back to town on my own if they wanted to pursue the ridge trail. Wayne would not allow me to wander off on my own so we ended up all turning back. In my heart I could only hope that I had saved them from miles and miles of abusive geological garbage (i.e., more #%@^& loose rocks). I felt bad for Steve because I know he really wanted to ride the ridge; at least he'll have a good reason to go back.

post-1009-052174700 1283529161_thumb.jpg

We rode 20 miles on pavement to Junction. The woman working there happened to owned that station as well as the one that had just closed in Circleville. She said there wasn't enough business at the other gas station to keep it open -- that's one Circleville mystery solved. After gassing up we headed for the Fremont trail.

The Fremont trail was an easy route... but don't you know it's always the easy routes that catch you out? I came around a corner and when I gave it a little gas the bike kicked out and went down. My knee took the brunt of it and hurt like hell, but at least it still worked. I strapped the broken handguard onto the fender bag and continued on.

I came upon the guys chatting with a bow hunter who was stalking a deer with his hunting buddy. I thought for sure we must've scared off everything in a five mile radius, but the other hunter reported that he had shot a deer in the foot (not sure if they finished the task or if there's a deer running around the Fremont trail with an arrow hanging off its foot right now).

post-1009-015013000 1283529728_thumb.jpg

The hunters mentioned that a group of five riders had gone by only 15 minutes earlier. Hmmmm... there were five guys in the other part of our group. Turns out it was them and that they hadn't hit the trail until late so we were on the verge of regrouping. I wrapped up my swollen knee with a bandage and off we went in hopes of finding them.

I was bummed my knee hurt because there was a stretch of awesome sandstone trail I couldn't enjoy (bummed I also didn't stop to take a pic). It was barren so you could see many turns ahead and rail to your heart's content without worrying about meeting someone head-on. You dream about stretches like that. It must've sucked for Wayne, who insisted on being behind me (at least he did get to see me crash one more time and land on the bad knee). If I were him I would've just blown past me, knocking me off the trail if I had to. All's fair in love and war and riding.

Just as we pulled into the motel in Panguitch, the other guys also rolled up, having just filled their tanks at the station down the road. Based on his body position, I'm assuming Justin had another kick-fest day on his DRZ.

post-1009-055139100 1283530946_thumb.jpg

We had dinner at a great restaurant called The Smokehouse. You know any place with animals stuck to the walls is going to be meat-tastic.

post-1009-039715000 1283531930_thumb.jpg

loving the report Zina! ready for more

Me Too!

Existential Angst, Mishap and Mayhem are a delight for the spectator. :D

Zina, you're effin rad. I REALLY like reading your ride reports, always look forward to them!!

So nobody asks if Im ok. I could have died you know! :o But I didnt so there. :P Just a sprained wrist, sprained ankle and hyper extended knee. Thanks for asking!

UtahPaiuteFreemontBryce2010019.jpg

Anyway Im not letting a few get offs stop me from continuing on this trip. ;)

Just to add some photos from the other group on the Freemont trail for this day. We had a nice little ride with pleasant scenery

UtahPaiuteFreemontBryce2010110.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

We found a great place for a break under a cliff.

IMG_1197.jpg

UtahPaiuteFreemontBryce2010111.jpg

UtahPaiuteFreemontBryce2010112.jpg

The only hard part of the Freemont Trail was a dry streambed where Bikesluts DRZ decided to take a nap (no photo of the nap)

IMG_1200.jpg

But then we rode on.

UtahPaiuteFreemontBryce2010114.jpg

Until we meet Zina at the motel and locked the Bikes together by their wheels. (makes a nice star that way).

UtahPaiuteFreemontBryce2010117.jpg

So nobody asks if I’m ok. I could have died you know! :o But I didn’t so there. :P Just a sprained wrist, sprained ankle and hyper extended knee. Thanks for asking!

Who could have predicted that you would fall on the first leg of a Boat440 trip, when the ones in the past have gone so well. (To soon?) :heh: :heh: :heh: Seriously glad that you didn't get hurt worse. Looks like I missed another epic ride. Great reports and pics so far. I do want to see a pic of the downhill you guys cooked you brakes on. :) Ken

So nobody asks if I’m ok. I could have died you know! :o But I didn’t so there. :P Just a sprained wrist, sprained ankle and hyper extended knee. Thanks for asking!

UtahPaiuteFreemontBryce2010019.jpg

Roger, How did you sprain your wrist, ankle and hyper extend knee when you landed on your shoulder???

Here's the detailed breakdown on day 2

Starting from the Rock Candy Resort in North Marysvale we proceeded to Thompsonville Road to Trail #35 east. This merged onto Trail #2-01 north. Highly recommended trail! Many of the Day 2 pictures are from the Dry Creek Canyon area.

We continued onto trail#01-10. The end of this trail had the steep downhills which overheated all of our brakes. The downhills were straight down, not switchbacks. It wasn't clear why switchbacks were not added to lessen the ascent, but the majority of the trail was quite fun. Towards the end of trail at the Box Creek crossing is where Wayne submarined his bike. The "Lessons Learned" we discussed is for someone to walk across unknown water crossing depths. Had we done that we would not of had to dry out Wayne's bike.

Wayne and I then followed a similar nasty trail (to avoid any additional newborn submarines) to a small town called Greenwich on SR62. The trail was fairly steep with lots and lots of rocks & loose sand/slit. Wayne did a good job of getting Zina's Husky up the hill despite the light rear springs & nearly bottoming the suspension.

Lucky for Zina I marked a waypoint where she was or we would still be looking for her. We had to first backtrack east (a short distance) and then go north several miles before being able to return to her. Not knowing the trails or her location the waypoint came in handy. Another "Lessons Learned".

At the town of Greenwich we finished crossing the Monroe Mountains & then proceeded across the Koosharem Valley to the Parker Mountain range. The goal was to ride the single track ridge line for 36 miles. I received the single track from a friend who previously lived in Richfield, Utah. The challenge was to approach the trail from the west, his route was from SR24 which is northeast. Well I found some older trails I was able to connect to the single track. I double checked them in Google Earth & they existed, but you really cannot tell the quality of the riding surface from Google Earth. Well they were completely eroded & had not been ridden in quite some time. The location at which Zina knocked her mirror the trail was really, really bad(no pictures). I avoided it by going parallel & off the trail. I think Wayne followed. Wayne & I made it up pretty high, it did flatten out so we stopped. We both turned around and you could not see Zina (the hill was so steep from our location you could not see the bottom). We waited for Zina for approximately 10 minutes & then Wayne went back down to check. I decideded to go up farther to "scout". The angle of incline was less but the rocks never let up. I did finally find the trail, but equally rocky. I went down & met up. Upon arrival, Zina was done & me knowing the amount of rocks ahead this route did not seem to enjoyable. We were also miles north of Marysvale & I estimated we were ~75 miles to Panguitch. Had we had been fresher & earlier in the day (we lost 2 hours with Wayne's bike & it was after 3:00pm) we would have attempted the ridge line route. Next year anybody, same weekend, 1 year to clear your calendar's for 2011???

So as prepared dual-sporters we used our contingency plan & slabbed it back to Junction via SR62/22. A quick non-nutritious bag of Chex-Mix & 1.6 gallons of 92 Unleaded Premium & we off to the Fremont Trail to our day 2 destination of Panguitch.

The Fremont trail was quite uneventful except for miles & miles of towering aspen groves providing a welcome sun canopy, vast stretches of dairy farms, sharing the trail with multiple cattle, deer, elk & snakes, pastures & pastures of the darkest-greenest grass, pastures of daisy's and multi-colored riding surfaces such as iron rich "red" soil, "white" limestone stretches & finally "pink" quartz laden sand dune type areas.

Total ride miles = 186