dsfox

Big Bear Coon Cabin Weekend Adventure

FINAL UPDATE: FEW NEW ADDITIONS.... 9/9/10 BIG BEAR ADVENTURE: COON CREEK CABIN GROUP CAMPING - I'm leaving in 9 hours.......:D

UPDATE: THINGS TO KNOW:

FOREST is on HIGH fire danger...so unfortunatelly we can't light fires at the cabin:( ...BUT we have enough lively characters camping with us to keep the evenings interesting....everyone bring your lanterns if you have them....

We will be one of the last, if not the last group to use the cabin site...it's closing next year for camping...

John said there are some BEES around, so if you are ALLERGIC, please bring your epi pen and LET US KNOW about it....

It's been COLD at night (30's-40's) so bring appropriate gear....

Johnnybags is nearby already, and exploring more terrain...and has another camp space and 2 parking spots down road...

(anybody coming up for a day ride, might be able to use that)...

We will have laptop and Beemers' and XR650LBUM's toyhaulers/generators, so we should be able to upload gps tracks on site, bring your cables, if not Garmin...

BEAR COUNTRY: we will be needing to lock ALL food/beverages up in the trailers, cars at night....(though bears can break into cars).....and stow all trash, beverage cans, etc in the metal trash bins provided onsite....they say to not even have toothpaste in your tent at night....just so everyone is aware and careful...unless you like the big hairy types in your tent....if so, remind me to put my tent far from yours!

No stores are closeby: (30 miles +/-) .... bring what you need for the weekend....

Friday and Saturday Dinners and Sat. and Sun. breakfast are covered...menu below...

Verizon Cell phones work at cabin...maybe other carriers also?...

Access road is suitable for 2wd...dirt with water bars...5 miles +/-.

NO water at site (bring all you need for weekend), (toyhaulers may have some extra, if you ask nicely)..

Pit toilet on site,

Bring tent, camping gear, gas, all beverages BYOB , ( bear country, so we will have to lock all food and beverages up at night...).

Vehicles (our 14 listed below) DO NOT need adventure passes when parked at cabin....(all other vehicles will need them anywhere in forest).

Plan to tent (most of us were anyway)....: Hope it isn't an issue: found out cabin is historic monument, we can use, but they don't want us "sleeping" in it....(kind of weird but ranger stated that this weekend. they DON'T say this online when you reserve)..

BIG BEAR TRAIL RIDERS: NO MORNING MEETING.. bbq at park in Big Bear City, 11 am-5 pm, family event, we are welcome to stop by...BUT You must RSVP if you're going:....I have maps for location FROM BBTR: " Please RSVP on the website. No charge for event. www.bigbeartrailriders.com ......thank you and looking forward to seeing all the members and families.

Big Bear Trail Riders"

Guys found some good, challenging single track, not far from cabin.....fun addition

Friday 9/10 -Sunday 9/12, 2010

Private Group Camp Site in the Beautiful San Bernardino National Forest, close to miles of incredible Dual Sport riding on a variety of trails in Big Bear. TENTING, TRAILERS...on Rustic Historic Cabin site...No frills camping, Fire ring, picnic tables, pit restroom building, Amazing view from site of Palm Springs Desert Below. There will be maps, ride ideas, gps tracks and directions available on site.

We will do community meals for the most part. (except lunches on trail)

SPACE IS LIMITED : 25 CAMPERS/RIDERS and 14 VEHICLES Max..(TRAILERS COUNT AS SEPARATE VEHICLES, SEE VEHICLE LIST BELOW)...

COST PER PERSON FOR WEEKEND: $40 (includes camping fee, 2 dinners, 2 breakfasts, supplies)

1 DAY RIDERS / VISITORS: can ride into site and won't count toward our max. numbers...as the public can ride in to the view anytime....

FRIDAY NIGHT: All you can eat Carne Asada Street Tacos w/ all the fixings, Chips/salsa, Beans

SURPRISE DESSERT.

SATURDAY AM: Muffins, Yogurt, Fruit, coffee, juice

SUNDAY AM: Bacon/cheese croissant sandwiches, fruit, coffee, juice....

SATURDAY NIGHT: PULLED PORK DINNER (specialty of baldbeemer/mistress), side dishes, dessert

Cost includes paper products, cooking fuel, Ice for food, etc.

All Camping Gear, Gas, Water, and Beverages Are on your own.

Lunches: on your own, restaurant options available, depending on your route.

GETTING THERE: Coon Creek Cabin (CA)

From San Diego hwy 15 to 215 north to Highway 10 east.....near Redlands take HWY 38 North to Heartbar area and take Right on FOREST RD. 1N02 …about 6 miles into the cabin....

SOUTHEAST side of Big Bear Lake, off Hwy. 38 Angelus Oaks CA 92305

GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude): 34.14889, -116.70944 (from Nat. forest site), didnt' check this on my tracks to see if it matched?>...

INLIST 9-6-10....need more info? call deb (858) 395-0258 or john 619-241-3268.

RIDERS: VEHICLES

1 JOHNNYBAGS WILL RIDE IN

2 DSFOX vehicle 1

3 PYRO WILL RIDE IN

4 MISTRESS OF THE DUAL vehicle 2

5 BALDBEEMER toyhauler 10

6 XR650LBUM vehicle 3 & trailer 4

7 COVERED IN DUST with TLKING

****8 KTMRAD, WILL RIDE IN

9 Trophyhunter vehicle 5

10 SNEEKER vehicle 6

11 TLKING6 vehicle 7 (no trailer probably)

12 CABLEJOCKEY vehicle 9

13 DON JOHNSON vehicle 11

14 STREGA vehicle 12

15 CMAYER31 vehicle 13

16 RANDYKTM530EXC vehicle 14 LAST VEHICLE...

17 klrscumbag WILL RIDE IN,

18 Ironman WITH TROPHY

19 Todd N2TM vehicle 8 (tracy no trailer)

20 Captcham needs a spot for trailer on site,

so if someone is willing to unload and move one truck a mile to johns yellow post he can camp with us....?

21 kiwi wayne riding up with pyro....friday night/LEAVING sat. am

22 KLXGUY with mistress/beemer...

****(8) Randy might be ought....But XR650BUM is bringing a guest

23? Hoss314 might be in at least for riding with us...

POSSIBLE DAYRIDE VISITORS:

SCHWINN PLUS 4 STAYING AND EATING PLUSH SOMEWHERE IN BIG BEAR...

Crawdaddy & COMPANY?

Bikeslut & COMPANY?

Spyder?

</B>

post-13396-074649100 1280534417_thumb.jp

post-13396-096732000 1280534485_thumb.jp

I am going to try and make this one. Are we all sleeping in the cabin or is it the meeting hall? If it is easy to get there, I will bring the toyhauler. Do you know if we can do green sticker as well as dualsport.

I am going to try and make this one. Are we all sleeping in the cabin or is it the meeting hall? If it is easy to get there, I will bring the toyhauler. Do you know if we can do green sticker as well as dualsport.

Road is about 6 miles, dirt....not "terrible"...some water bars, etc....I've taken my motorhome over worse, but that is all relative,.....I'll call the Natl forest regarding the toyhauler onsite, but a vehicle should be a vehicle.... it would count as 2 vehicles (truck/hauler)..but that may not be an issue?..we can only have 14 max onsite.....

also, Johnnybags will have his "yellow post" campsite down the road, so perhaps you could camp there, and just do meals with us?...

No green sticker bikes - plated only (should have posted that, sorry).....this is true for all but small portions of big bear (Cactus flats area on East side) and Crab flats to pinnacles on Northwest side......lets stay in touch as plans progress....

WOW very organized. Sounds like the perfect weeked but I might have to pass , B) My Mom is visting so throw a log on the fire for me.

oh we are so innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. support, supply, whatever is needed count me in

Deb I'm in, is Tracy going? If you don't know I'll start bugging him about it.

Chris Nelson

Covered in Dust

Guest Crusty

I feel very fortunate to be a new member of this site. I am stoked and cant wait to go on some adventure rides. Me and my wife will be going to Big Bear next weekend, staying in a cabin by the lake but it would really be cool if we could go on the Big Bear Coon Cabin Adventure with the San Diego Adventure Riders. Are new members welcome to join this adventure?

Crusty

Right now I'm 90% certain that I and my son (Fenix) are in. Been wanting to get back to Big Bear and do more riding.

Chris Nelson

Covered in Dust

that would be great...start bugging...I know he's swamped at work, but he NEEDS to get out and ride !

....... Are new members welcome to join this adventure?

Crusty

ABSOLUTELY ! 1ST COME, 1ST SERVED....You're on the list...

I feel very fortunate to be a new member of this site. I am stoked and cant wait to go on some adventure rides. Me and my wife will be going to Big Bear next weekend, staying in a cabin by the lake but it would really be cool if we could go on the Big Bear Coon Cabin Adventure with the San Diego Adventure Riders. Are new members welcome to join this adventure?

Crusty

Just remember as the new guys you are in charge of all the flats and all bike repairs necessary through out the weekend B)

I'll put it on the calendar, but that is the same weekend of the MX final at Pala sad.gif. My son will most likely want me to take him to that instead biggrin.gif. Sounds like a real blast and if I can't make this time, we will just have to do it again.

Thanks for organizing some fun.

Rob..

Chris Nelson

Covered in Dust

that would be great...start bugging...I know he's swamped at work, but he NEEDS to get out and ride !

count me in

Johnnybags has informed me that there are NO fires allowed at this time. I would guess that the bbq grills are still OK. BaldBeemer and I will also be bringing a propane grill for anyone to share.

if anybody wants to drive up Saturday night or Sunday morning early, PM me, and we'll try to work something out... have an enclosed trailer we can park elsewhere... as long as you don't snore

if anybody wants to drive up Saturday night or Sunday morning early, PM me, and we'll try to work something out... have an enclosed trailer we can park elsewhere... as long as you don't snore

Hey...this might work....tight schedule and all....hmmm...oh...

Ya learned your lesson in AZ, I see......not that I didn't warn ya....:unsure:

My mother flys in on the 8th and Jarrett should be back in town by the 9th......I may drive up for a day with Jarrett and Caitlynn on Sat or Sun but we wouldn't be staying the night.......this will be the first time Jarrett's been home since he enlisted in December, he only has a couple of weeks, he'll be in high demand, and I'm not sure when he'll be back again (he reports to Scott AFB first week of Oct)......so we'lll likley be limited to a day ride......

Johnnybags has informed me that there are NO fires allowed at this time. I would guess that the bbq grills are still OK. BaldBeemer and I will also be bringing a propane grill for anyone to share.

I spoke with the rangers info line yesterday, and she said YES to fires in the rings...but no worries either way...cooking with Propane would be MOST AWESOME ANYWAY!....So lets just plan on that...I also have a couple camp stoves for coffee...A MUST in my book....

And Trophy, thanks for the Pics inside...I didn't take any of those....a perfect set up in the cabin might be a cot, sleeping bag and mosquito net hung from the rafters.....don't know if mosquitos will be an issue, but I always plan for it, and take it from there....the back 2 cabins are dirt floors, but could even set a small tent up inside with air mattress ......many options....but put all the SNORERS....in the same area....:lol:

I think we could have unlimited people there during the day....because passers by can just ride in and park bikes....so only limit is the number sleeping....

Bob, you probably could just pull in at night no big deal....we'll work it all out....

......coffee...A MUST in my book....

My kinda girl :lol::lol:

You betB) ....sleeping in the wilderness....waking up at 7500 foot elevation....the smell of sage and pine..the peace and utter quiet......the gleam of the morning sun coming over the mountains....the cool dawn air.......ahhhh.....The nice hot cup of fresh coffee to enjoy it with... PRICELESS !