Here's some shots of parts of the new trail area. It is not a trail for everyone. Intermediate and advanced level terrain for the most part. MCtrails and Racerbill were out there working. I got out late and eventually caught up to where they were. We were all pooped by that time. I cut away from the guys to do a bit a regular trails, but they never quite found the "other" end of the trail, so they left that for another day. It was the first time that my KDX ever overheated and blew back into the bottle in the six years that I have owned the machine. Admittedly, these days I generally prefer to spend most of my time on more docile terrain that doesn't strain the bike or myself. :blink:

100_2847.jpg

100_2849.jpg

"I was there" shot.

100_2851.jpg

100_2852.jpg

Augh....gnats!!!!

100_2855.jpg

100_2857.jpg

100_2858.jpg

100_2860.jpg

100_2861.jpg

100_2862.jpg

I finally caught up to the trail breakers.

100_2863.jpg

100_2864.jpg

My poor hiney was totally kicked after making my way across that stretch of trail. If I were about 20-25 years younger, this trail and I would get along perfectly. :curtsey: It's suitable for small, light, nimble bikes. I can't wait till the trail is ready for it's public unveiling.

Actually we DID find the other end of the trail but we had to ride back out and come in from the other end. Still not able to tie the two ends together as there are 1 or 2 heavy brush sections that need to have a path cleared through them. Other areas have some not so thick brush but still need a little trimming.

Here is pic of Mimi riding up to where Bill and I were sitting on top of a big rock overlooking a long section of the trail. See if you can find her in there somewhere.

post-4114-1263405735_thumb.jpg

This is the area where we had to turn around. The bikes (you can barely see them) are on the trail which continues to the left. This is the section that needs the most work right now. It is near the east end of the trail.

post-4114-1263405751_thumb.jpg

IS there a corral canyon trail map that has this new trail overlayed on it? I'd like to see where this trail is relative to the existing trails.

Oooh....oooh! I know! :curtsey: I'm right there. What do I win? Probably another trip out there with some loppers and a saw. :blink:

trailshot3-1.jpg

IS there a corral canyon trail map that has this new trail overlayed on it? I'd like to see where this trail is relative to the existing trails.

New Corral Map

It is trail 912 just south of trail 911 (old trail number 11, Gun Slinger)

THAT LOOKS LIKE THE SAME TRAIL COOPDOG, GREG AND I RODE LAST YEAR AT NIGHT. IT DOES LOOP AROUND. LIKE TO MEET THE GUYS WHO HACKED THEIR WAY THROUGH THE BRUSH TO MAKE IT!!!!

THAT LOOKS LIKE THE SAME TRAIL COOPDOG, GREG AND I RODE LAST YEAR AT NIGHT. IT DOES LOOP AROUND. LIKE TO MEET THE GUYS WHO HACKED THEIR WAY THROUGH THE BRUSH TO MAKE IT!!!!

There really wasn't any trail to speak of last year. The trail is still almost completely undefined in many areas. We wouldn't even know where to follow anything if it weren't for the ribbons that mark the way. It is a club effort to build and maintain the trail per instructions of the ranger who oversees the area and all the projects within.

If anyone wants to get involved with any projects, they will find information about that in the "adopt a trail" forum.

Dirtdame...where is the 450???? It would not over heat. <_<

Certainly it would have. Besides, it is not dainty enough to hit this kind of stuff. Light bikes and even trials bikes fit the bill right now.

Dirtdame...where is the 450???? It would not over heat. <_<

Certainly it would have. Besides, it is not dainty enough to hit this kind of stuff. Light bikes and even trials bikes fit the bill right now.

Fine keep my dream bike in the Garage... :unsure:

Fine keep my dream bike in the Garage... :unsure:

It's getting ready to undergo some suspension mods real soon.

Ya know what bike wouldn't overheat out there? The KLX300. <_<

New Corral Map

It is trail 912 just south of trail 911 (old trail number 11, Gun Slinger)

Woo hoo! Motorcycles only designation, I like it.

Woo hoo! Motorcycles only designation, I like it.

Nothing else will fit. <_<

And we aim to keep it that way. :unsure:

MC, thanks for the map.

Here's my 2 cents on the trail cutting.

Recommendation on Very Tall Brush Clearing:

If you cut the tall brush narrow with just enough width for a bike, the bikes will carve a ditch deep and you will have erosion problems. By contrast, if you cut a 8-10 foot path, it will allow different ride lines and alleviate erosion problems and add greater visibility. Getting the riders to use different ride lines is very important to erosion control. I removed roots 8-10 foot wide. Each year there is still trimming. Just 2 cents thrown in. A hand brush saw, branch clippers and a maddock (sp.?) for stump removal is all you need.

MC, thanks for the map.

Recommendation on brush clearing:

If you cut the brush narrow with just enough width for a bike. The bikes will carve a ditch deep and you will have erosion problems. By contrast, if you cut a 8-10 foot path, it will allow different ride lines and alleviate erosion problems and add greater visibility. Getting the riders to use different ride lines is very important to erosion control. I removed roots 8-10 foot wide. Each year there is still trimming. Just 2 cents thrown in. A hand brush saw, branch clippers and a maddock (sp.?) for stump removal is all you need.

I'd have to disagree about cutting a path 8-10 feet wide. There are plenty of single track trails that don't have different ride lines, I think that would cause more erosion than one line. If you ride other narrow trails at corral, they are not cut 10 foot wide.

The brush only needs to be trimmed enough for a true single track trail. That's also only my 2 cents <_<

The brush only needs to be trimmed enough for a true single track trail. That's also only my 2 cents <_<

I agree. Keeping it narrow also keeps it from getting traffic from "non-designated" users.

MC, thanks for the map.

Recommendation on brush clearing:

If you cut the brush narrow with just enough width for a bike. The bikes will carve a ditch deep and you will have erosion problems. By contrast, if you cut a 8-10 foot path, it will allow different ride lines and alleviate erosion problems and add greater visibility. Getting the riders to use different ride lines is very important to erosion control. I removed roots 8-10 foot wide. Each year there is still trimming. Just 2 cents thrown in. A hand brush saw, branch clippers and a maddock (sp.?) for stump removal is all you need.

I'd have to disagree about cutting a path 8-10 feet wide. There are plenty of single track trails that don't have different ride lines, I think that would cause more erosion than one line. If you ride other narrow trails at corral, they are not cut 10 foot wide.

I appreciate your input guys. You both present good ideas but I have to side with Randy on this. Single track trails are usually just that, a "formed" trail tread that is only about 12" wide. With good soil and trail routing they are easily maintained and have minimal erosion problems. If you make the trail wider then basically you are going to create a bigger problem if there are problems. With that said its not a perfect world so there will be issues and we will deal with them as they come up.

Having cut in a few trails myself I'll say the cutting has to be a little wider than your handlebars in the straight portions but in the turns it's important to determine the line you will use and cut the brush to allow for leaning the bike. Some of the brush McTrails and I encountered was super thick and it's gonna take some time just to hack a trail in, then we'll fine tune it. There's a fairly technical uphill with some turns and a rock gap you have to hit just right about 1.5 miles in thats gonna be a problem with trenching, especially for the knobby tire types. I love trail building and can't wait to ride this trail after it's cut in, it's a great feeling.

There's a fairly technical uphill with some turns and a rock gap you have to hit just right about 1.5 miles in thats gonna be a problem with trenching

Must be the one where my radiator boiled over. <_<:unsure:

Looks to be a really nice trail, can't believe y'all get the opportunity to build it. Anyone know what the approximate length from end to end on this trail is going to be? Keep up the good work, I'd much rather be building trails!

Having cut in a few trails myself I'll say the cutting has to be a little wider than your handlebars in the straight portions but in the turns it's important to determine the line you will use and cut the brush to allow for leaning the bike. Some of the brush McTrails and I encountered was super thick and it's gonna take some time just to hack a trail in, then we'll fine tune it. There's a fairly technical uphill with some turns and a rock gap you have to hit just right about 1.5 miles in thats gonna be a problem with trenching, especially for the knobby tire types. I love trail building and can't wait to ride this trail after it's cut in, it's a great feeling.

Looks good and like a lot of fun. Sounds like a project I can get into. Wish I could be helping out now. Soon as the foot can handle it, I'll be there