Crawdaddy

EXC 450 vs. WR250R - huh?

brand racism is funny... most people accept the fact that if a brand offered NOTHING to the consumer, it wouldn't last long (*cough cannondale*)

Those are two pretty different machines, with different missions... like bag said... run what ya brung; it's not a race, and we're not getting paid to endorse a product...

If you have fun on your bike, it's all good.

advrider can be a little bit high school/bitchy sometimes, even outside of Jo Momma. One of the reasons I hardly ever visit there. Even though the majority of them ride, the majority also never meet each other in the real world, and have the manners that confirm they probably won't. One of the beauties of SDAR... real riders; little internet bravado

and GOOD NATURED ribbing... (Don, Chris, Roger, Fake, Blind... man! I guess I have bad internet manners too)

Glad I own BOTH a EXC 520 and a WR250R :lol:B)

Im just playing here but:

The best option is a WR450F B) Nothing like being able to race/trail ride/dual sport one bike with out doing a top end or valve adjustment in 15K miles!

Crawdad, just curious.......do you know what the oil change interval is on the WR250, and the horsepower rating ?

You seemed so excited with your KTM 620 Adventure and riding back from Colorado on it, and future, long distance Adventure Rides.

Do you plan on riding the WR250 on long Adventure Rides, like to Colorado, etc. ?

Crawdad, just curious.......do you know what the oil change interval is on the WR250, and the horsepower rating ?

You seemed so excited with your KTM 620 Adventure and riding back from Colorado on it, and future, long distance Adventure Rides.

Do you plan on riding the WR250 on long Adventure Rides, like to Colorado, etc. ?

Recommended oil change intervals are 3K miles.......but I wring its neck a lot when I'm riding it (it's a 250!).......so I have to believe the oil will breakdown.........so far I've changed it at 20 miles, 300 miles, and 1K miles......I'll probably continue to change it every ~500-750 miles and replace the filter every other change.......it's VERY easy......one plug/no pre-filter screens/one filter.....takes all of 5 minutes.......I may be changing it more often than necessary but I figure it's good insurance........Rotella T is cheap at Wallyworld and I buy the filters from Rocky Mtn for ~$4......so no BFD.........besides, can you ever really change your oil too often?.....I don't think so......

I think the hp is about ~27(?) as opposed to a XR400 at ~30(?)hp......it's gutless......it's a 250!......I don't really care.......I've ridden powerful bikes for years.......the little bike is fun once you have it up in RPMs and I just downshift if I want more punch out of the little engine.......

I LOVED my KTM 620......still do (Glad Strega has it in case I need to play repo-man :lol:B) ).......unique/rare bike......ridiculous range......good power.......but I honestly didn't envision myself riding it much once I got the WR250R.......and I needed the $$ to help buy (and farkle) the WR250R......I'm an old/fat guy and the WR250R is easier for me to ride/pick up than the big 620.....

I would not hesitate to ride the WR250R on long ADV rides.......that's the mission I had in mind when I bought it.......it's silky smooth when forced on the paved road (gutless but smooth) and I can attack "ANY" terrain along my path (I could attack most anything on the 620 too but it's easier/more fun "for me" on the little bike).......

Chris, good review and explanation.......thanks !

Wow, oil change 2000 - 3000 miles on a little 250, that's better than the racebred motors like the Husky's and KTM's.

What I like about my 640, and Bagstr's 690, is also the 2000 - 3000 mile oil changes.........those intervals are a REAL dualsport type motor.

CR500, the only way to go...............all else is useless, anyone who rides anything but are useless......

just kidding. my unwanted 2 cents. enjoy the ride no matter ya brung!!! just dont ride Chinese or....... forget it ride whatever ya want!! Just have safe fun doin it!!! R

Craw, you are a champ for being "calm" as possible with some SERIOUS asshats in there.

kinda surprised me the amount of "righteousness of their opinions", hard to fathom that thinking.

i read ALL 15 pages, and from that i dunno if i want to meet some of those guys...odd vibe. :blink:

maybe i was reading "into" some of the comments, but i couldn't help but see how someone's OWN ego can get in the way of civility...

just amazing, to me, that it devolved into trailering a 690... :ph34r:

and here i am, thinking, i like MY bike, i got no reason to bash another person's choice...but that's me.

Blind B)...internet anonymity makes for interesting banter

Craw, you are a champ for being "calm" as possible with some SERIOUS asshats in there.

kinda surprised me the amount of "righteousness of their opinions", hard to fathom that thinking.

i read ALL 15 pages, and from that i dunno if i want to meet some of those guys...odd vibe. :blink:

maybe i was reading "into" some of the comments, but i couldn't help but see how someone's OWN ego can get in the way of civility...

just amazing, to me, that it devolved into trailering a 690... :ph34r:

and here i am, thinking, i like MY bike, i got no reason to bash another person's choice...but that's me.

Blind B)...internet anonymity makes for interesting banter

YOU ride a DRZ400s... you don't have ANY business even READING about two bikes like the WRR and EXC... you are obviously a n00b, and lack the skills and judgement on how to BUY a bike much less RIDE one... furthermore, your bike is BLACK... n00b color...

there Michael... it's like you never left

You're welcome

2010 KTM 400 XC-W <-- Newest

2009 KTM 530 EXC

2009 KTM 690 Enduro R <-- My favorite

2009 KTM 690 Enduro R <-- Yes, I have 2 of them

2009 Yamaha YZ250F

2009 Kawasaki KX450F

2008 KTM 990 Adventure (LC8)

with a stable like this, iphorde should maybe look into a MotoAnonymous...after all most people have only one butt(*although with him, i dunno :blink: )

and i'd think he'd be more relaxed about other people's opinions....

Blind B)...still VERY proud of Craw...well done sir :ph34r:

Someone just posted a couple of pretty cool WR250R videos in that ADVRider thread:

As I posted over there, the videos clearly illustrate the fun factor of the little blue bike......you ride it as if you're mounted on a two stroke......wring its neck, wind it out, have FUN! .......I'm not talented enough to wring the neck of my 520 in the woods.....I'd wind up stuffing it into a tree.....but I can get away with it on the WR250R ridng as fast as "I' feel comfortable riding......and, as stated before, the bike "feels" lighter than my 520 in the tight stuff for exactly that reason......I'm wringing its neck in the upper RPMS and riding it like a two smoker.....takes me back to my youth.......THAT's why "I" like my girl bike in the tight stuff and my 520 in the open desert.....

AdvRider...Isn't that where guys with BIG bikes troll.

BAGSTR - Reformed AdvRider Poster.

We joke about the small girl bike, but the reality is that there's only a handful of guys that could ride that thing to it's full capacity here. Bike does have power, you just gotta get up in the rpm's to get it.

Sorta. The oil change interval is pretty short. They are racing thoroughbreds, not packmules.

Is KTM really that high maintence?

Once the valves break in you hardly ever have to mess with them and there pretty easy once you get it down

people LOVE to put bikes in categories... especially OTHER peoples bikes. EVERY bike has detractors that will point out flaws in that model... I'll start with mine... it's heavy, and down on power... suspension is sub-par and should've come better from the factory... seat is borderline uncomfortable...cs sprocket, ACCT, final gearing and tires all need attention before taking it on the dirt... sppedo is at least 5% optimistic...magnesium cases need armor from the factory...I could go on for days, but point is, every bike has some challenges. If there was one perfect bike, for everyone, we would all ride it. comfort, maintenance, initial cost, COLOR, power, and brand allegiance all help you pick a bike.

comparing the EXC and WRR is funny, because the differences are obvious, and there is no need to slam the other bike, in order to justify your own. We each picked the bike we ride, and in most cases knew what we were getting, and why...

people LOVE to put bikes in categories... especially OTHER peoples bikes. EVERY bike has detractors that will point out flaws in that model... I'll start with mine... it's heavy, and down on power... suspension is sub-par and should've come better from the factory... seat is borderline uncomfortable...cs sprocket, ACCT, final gearing and tires all need attention before taking it on the dirt... sppedo is at least 5% optimistic...magnesium cases need armor from the factory...I could go on for days, but point is, every bike has some challenges. If there was one perfect bike, for everyone, we would all ride it. comfort, maintenance, initial cost, COLOR, power, and brand allegiance all help you pick a bike.

comparing the EXC and WRR is funny, because the differences are obvious, and there is no need to slam the other bike, in order to justify your own. We each picked the bike we ride, and in most cases knew what we were getting, and why...

Spoken like a true slut!! Bike Slut that is B) I like it.

Let's see I've had my WRR about a year now 8600 miles so in another 2-2.5 yrs Ill check my valves :P (26,000 mile valve check)

I go back and forth about wanting other more purpose driven bikes mainly for the idea of A) going to the Mx track or B) something more sport touring related for much longer slab journeys but I can't really wring the neck of the bike I have.

The answer to that guys post would be to have both, the beauty of the WRR is that you get a lot of the things you desire out of something like a KLR or the 620 but you retain the ability to ride the bike on much more technical terrain. Its no race bike but it will go pretty much anywhere. And with the maintenance intervals and EFI its a great bike for riding hard and putting away wet so to speak

BTW that first video is a japanese guy and he mounted a YZF250 exhaust to the WRR

Crawdaddy, has anyone speculated about offering a 450 version of your bike? ;):oB)

I hear ya, but I can just downshift and wring it up to ~70mph out on the pavement......good enough for me.......I rarely ride faster than ~60mph on the pavement anyway........you can usually find me looking over both shoulders trying to find a dirt road/trail running parallel to the slab.......and once over there I'll probably be down at ~40mph or less......"I" don't really need more "power".....I have a KTM 520 if I need/want a short thrill ride out in the desert/dunes......

I bought the WR250R to use as my "Travel/Adventure" bike......I bought it for it's durability/reliability and "Anywhere" rideability/access.....I wanted a bike that could swallow massive miles without concern yet also allow me the ability to ride "Anywhere" once I drop my bags......

So "I" don't really care if Yamaha builds a 450 version or not

Won't help me since I already have a bike, but I'd like to see Yamaha spend some R&D $$ on a decent size "stock" gas tank on their new models......seems silly (to me) to market a bike as a "dualsport" then provide it with a 1.9 gal (CA. model) "mx" sized gas tank ..... if the benefit of ownership is the ability to ride anywhere, they oughta provide it stock with some range.....the benefit of increased capacity/range far "outweighs" the extra weight of the bike........folks shouldn't have to come up with Rotopax rigs or Safari tank solutions............Yamaha should supply decently sized gas tanks as part of the stock package.....just my $.02 (and I fully realize no one at Yamaha is listening)