650hucker

What bike for a new rider?

I have a friend who wants to get into dual sport riding. He has some expierence on dirt, mostly 250s and riding his 400 quad. He really wants to get into dualsport riding, but is very picky, and says his bike MUST be fast, and must be the spec sheet king :unsure:. He wants at least 30HP, probably WANTS 70 haha.

He is 5'10 or so, and about 250+lbs. His budget is about 2 grand. Looking to buy used (obviously).

Any ideas?

Also, he just registered, should be verified soon, his name is freeride619

I have a friend who wants to get into dual sport riding. He has some expierence on dirt, mostly 250s and riding his 400 quad. He really wants to get into dualsport riding, but is very picky, and says his bike MUST be fast, and must be the spec sheet king :unsure:. He wants at least 30HP, probably WANTS 70 haha.

He is 5'10 or so, and about 250+lbs. His budget is about 2 grand. Looking to buy used (obviously).

Any ideas?

Also, he just registered, should be verified soon, his name is freeride619

30hp + $2K = XR400.......NOT fast, a bit of a pig, no electric start........but also reliable and you're likely to find a plated one in the price range he's looking at........a better option would be to stretch the budget and go look at Bills DRZ 400......no magic button but its bound to have better suspension and be a step up in performance....

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6041

A drz 400s can be found for right around that price, not high performance but a good reliable just over 30 hp bike.

well I didn't do it on purpose, just worked out that way, but I have 3 kawi's...no complaints at all......got both 2 strokes (one plated) for less than $2k each....1 a 2004, the other 2001...good time to buy...deals are out there....

He's looking at some XR650s. Great bikes, but seems like a death toy for someone with no road riding expierence...

If transitioning from dirt to street the most important thing is he takes a MSF class.

Most dual sport bikes are not really going to ride much like a lot of normal streetbikes because they sit so tall and have different ergo's and most of the time weigh a lot less too.

RacerBills DRZ 400 S sounds pretty much about as close as your buddy will get to what he wants. If he is that picky he would want an XR650R not L and I dont think he can find one for 2k thats anywhere decent

I went last week to look at a really nice 1997 XR400 up in Hemet for $2,000, plated. If anyone thinks that he needs a bike with more off road performance than that bike has, he is either a top ranked racer or has an ego problem. The tough part about picking a dual sporter is deciding if you want a dirt bike with lights or a street bike that can go off road. My DR650 will go anywhere off road that I have any business going, is lots of fun around town, and can handle a short run up the freeway at 65 (it's geared down a little from stock, but still not as low as a real dirt bike). And did I mention that it's a really heavy pig in deep sand? When performance is # 1 and cost isn't an issue, you want a Husky or KTM (maybe that new BMW 450?). It's much more about your riding skill level and comfort than the bikes performance. On a really gnarly trail, a plated CRF 230 is the best bike around.

........ The tough part about picking a dual sporter is deciding if you want a dirt bike with lights or a street bike that can go off road. My DR650 will go anywhere off road that I have any business going, is lots of fun around town, and can handle a short run up the freeway at 65 (it's geared down a little from stock, but still not as low as a real dirt bike). And did I mention that it's a really heavy pig in deep sand? When performance is # 1 and cost isn't an issue, you want a Husky or KTM (maybe that new BMW 450?). It's much more about your riding skill level and comfort than the bikes performance. On a really gnarly trail, a plated CRF 230 is the best bike around.

You just described my stable......WR250R (street bike that can go off road - most anywhere), KTM (dirt bike with lights) for "give it to me" performance, CRF230F for family fun......all plated.....all with their own purpose B)

I have to admit, if asked for what bike for a new rider, I'd be forced to consider the WR250r.

There, I've typed it. I like the little girl's bike. Fine.

I have to admit, if asked for what bike for a new rider, I'd be forced to consider the WR250r.

There, I've typed it. I like the little girl's bike. Fine.

I completely agree with you, but as stated above by lemie, he has an ego problem, or is compensating for something (he also wants a huge lifted truck...)

But, since he is being more sensible, he's looking at an older KLR600 for 600$

Thanks for the help!

If he's a new rider the XR650 will be a lot of bike for him. They call it the Big Red Pig, BRP, for a reason. I'm a decent street rider and played around on 125 two smokes when I was younger and I can honestly say that the XR650R is too much bike for me. It's a blast in big open areas, but tighter sections and deep sand would be a lot more enjoyable on a smaller bike. The other thing with the XR650R is that it has a relatively high seat with a high center of gravity. You really have to know what's under your feet when you chose to dab a foot. Most of my falls have been slow speed climbing crap and not being able to get a foot down.

That said, I got an amazing deal on a very well cared for XR with every trick in the book thrown at it by a factory rider. I couldn't say no, but my relearning curve in riding dirt is a lot tougher on the big bike than it would have been on a smaller bike.

An ego is a hard thing to tame, but he'll enjoy starting his dirt riding on a smaller bike.

Best be careful throwing down that "Girls Bike" comment. I hear Mimi can take you up some trails on a CRF 230 that will leave you gasping for breath and bleeding! Years ago at Indian Dunes I caught a faceful of roost from Sue Fish, 1977 womens national MX champion... I don't mess with GRRRLS!

If he is a "spec" guy, and on a $2000 budget, he is going to be walkin'

Hard truth? If he really wants to ride dirt, an XR400 or DR350 will suit his needs just fine. I'll invite him next time I ride with ste63 ...the bike does just fine.

You don't ride specs or ego...and you don't impress high school girls with a beat up dual sport...

So have Schwinn send you a photo of his bike, and he can show that to the girls

Buy a used air cooled dirt bike, and work on skills

As jaynen said...ego equals dead on the street...get some skills and some training before heading out there...cages are out to kill you

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

If he is a "spec" guy, and on a $2000 budget, he is going to be walkin'

Hard truth? If he really wants to ride dirt, an XR400 or DR350 will suit his needs just fine. I'll invite him next time I ride with ste63 ...the bike does just fine.

You don't ride specs or ego...and you don't impress high school girls with a beat up dual sport...

So have Schwinn send you a photo of his bike, and he can show that to the girls

Buy a used air cooled dirt bike, and work on skills

As jaynen said...ego equals dead on the street...get some skills and some training before heading out there...cages are out to kill you

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

I hate to admit it but Bukeslut and Jaynen are right on with this advice. Forget the ego trip and be honest with your self, Think about what bike actually fits the rider, his skill level and what kind of riding he will be doing. A cool looking bike may not be appropriate for any of these criterion. Once you get the right bike practice, practice and practice under safe conditions. I started riding when I was your age and 50 years later I am still riding. Most of my old friends are no longer riding or even alive. Ego brought down most of them.

Don

hey guys. im the one looking for the new bike.

ive been checking out an 1986 klr 600 for 600$

or a 1998 xr 400 for 1700$

and ignore some of 650 huckers comments cause thats not what im about

i have quite a bit of dirt expierence and i just want a dirtbike that i can ride on the street.

im not trying to impress anyone, im just trying to have a good time

ego is not what im about at all

and ignore some of 650 huckers comments cause I realize how stupid I was being, but now have changed

i have quite a bit of dirt expierence and i just want a dirtbike that i can ride on the street.

im not trying to impress anyone, im just trying to have a good time

Hahaha. Ok.

*edited for realisticness*

I think a 'tweaked' DRZ-400-S is what you need but the budget will probably be 3K.

Any 600s bike is an overkill for a beginner and they are heavy. If you are used to dirt bikes you'll find that you need too much speed to keep a 600 riding well on a sand wash.

Most of my bruises and injuries came from the XT600, XR650 or the Raptor 660. As somebody said, a XR is pretty tall and I found myself in trouble following some 250cc. They climbed trails floating over the rocks when I had to gas it and pray I make it. Once a XR is down is hard to pick up. A KLR might need two set of hands to pick it up. The KLR has the lowest sitting position but I don't see it exceeding in any other area (never owned but tried a few).

My riding group was KLR650, DRZ-400-S and Kawi 250 and Honda 230. The 250 and 230 never had any issue except on the street had limited speed. The KLR determined the points of no return; once that beast was down some trails we knew it was not going back up.

A 400 is a good compromise. It has enough power on the street so you don't need a fast entry speed on corners. I practice in HVR and I am faster and more comfortable on the DRZ than on the SV1000S.

My 2 cents.

I think a 'tweaked' DRZ-400-S is what you need but the budget will probably be 3K.

Any 600s bike is an overkill for a beginner and they are heavy. If you are used to dirt bikes you'll find that you need too much speed to keep a 600 riding well on a sand wash.

Most of my bruises and injuries came from the XT600, XR650 or the Raptor 660. As somebody said, a XR is pretty tall and I found myself in trouble following some 250cc. They climbed trails floating over the rocks when I had to gas it and pray I make it. Once a XR is down is hard to pick up. A KLR might need two set of hands to pick it up. The KLR has the lowest sitting position but I don't see it exceeding in any other area (never owned but tried a few).

My riding group was KLR650, DRZ-400-S and Kawi 250 and Honda 230. The 250 and 230 never had any issue except on the street had limited speed. The KLR determined the points of no return; once that beast was down some trails we knew it was not going back up.

A 400 is a good compromise. It has enough power on the street so you don't need a fast entry speed on corners. I practice in HVR and I am faster and more comfortable on the DRZ than on the SV1000S.

My 2 cents.

thats what i was thinking.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/1515211935.html klr 600

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1516679910.html xr 400 that i was thinking about getting

im a begginner and i think a 600 might be a little over welming on weight, power also maybe.

im 6 feet tall so height shouldnt be a big problem. and a xr 400 might also feel more of a dirtbike.