piratemonkey

Duplicating a motorcycle key

I'm putting this in the technical section since this applies specifically to getting moto keys made...

I took my Husky and DRZ key to a locksmith to have them duplicated. They're not chipped so there was no problem getting them done. However, neither duplicates would work. The locksmith did warn me that the keys might not work and that he'd have to make some adjustments. When I brought them back he looked through his big book of key patterns again and said that nothing was an exact match and that he'd give me my money back. Oh well.

So has anyone successfully had a motorcycle key duplicated by a locksmith in the SD area? I sure do like having at least one spare.

I'm putting this in the technical section since this applies specifically to getting moto keys made...

I took my Husky and DRZ key to a locksmith to have them duplicated. They're not chipped so there was no problem getting them done. However, neither duplicates would work. The locksmith did warn me that the keys might not work and that he'd have to make some adjustments. When I brought them back he looked through his big book of key patterns again and said that nothing was an exact match and that he'd give me my money back. Oh well.

So has anyone successfully had a motorcycle key duplicated by a locksmith in the SD area? I sure do like having at least one spare.

Yes, Redfield's in Hillcrest, but they charged a lot because they had to order the blank. Best locksmith in town is GRAH corner of University and 10th.

p

Zina, did you buy your bikes new ?

Your key may have a number on them.....if so, call the manufacturer and they might be able to send you a duplicate.

I've always gotten 2 keys with my bikes, never tried having a duplicate made, but I would think maybe a specialty locksmith might be able to make them.

Do you still have the original key with the numbers on it. You take that 1 to the dealer. It takes about a week. You need the serial #s on the piece of metal or the knockout that comes with the original keys.

there's a guy on TT DRZ forum that has www.fastkeys.com in his signature line...smrookie i think his name is.

he has a key made into a die(*one of a pair of dice) that i am jealous of...dunno if HE made it tho.

he has a DRZSM in Mira Mesa...might be worth a shot?? esp with the DRZ involved.

Blind B)..hope that helps

P.S. someone mentioned the Suzuki Samurai blank works for the DRZ too....*shrug* dunno if THAT'S true...but hey stranger things have happened

When I bought my 950 from Motoworld in El Cajon, it only came with one key. The parts guys ordered a couple of blanks and tried to copy the keys there, but they couldn't. Apparently, KTM does something funky with their keys so they can't be duplicated in the normal fashion (the blanks have angled grooves in them). Looking at the one key I had was even more disturbing. It wasn't the proper blank and someone had ground the blank to make it so it would work in the bike (it was a pretty ugly hack job once they pointed it out to me). My bike was a "dealer trade" and I guess when Motoworld took delivery, they had to do some fancy footwork to get a key working on it. They wanted to avoid replacing the locks since it was a $500+ affair (the same key works the igntion - including the entire wiring harness, seat lock, and two gas caps)

They gave me two blanks and sent me down the street to a a locksmith (Lynn's Locksmith I believe it was) they had a relationship with. These guys looked through the computers and books and everything and essentiall re-cut keys from scratch based on measurements from the one crappy, hand-cut key I had. Their copies worked perfectly.

I'm not sure if they can help, but I'd give them a shot... I was pretty impressed...

Drill the ignition out and use a screwdriver.

Take it down to GP's grand opening on Saturday. They are supposed to have a husky rep there, I bet they can help you. I am thinking about seeing if I can get a new kick stand for my Husky, I heard they were replacing the early 08 stands.

BTW if you leave your key in the ignition you won't loose it. If you are worried about some one trying to steal it just hit the kill button. After many a crash I have not been able to get my bike going until I figure out that the kill button is in. What I haven't figured out yet is if I am so good I hit the kill button that quick, or I always just accidentally hit it when I crash B);)B) .

These guys looked through the computers and books and everything and essentiall re-cut keys from scratch based on measurements from the one crappy, hand-cut key I had. Their copies worked perfectly.

I'm not sure if they can help, but I'd give them a shot... I was pretty impressed...

Yeah but if you remember Doug it was very expensive. Not for you for me! I cost me several thousand dollars! B);)

Last time that I had a copy made (for my Kawasaki ZR550) it didn't work either, so I filed it till it did. Took about a half an hour of filing and checking the fit.

Thanks everyone for the info. I might be able to file on the DRZ key a little since that went in, but the Husky one refused to go in at all.

I think the lesson that I learned after losing the Husky key in the Sequoias is to put a big ol' fob on it. If you're wondering what the search for a lost key looks like on a GPS, here it is (1/3 of a mile across):

post-1009-1251249110_thumb.png

And yes, it was every bit as annoying as it looks!

Not too sure about the newer bikes but the ignition switch is pretty easy to bypas on most magneto ignition systems. Unplug the ignition switch and the grounding of the ignition coil is disconnected. On many older bikes all you need to do is remove the headlight and disconnect the ignition switch and kick start it.

I hate my new Toyota Tacoma Radio key, locks you out of everything. :angry:

Not too sure about the newer bikes but the ignition switch is pretty easy to bypas on most magneto ignition systems. Unplug the ignition switch and the grounding of the ignition coil is disconnected. On many older bikes all you need to do is remove the headlight and disconnect the ignition switch and kick start it.

I hate my new Toyota Tacoma Radio key, locks you out of everything. :angry:

I think she has A key for each bike, she is just having issues with getting a duplicate made...

tom; very helpful info... from the guy without a key on his bike at all...

Don; my xr is very easy to remove and bypass the ignition... and the starter even worked. I rode it that way for two days, until I found the key...

Zina; the dealer should be able to get the right blank and/or a duplicate key

Hey Bob

Since I have not really had much experience with wussy electric starts, I am curious how you got the electric start to work without the battery system hooked up. Most positive cables go through the igniton switch before they go through the rest of the accessory electrical circuit.

Don

Hey Bob

Since I have not really had much experience with wussy electric starts, I am curious how you got the electric start to work without the battery system hooked up. Most positive cables go through the igniton switch before they go through the rest of the accessory electrical circuit.

Don

there is a harness behind the headlight... I pulled on it, and unclipped it... took a cotter pin, and put it in two of the holes, and it started right up... vibrated out after a couple of minutes, so i taped it in place, and pulled out the pin when I got to my destination.

Cotter pin was made of some "post Bronze Age" alloy :angry:;)

Hey Bob

Don

there is a harness behind the headlight... I pulled on it, and unclipped it... took a cotter pin, and put it in two of the holes, and it started right up... vibrated out after a couple of minutes, so i taped it in place, and pulled out the pin when I got to my destination.

Cotter pin was made of some "post Bronze Age" alloy :angry:;)

Your ARE smarter than I thought. Nice work-but real men still kick start, even old ones. ;)

DRZ ignition uses a YH50 ilco blank. It is longer than stock but works just fine. I had two cut at convoy locksmith ( same parking lot as cyclegear on convoy) and both worked. Call ahead to see if he can order one if none in stock. cost 8 dollars for both the keys to be ordered and cut.

I went to FBC and ordered a set of keys for my KLRs (yes i have to KLRs)

The keys were $12.00each and when they came in, they were going to cut it for me.

Well, the machine they had, would not cut the key for the KLRs, something about the blank being too thin.

I took it to HOME DEPOT where they cut it for free.

the bike are 07and 04

I went to FBC and ordered a set of keys for my KLRs (yes i have to KLRs)

The keys were $12.00each and when they came in, they were going to cut it for me.

Well, the machine they had, would not cut the key for the KLRs, something about the blank being too thin.

I took it to HOME DEPOT where they cut it for free.

the bike are 07and 04

that would have sucked if Home Depot had the blanks for $3.99 with a free cut

House of Motorcycles had key blanks for my V Strom in stock and they were able to cut and file them to where they would actually work. It was neither quick nor cheap but I wasn't about to head to Alaska with only one key.

Try Kendall at Tru-Lock on pioneer in El Cajon 1-866-878-5625

super nice guy and a real wizz at locksmithing

DRZ ignition uses a YH50 ilco blank. It is longer than stock but works just fine. I had two cut at convoy locksmith ( same parking lot as cyclegear on convoy) and both worked. Call ahead to see if he can order one if none in stock. cost 8 dollars for both the keys to be ordered and cut.

I finally got off my @ss and tried to get the key made again. I stopped by this place since I was in the area; he had the YH50 key and made the DRZ copy, no problem. He looked at the Husky one and wasn't confident the blank he had would work. He said he'd know for sure if I could bring the bike buy but since I didn't want to go through that hassle I just took the $4.50 gamble (imagine me in Vegas!). He said he was 95% confident it would work and sure enough, it did.

Thanks again to all for responding. Quite the handy-dandy resource you all are.

[_____ Thread from the dead...

I recently had a missing key situation. I can't search the word "key" here, so I searched locksmith. This was one of 2 threads on the subject.

Thought I would share my story...

I had one key that came used with my street bike. I had a spare made forever ago but never needed to use it.. Till today. come to find out the key fit my ignition perfect, however it didn't fit the gas tank or trunk.

Luckily the spare was the right cut with the wrong blank. The locksmith was able to cut the new key. He gave me the correct blank number and my key code.

I recommend Dup-a-key on Garnet...same parking lot as Mr Frostie.. Key and an ice cream...