Ron

Motorcycle insurance

My insurance is about up.

What are the best deals out there? Anyone found any great deals? Who would you reccommend?

Thanks

Ron

I have Allstate. Mostly because that's where I have everything else, so I get some multiple policy discounts.

I've heard though that if you didn't previously have MC insurance with them, that they aren't taking on new MC policies.

More expensive than some insurance policy numbers that I've heard people quote, but I do know that at least in my case, Allstate really went to bat for me when I was sued by someone for an accident that they claimed I caused (no contact and I wasn't even involved - just stopped to see if I could render aid, and left a statement with the CHP. After two years and a jury trial I was found not guilty :-).

Also, Allstate paid up without question when I totalled my '96 GSXR-750 and gave my what I thought was a very reasonable price for the bike.

I just switched from AAA to Gieco. I just wanted liability on my bikes. and Gieco was the same price for all 3 of my bikes that AAA was for one bike. The clincher for me was that I already had insurance on my Husky and went to get insurance on my DRZ and Yamaha. AAA wanted the same amount of money for the second and 3rd bike. I am the only driver on the bike policy and I can only ride one at a time, it just seemed ridiculous that they wanted me to pay the same amount for one rider on 3 bikes as for 3 riders on 3 bikes. Well I didn't explain that very well. Bottom line is that Gieco was easy to deal with, and I had insurance on-line in about 20 minutes for 1/3 the cost of AAA. I am legal, but I don't know how easy they are to deal with if there is an accident. Good luck, Ken

I just switched from AAA to Gieco. I just wanted liability on my bikes. and Gieco was the same price for all 3 of my bikes that AAA was for one bike. The clincher for me was that I already had insurance on my Husky and went to get insurance on my DRZ and Yamaha. AAA wanted the same amount of money for the second and 3rd bike. I am the only driver on the bike policy and I can only ride one at a time, it just seemed ridiculous that they wanted me to pay the same amount for one rider on 3 bikes as for 3 riders on 3 bikes. Well I didn't explain that very well. Bottom line is that Gieco was easy to deal with, and I had insurance on-line in about 20 minutes for 1/3 the cost of AAA. I am legal, but I don't know how easy they are to deal with if there is an accident. Good luck, Ken

I know my old bikes are not worth much and I am the only rider so I have four bikes insured with Progressive for a total premium of $75 a year for liability only.

Don

I've been very happy with Progressive. When I had a head on with my 525 a few years ago and broke my bike in half they paid to have it rebuilt without question. It was an offroad accident on Bear Valley Road but I had full coverage. They have many discounts for rider courses, AMA membership, multiple bikes, etc. They are worth checking out.

State Farm has been good to me, Bikes, Jeep, Hotrod, Home, toy hauler ect. Although I have only filed a couple of claims.

I have Allstate. Mostly because that's where I have everything else, so I get some multiple policy discounts.

More expensive than some insurance policy numbers that I've heard people quote, but I do know that at least in my case, Allstate really went to bat for me when I was sued by someone for an accident that they claimed I caused (no contact and I wasn't even involved - just stopped to see if I could render aid, and left a statement with the CHP. After two years and a jury trial I was found not guilty :-).

Also, Allstate paid up without question when I totalled my '96 GSXR-750 and gave my what I thought was a very reasonable price for the bike.

Allstate the good old good hands people, remember those ads? I always liked the commercials as a kid. Unfortunately they could have the lowest rates in the country and I could not go with them.

Back in the early 60s my father was looking for insurance and one of their salesmen told him they don’t insure dogs or Marines. :lol: At that time my father had been through two major wars and a few minor “police actions”. His third major war was just a few months away. Needless to say he wouldn’t ever use Allstate and neither will I. Yeah I was with the Utah State Motorcycle Club also. That is at least two customers lost because of one idiot salesman.

I have different companies for my home, life, car and motorcycle insurances. At one time this made sense. But circumstances have changed. You guys have got me thinking I need to get with the wife and check out companies again.

Allstate the good old good hands people, remember those ads? I always liked the commercials as a kid. Unfortunately they could have the lowest rates in the country and I could not go with them.

Back in the early 60s my father was looking for insurance and one of their salesmen told him they don’t insure dogs or Marines. :lol: At that time my father had been through two major wars and a few minor “police actions”. His third major war was just a few months away. Needless to say he wouldn’t ever use Allstate and neither will I. Yeah I was with the Utah State Motorcycle Club also. That is at least two customers lost because of one idiot salesman.

I have different companies for my home, life, car and motorcycle insurances. At one time this made sense. But circumstances have changed. You guys have got me thinking I need to get with the wife and check out companies again.

Roger,

you will absolutely save money by going with the same company and combining all your policys.(our homes, cars, ect) I saved up to 25% by doing that with All State. The reason I went with All State is, I grew up with the agent and I trust her. That being said, I thought she told me that they did not have motorcycle insurance, or maybe it was too high and it made sense to go with someone else. I will check again today.

Ron

I have AllState for all of my policies, as well... for about 20 years now.

One totalled truck, and one stolen motorcycle... all in all, I'm fairly happy with them, but I will be shopping around soon... house, ring, van, truck (just one now), 3 motorcycles... it adds up

I just checked with my All state agent and its $76.00 dollars a year for liabilty ins and $170 a year for full coverage.

Seems okay?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ron

what size bike? My DRZ full coverage is less than my XRL liability only... something about 600 cc bikes have a higher crash ratio (stunters and squids). My 400 is less than that by quite a bit... Allstate

and again... the squid reference has NOTHING to do with any branch of military service... semper fi, anchors away, hoo rah, etc. It is the young, hyper, inattentive sport bike rider that purchases a bike to be like their friends, and promptly crashes it...

there's an acronym for it, but it slips my mind right now

there's an acronym for it, but it slips my mind right now

Braindead on Bikes.....uh, BoB.

C'mon, put 'em up....

State Farm has been good to me, Bikes, Jeep, Hotrod, Home, toy hauler ect. Although I have only filed a couple of claims.

ditto... car, truck, bike, and condo w/ them currently. they've always been good with me.

all right Ken... you and me in members only... by the bike racks

Hi Jack OFF

Hi, WHO? :rolleyes:

I have AAA and pay 281 a year for the 98 VFR and 244 a year for the 04 KTM SXC. I went to Mcgraw and got a quote - 944 a year for the same coverage! :blink:

Gieco was 464 a year for both ($71 less).

I carry Bodily Injury for 100/300 and Property Damage for 100k - also I have Uninsured motorist, and comprehensive with a $1000 deductable (no collision).

I am thinking of using Gieco and reducing my coverage. It is really easy to use their website and figure out what the different coverages and levels cost. Progressive's site was more difficult to use, you could not get 50k of PD without 100/300 BI coverage and the price was high. I have had my M-1 endorsement for only about 2 years - maybe that is the problem.

If I drop down to BI at 30/60 and Property Damage at 50k then drop everything else it is only $127 a year thru Gieco - It would take an hour on the phone to compare AAA.

What level of coverage should a cyclist have? :ph34r: In 25 years of paying insurance I have only used it twice and the dollar amounts paid out were low. One was for and uninsured motorist that hit me - the other for a scratched trunklid on a BMW that I contacted.

I just have liability on my 3 bikes. About 80 a year on the 450 and 550, and 38 a year on the 300. I have Sate Farm, same as my cars.

I just have liability on my 3 bikes. About 80 a year on the 450 and 550, and 38 a year on the 300.

What level of coverage on Bodily Injury and Property Damage? Maybe I should just do the State Required Minimums?

I just have liability on my 3 bikes. About 80 a year on the 450 and 550, and 38 a year on the 300.

What level of coverage on Bodily Injury and Property Damage? Maybe I should just do the State Required Minimums?

I'm running state minimum liability on two dirtbikes, one 600cc sportbike and a bad ass scooter and I'm just under $100 total with Progressive.

I also dropped my full coverage and am running liability. For the Husky, DRZ and Yamaha Virago 750 it is about $75 a year.

I started my insurance by adding my KLX to my Allstate policy. My agent told me Allstate uses a different company for motorcycles--ok? The company that they set me up with could not seem to get everything in order. They would send me packets in the mail over and over wanting me to sign the same places. Just when I thought I was all done with the paperwork (about 2 months went by) They sent me a notice telling me my policy was cancelled because they found me "uninsurable" something about my inexperience. I have never had any accidents and insuring me was no problem before for them so this was the last straw. I am now insured by Geico and have not had any problems very easy online or over the phone. And they were cheaper about $150 for (2) motorcycles with liability and uninsured motorist. Allstate was surprised I cancelled their coverage but when I called them with the problems they told me to call that company b/c it is their policy!! I do not remember the name of Allstate's motorcycle carrier but they suck and like to waste a LOT of paper.

Geico= $320 a year for "Full" coverage on the DRZ and TRX (quad).

Update: Got quote from my homeowner insurance guy @ Countryside Insurance, Temecula

COVERAGE LIMITS PREMIUM POLICY (higher limits than Geico):

07 SUZUKI DRZ400s & 2005 Honda TRX 500

Bodily Injury Liability $100,000/$300,000

Ea Person/Ea Accident

Property Damage Liability $100,000

Ea Accident

Medical Payments $5,000

Ea Person

Guest Liability $100,000/$300,000

Ea Person/Ea Accident

Uninsured/UnderinsuredMotorist $100,000/$300,000

Ea Person/Ea Accident