bikeslut

whats your line of work?

Is this what it would be like if I went to my High School Reunion?

But really, I need to work at this to match the diversity on this page. Just shows the talent needed to ride Dual Sport.

Dave

No- At your high school reunion, you'll never see them til the next one... so you lie your ass off :lol:

I, personally, invented the iPhone, sold my ideas to Apple, and live large on the proceeds... (fake story)

(true story)- I played in a professional big band... professional as in, we got paid, but 75% had real jobs.... Except the guy next to me... he invented Kaashi (whatever its called) cereal, and sold it to some big company (General Mills or something)... HIS only real talent? Getting together a bunch of people to do "their part"... nutritionists, chemists, etc. He gets the idea, has the others do "their part", produces the product, then sells the whole company! He's filthy rich... His next plan is a plant supplement for household growers...

Hi Jack-Off!

I'll still be doing the same line of work after 20 years in the Navy when I retire ...but I'll be making a little more $$ doing it than I did on active duty.

BOOM BOOM! :)

Image292.jpg

This weekend I'll be back in SD

SDAR Party Time?

I commented in the other thread that Crawdaddy linked - But what the heck - this thread includes riding history. I work as a Power Plant Equipment Operator for Southern California Edison.

I Rode 3 wheelers and Quads back in the 90s. Had one bike that kicked my butt (YZ490) and quit riding in 94. Got back into quads in 04 then picked up dual-sporting in 05 so that I could use the trails around my place in Julian. Ride ok but could probably use a ridding clinic or two.

Hey Chief, can you get me one of those? I have $2.46 in my pocket, would that be enough :) Maybe I'll stick to my .40, I can still afford that, though its only accurate enough to hit a car if you're sitting inside...with the windows shut :D Working on getting my concealed carry permit up here, never could figure out how to do it legally in CA.

Love this thread, Bikeslut I love it when people show interest in others.

The name is Dave, life is good to me

See you out there.

I work with Chris at ViaSat. Been with ViaSat for almost 14 years. Have been working for over 30 years in the satellite communications field as an electrical engineer. Now that ViaSat is putting up our own satellite, my full time gig is FCC and international radio licensing and regulatory work. In fact at this moment, I'm in Geneva at an ITU regulatory seminar.

Been riding since I was about eleven. Started off riding some friends home made mini bikes with 3.5 HP B&S lawn mower engines until I got my Benelli 65 cc scrambler. Then a Yamaha DT-250B enduro bike where I spent most of my youth, then a 1975 RD-350, next a 1981 Seca 750, 1983 GPz-1100, 1988 FZR-1000, 1996 GSXR-750, 1998 R1, 2000 GSXR-750, 2000 DRZ-400e, 2006 TE-510, 2007 GG TXT 300 Pro. Whew!

Did some road racing in 1998 with CCS and won the California regional amateur 750 sport bike and GT-1 endurance championships, and placed 2nd in the 750 super bike and Sr sport bike championships (I turned 40 that year).

Raced again with CCS as an expert in 2001 and was doing OK till being knocked down (and out) by another rider in July. Just a minor concussion, but took a ride to the hospital and a beating from my wife. Two weeks later we found out she was preggers, and that pretty much ended my racing activities - along with some help from 9/11.

Continued to do track days and video for another couple years along with riding up at Palomar (along with Mike Baker and Pat Garrison, we started the Palomar Mountain Mafia - mostly as a joke), till on two successive weekends I had guys blow the double yellow and come at me head on. I missed them, but with two small kids at home I decided it was time to cut back on street riding and focus more on dirt.

Here's a link to some on track video take at Arizona Motorsports park - I'm on the camera bike:

http://www.hunterfamily.name/images/trackc...%20at%20AMP.wmv

Now I mostly ride the trials bike - the polar opposite of road racing :-)

As posted HERE, I work at ViaSat with SDAR members Daryl and Fred2 (George)……VistaCARider (Brandon) used to work here……we may have a few others who are SDAR members but I don’t know their call signs…..I put my B.S./J.D. to work preparing/negotiating proposals, contracts and subcontracts primarily in support of our Tactical Data Links business segment…..

On a personal level, I wasn’t allowed to have a bike as a kid but I rectified that scenario once I graduated from High School in 77’ and left New Jersey to go to school in Oregon :lol: ………worked on a dairy farm the summer after my sophomore year and rode 3 wheelers/XR500 (I think?) around the farm..…..I’ve been riding road bikes since SDAR member, and fellow Oregon State Alumni, Snaildarter (Fred) sold me his 77’ GT550 two stroke street bike ~30 years ago B) when he moved up to a GS750…..I had a host of Kawasaki GPZ street bikes throughout the 80’s (550, 750, 750 turbo)……took about 10 years off from riding when the kids were really little, I was working full time, and I was going to law school at night.....I had no time for ANYTHING back then (traded my 750 turbo for a Econoline van! B):D:D )…….then got heavy into bicycling (road and mountain biking) ~15 years and 40 lbs ago :D ……picked up two (2) GPZ 1100’s in the mid 90’s and ran’em each up to ~50K miles…….great sport touring machines…..by the late 90’s I’d sold both GPZ 1100’s and picked up the 98 Honda 996 Superhawk after hearing the “roar of the twins” at the track a few times…..by then, my son was 7 years old and my daughters were 9,11,13…....decided it was time to back off on the "all about me" solo bicycle riding experiences, get some dirt toys, and go have "two wheeled family fun"……I picked up my “Dune Monster” CR500 and the kids went through a whole series of bikes/quads…….after playing off road with the kids for a few years (primarily in Glamis because my girls were only interested in riding in the sand), and after growing weary of kicking the CR500 beast, I picked up a used 98' YZ400F that had been dualsported/plated in 2002 and so began my dualsport passion……the YZ400 was great bike but it was also more of a track bike since it had a close ratio gear box/kickstart…….by then Jarrett was ~13, growing like a weed, and had several years of riding under his belt……so I farmed the YZ400 over to my son and picked up a used 2002 KTM EXC 400…..Jarrett and I started going on a host of Dual Sport rides together and it was a blast...........I’ve since sold the YZ400 to Bikeslut’s buddy, picked up the 520, and sold the 400 out from under Jarrett last year when he started waffling in school….his grades are back up now…….and I’m older/fatter now :lol: ……so these days he rides the 520 and I ride the 620…..unless the terrain gets ugly in which case I’ll put him on the 620 and I’ll ride the 520 (I may act dumb sometimes, but I ain’t stupid :P:D )

So that’s my story……

I'm in the Navy and I've had a lot of bikes.

I'm also a man of few words.

... Navy ...had a lot of bikes.

...a man of few words.

edited for you Tom

thanks

I'm an electro-mechanical designer/engineer. No degree but lots of OJT. I started out on the drawing board as a drafter and quickly moved on to design work and being a supervisor and manager. Everything is done in CAD now. Worked for a number of government contractors before going to Qualcomm in 94 when they were ramping up to introduce CDMA. What a great place/time to work that was.

Qulacomm let me go right after 9/11 and I tried out early retirement for a few years while replacing my old piece of crap house with a new manufactured home and built a garage and 600 sq ft motorcycle workshop on the property. :lol: Also spent a lot of that time riding trails locally and in Utah and Colorado.

I'm currently working at iShock in El Cajon, 3 miles from my house. We make aftermarket shocks and long travel a-arm kits for ATVs and UTVs. We also do suspension rebuilds and revalving. My job is creating CAD models and drawings of our products for manufacturing.

I also served about 20 years volunteering for SDORC and was president for a year before getting burned out on that. I put on a dual sport charity ride each year for a few years as part of a MDA fund raiser event which is now called Operation Desert Fun. Been riding dirt bikes for 39 years now and street bikes for 7 years.

That's me.

-Alan

What the heck, I'll play too. I'm a civil engineer currently working for the City of Coronado, been there about 7 years. Prior to that I worked in private industry doing design of highways and storm water conveyance systems (i.e. channels, pipes, even participated in the design a dam in SB county). Like crawdaddy, I wasn't allowed to ride motorcycles when I was a kid due to the fact that a motorcyclist ended up a hood ornament on my mom's car (his fault though, he ran a red light). I went to college at Cal Poly SLO and met a few friends that rode dirt bikes up there and the rest is history. Bought an XR600 that I am still riding today but next year I'm looking to by something new; and light and electric start! I don't ride as much as I'd like to since the wife and kids (2 daughters) haven't really taken an interest in it but I usually get out once a month. I will be taking the family to superstition for new year's.

Own a powdercoat shop in el cajon (during the day)and work as a supervisor in an aerospace manufacturing plant (night shift) to keep the doors open. :) 17 hr days doesn't leave much time for riding but I'll post when I do.

Animation Teacher / Animator

I Have been teaching Animation at the High School Level for the past ten years. We where using Maya for the past 5 years and just switched over to cinema 4D. I also have been working on an animated short "Life On The Desk" that I just finished. It has taken me three years and six months to finish!!! Strega and Jaynen, we need to talk.

My main job now is Father to my 3 kids. I am a licensed tile setter. Love construction. Need a project done give me a call.

Did not have the opportunity to have motorcycles as a kid. Recieved my first motorcycle in my 30's as a down payment for a job.

Hi my name is Brent and I am addicted to motorcycles! It all started when I was a we tike, my dad was working for Lars Larson at Halman. I didn't start racing or ridding really untill I was about eight or nine years old. After growing up racing, play ridding every weekend, and ridding out of the garage all over Campo and far east county. I started woking in the industry in 1993. I have worked in all the depatments through the years, and have loved every one. When my last job fizzled out, I found myself searching for a place that I was abble to fit in without feeling like a number. I had recently pruchased my 08 excr and was thinking it would be cool to work for a smaller shop. SOOOO I gave RJ at All American a call. Befor I knew it I was there.

The thing I love the most about woking in our industry is connecting with people that have as much passion as I do for a sport that has shaped my life. The fact is without those people to help keep you interseted, this would not be nearly as fun! So thats my story.

See ya on the trail.

B.C.

post-11646-1229231866_thumb.jpg

Hey Chief, can you get me one of those?

Tomahawks are little hard to come by these days :)

RULES FOR WORKING WITH GUNNER'S MATES

RULE# 1: Always trust a Gunner's Mate….they only lie for your own good.

RULE# 2: Never, ever under any circumstances leave a woman unattended while there are Gunner's Mates

in the vicinity

RULE# 3: Foul language is trait inherent to all Gunner's Mates. Please don't be offended by it; they don't

realize they can be offensive unless they try.

RULE# 4: Do not turn your back on an unopened alcoholic beverage when there are Gunner's Mates around.

RULE# 5: Always let a Gunner' s Mate drive, they know where they are going.

NOTE: Unfortunately they don't always know where they are at the time.

RULE# 6: Never let a Gunner's Mate file anything!

RULE# 7: Do not attempt to scare a Gunner's Mate; you never know what they might have in their hands…

i.e; a gun, big wrenches, power tools, beer, or metal parts.

Rule# 8: Gunner's Mates always say what's on their minds, Feel free to be offended when you leave

RULE# 9: Do not try embarrass a Gunner's Mate. They do it quite well on their own.

RULE# 10: WARNING: If a Gunner's Mate breaks into a dead run for no apparent reason, you had better try

to keep up!

RULE #11: Gunner's Mates are very supportive of the self- help program.

RULE #12: Tuxedoes, Winter Service Dress Blues, suits and shined boots/ oxfords are not acceptable dress

for Gunner functions

RULE# 13: Unattended woman are always welcomed at Gunner's Mates social functions, do not expect them

to leave unaccompanied.

RULE # 14: If it don't go "BOOM" it's an FC problem. Meaning that they (Gunner's Mates) know their job and

equipment well enough to know that it will work the first time every time, unlike some other

people that do not know how to operate their equipment…

RULE #15 : Gunner's Mates are the most loyal war-fighters in the U.S military and they have been since the

Gunner's Mate rate was established in the United states Navy in 1797. Treat them fairly, treat

them well, and they'll kill for you over and over again, or in the rare case they'll even die for

you.

RULE# 16: The quickest way for someone to earn a Gunner's affection is through the gift of a good woman,

a cold beer, extra ammunition or a new gun…but not necessarily in that order. :)

Have a Happy Retirement Brother: For those who dont know Chief Gunner I have had the honor in partaking Alcohol, Trade weapons and ammo with Gunner and some poor bastard in Lakeside 7-11 parking lot found out the hardway about rule #7 Never surprise a Gunner and try to take his beer. :)

tlkings post about being busy til Christmas, got me wondering... What does he do? He's too big to be an elf, and I can't imagine him spraying perfume on women in Macy's...

Hondapilot- duh; pilot

fake name- real photographer

dirt dame- deliveries ( for now)

ozzy- surveyor

sdlineman- defensive end ( not really)

So- what do ya'll do, and how did you choose that line of work? How about your riding history while you're at it...

Or you can all ignore this thread, and focus on the Jerry Springer Show

Very cool topic.

OK, here goes.

Naval Officer. Aviation Maintenance. I used to be an enlisted Corpsman so I'm not totally useless.

Born, 1971 Umpumalanga South Africa. (true) Yes my picture shows me as caucasian, there are caucasian Africans, not many, but a couple of us.

1st bike 1986 Yamaha Seca 400.

Katana 750

GSXR 1100

Yamaha Virago 1100

Raptor 660

XR 400 (first dirt bike at age 33)

DRZ400S

Yamaha XT 225

Honda Valkyrie

KTM 625 SXC

DR 350

Wee strom

F800GS

I did not realize we had so many military ( or out of work/ underworked people) here... 3 in the video game biz surprised me too!

Another surprise is how many didn't ride till their adult years, and the number that were not allowed to ride til then.

I did not realize we had so many military ( or out of work/ underworked people) here... 3 in the video game biz surprised me too!

Another surprise is how many didn't ride till their adult years, and the number that were not allowed to ride til then.

So when are you going to get off your @ss and start writing the book?!

That's right, I'm BAAAaaack!!! You can make this chapter 111:

Started in my Junior year of High School sweeping a retail glass replacement shop. Now I am a principal in one of the larger contract glazing firms in the county (We build glass buildings).

Started riding when I was 10 (sneakin' up on 40 years ago) and spent nearly every weekend of my childhood at a place called Oak Springs Ranch, riding motorcycles.

When the family came along I got away from riding, but re-entered the sport about 10 years ago when I felt the boys were big enough not to hurt themselves. Too many bikes under the bridge between than and now to go back and put my finger on all of them...

Now I'm waiting for my 525/550 to get fixed. We were really close last Friday, but then the tranny locked in first gear and it was back to the bench.

Some of you know that I commandeered R-O Jr's 450SX to offer in partial trade for the doomed 525. Well, I rectified that situation over the weekend and he will find a perfectly used and plated 450EXC under the tree this year. Maybe he'll let me borrow it to come ride with y'alll sometime soon.

Great thread 'slutto!

I have an interesting and fun job. I am a teacher where I work in Cuyamaca State Park. I work there as a science teacher. "Outdoor Science" Naturalist etc. Otherwise known to most San Diegans as 6th grade camp. Cool Job! Outdoors most of the day, great benefits, decent teacher pay. I know the park well and the surrounding wilderness.

I have surfed and skateboarded most of my life with an interest in bmx, mnt biking, and motorbikes.

Descanso is my home in the hills, quiet and close to the good terrain. I love Old Hwy 80, the best Hwy in San Diego. Don't you agree?