So I attempted to ride up Teneja Truck Trail last Sunday from the De Luz Road/Fallbrook side. But I ended up turning back because I kept seeing all these No Trespassing and Private Property signs as if the road itself and not the land next to it is private property.

I always thought Teneja Truck Trail was a regular old public forest service road. So I called some ranger office for the Cleveland National Forest and spoke to a guy who said it is a public road that anyone can go on. He said he's gotten other complaints about the sign recently and he wanted my name "in case law enforcement wants to call me about it" at which point a bailed on the call more of less.

Any insight about this road for me? Anyone want to ride it in the near future?

I have ridden that road a few times in the past year. I have never had any problems with any of the locals and have always thought that the road was supposed to be public. I have ridden other roads that were supposed to be public that have had locked gates across them. Nothing you can do about that sort of thing.

I have ridden that road a few times in the past year. I have never had any problems with any of the locals and have always thought that the road was supposed to be public. I have ridden other roads that were supposed to be public that have had locked gates across them. Nothing you can do about that sort of thing.

Private individuals, "tree Huggers", etc ofter put up private property signs, illegal gates and fences. The do this to restrict travel. Once travel is restricted long enough, the trail/road grows over, they then remove the signs/fences as the trial is gone forever or it is less traveled. The correct thing is exactly what you did, call and check the validity. I have done this many times, and got access re-opened. Specifically Marroon Valley Road by Otay MTN. I am currently working on the illegal closure of the Sycamore Canyon area in Delzura. This is the problem with the policy of "It its not posted open, then its closed" campaign.

Interesting. Reminds me of "sexual abuse" situation in a way where it doesn't really matter if anything has happened because if you get accused its assumed guilty until proven innocent.

So I attempted to ride up Teneja Truck Trail last Sunday from the De Luz Road/Fallbrook side. ....a guy who said it is a public road that anyone can go on.

Jon,

I have been bypassing this road too. PM me next time you want to ride this road and we'll continue on to Margarita Rd, etc.

Steve

So I attempted to ride up Teneja Truck Trail last Sunday from the De Luz Road/Fallbrook side. But I ended up turning back because I kept seeing all these No Trespassing and Private Property signs as if the road itself and not the land next to it is private property.

I always thought Teneja Truck Trail was a regular old public forest service road. So I called some ranger office for the Cleveland National Forest and spoke to a guy who said it is a public road that anyone can go on. He said he's gotten other complaints about the sign recently and he wanted my name "in case law enforcement wants to call me about it" at which point a bailed on the call more of less.

Public Road far as I know. Those signs showed up a few months ago.

The land surrounding the road is for sale and the seller most likely doesn't want any prospective buyers to know they are on a through road.

The signs didn't look very official to me,

So I ignored them.

I have never had any problems. Some of the inhabitants actually wave at me when I ride by. I even took a wrong turn and ended up on somebody's property one time, but they were real friendly (Maybe lonesome :lol: ).

So I called some ranger office for the Cleveland National Forest and spoke to a guy who said it is a public road that anyone can go on. He said he's gotten other complaints about the sign recently and he wanted my name "in case law enforcement wants to call me about it" at which point a bailed on the call more of less.

People in the Sky Valley area by Palm Springs started doing the same thing. It got so bad that Riverside County put street signs up on the dirt roads to show they were public roads.

i see a "group outing" being possible here....

kind of a recon of the areas that are supposed to be open...

having run into the"gun club" on Marron Valley Rd. i was kinda bummed i wasn't allowed to go thru to a place that SHOULD be open....but after all they do have GUNS....and i was alone.... :lol:

even asked at the fire station where i could go, the main guy there(*captain?) said best option was to go out Marron Valley....was a nice ride i suppose...but would have been nicer to go thru to the other side....

rant off.

Blind :)

I too have been there 3 or 4 times with no trouble. About a year ago there was a fence at the very bottom, and iwas able to go through it, as I was coming down it had been run over by a truck that passed me by. Was just there about 2 months ago and it was wide open, I rode all the way to a locked gate near a fire dept. on camp pendleton. Let me know if anyone wants to meet up to ride it, I am in Fallbrook.

Jeff

Thread revival - looking for some North County info.

The base is having a "highly encouraged" (a.k.a. mandatory in military speak) Motorcycle Safety Day next week and part of that day is a poker run. Well, a couple adventure/dual-sport guys in my office and I aren't really interested in following cruisers all day long, so we are thinking about doing our own "poker run" involving some dirt exploring. We only have 4-5 hours to ride so we were thinking something close by.

I've ridden De Luz road (paved twisties - loads of fun) and also have ridden up Margarita Road (dirt) to the top from Clinton Keith/Tenaja Road. I'm wondering if we can link the two using Tenaja Truck Trail. SEE THIS LINKED GOOGLE MAPS ROUTE Is this the road you guys are talking about being signed as closed but not really being closed?

Because of the limited time, I'd rather not have to make the huge loop around to Clinton Keith - I'd also like to do a little more dirt if able.

Anybody know this area well???

Thanks!

I rode on Tenaja truck trail just last month. No problems.

A lot of times, the signs just mean that the land on both sides of the road is private property. If the road itself was private, most likely it would be gated off.

I rode on Tenaja truck trail just last month. No problems.

Thanks!!! We'll plan on heading up that way then!!!

If we have to go around, that just eats into our allotted time - plus that section of Tenaja looks pretty cool to go exploring!!!

A lot of times, the signs just mean that the land on both sides of the road is private property. If the road itself was private, most likely it would be gated off.

That's the way I always interpret it too if the road is listed on a map as "public". There are owners that will post signs as "private road" or "no through traffic" when they have no legal right to just because they don't want anyone going down "THEIR" road. There's one near my house that is that way. The homeowners association has been trying to get a gate installed for years, but it keeps getting denied by the county since it is a public road - yet the illegal "no through traffic" and "public road" signs are still there...

Sorry dude, my tax dollars pay for that road, I'm entitled to use it...

I live on a dirt road and there is at the most remote section at guy that has put up a gate decades ago. He has lost law suit after law suit but keeps locking it over and over and over. Once the sheriff opens it, it becomes magically locked months later. It has been locked for decades. It is part of the "Calif Hiking and Riding Trail" and it doesn't seem to matter to him. He seems to hate horses, bikes, people for some reason. He has no right to deny public access, but continues to do so. Volunteers have installed a horse gate next to it, but he locks that also. It is so little traveled, that people give up. It is clear he lives in a remote location for a strong reason.

Beezzz

I live on a dirt road and there is at the most remote section at guy that has put up a gate decades ago. He has lost law suit after law suit but keeps locking it over and over and over. Once the sheriff opens it, it becomes magically locked months later. It has been locked for decades. It is part of the "Calif Hiking and Riding Trail" and it doesn't seem to matter to him. He seems to hate horses, bikes, people for some reason. He has no right to deny public access, but continues to do so. Volunteers have installed a horse gate next to it, but he locks that also. It is so little traveled, that people give up. It is clear he lives in a remote location for a strong reason.

Beezzz

He should be treated as harshly by law enforcement as dirt bikes on public land are treated.

I rode through there yesterday afternoon and actually, the signs say "private road" and "no through traffic access", which of course there is.

Well, I rode up here this morning and saw all the signs. There were more here than a gated community. I passed the first dozen or so signs only to be met with more signs saying the same. I gave up. Didn't want to run into the guy who posted them alone. After reading all these responses, I may just go again tomorrow and keep going. :rolleyes: Had a nice time riding through DeLuz anyway. Never been there before. Wanted to stay west of the 15 today due to the heat... it was still hot.

I'm dying to know where this particular gate is.

Beezzz

I was riding up there a few years back and stopped under the one big shade tree I found for a break. Didn't even notice the trailer just off of the road with a guy standing near a chicken coop. "Whadya stop here for?".....blah, shade, blah, hot... "WHADYA STOP HEEEEEEEEER FUUUUUUR?"

He looked angry and was wearing tighty whiteys and that's all. We rode on.

Eddie... I'm always up to ride new trails. Let's go. I respect others rights but also I respect mine. Not looking for trouble just curious.

Bumping this old thread because I went up here yesterday morning with my buddy on his Harley. I left him at the junction of De Luz and Tenaja by the Durling nursery while I ran a couple miles in on my 990. There are signs for private property but to me they're no different than the signs on each side of the High Point Truck trail. Public in the middle, private off the road on each side. I saw one Exploder who waved as he went by. I really want to make a loop up to Margarita overlook, then circle back and north to Tenaja falls time-permitting. Could be a fun big-bike ride that's not too far from home. For me, anyway. :)