tntmo

Second Annual Noob Overnight Dual Sport Camping Trip: Nov 4-5

We did this last year, as seen here: 

I have been thinking about it, and want to put this on again.  I've been very busy with family visits, helping family and friends but I can make an overnight trip on Nov 4-5.  This was a pretty popular event, and I don't really want to change much if anything about it.  Nice simple route.  Campsite was good.  Food was available if we wanted to take advantage of it (sausages were popular!)  

People who have never camped off their bikes are welcome.  People who have camped around the world are welcome.  Spouses and friends are welcome.  Let's just all get together, hang out and have a good time together.  I don't know if we can recreate the fun of last year, but I'm hopeful.  

Post up some replies on here and let me know.  I'm pretty tied into the date due to so much going on, I never knew being retired was so much work.  

• Like 1

In.  And thanks Tom.  I hear you too on the retirement thing.  I'm less stressed, but have way more to do.

I'm looking forward to hanging with the group and also testing out a lighter camp kit.  Seems like by now I'd have it figured out, but I find smaller and lighter is a life long journey.

• Like 1

I will probably make it for the ride, pass on the camping part have enough experience doing that off the bike lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DSM8 said:

I will probably make it for the ride, pass on the camping part have enough experience doing that off the bike lol

That’s good too, join in for the ride.  Sunday can be more exploring too, going north from the camp site is some good stuff that can take you up to Idylwild, Thomas Mountain, etc.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tntmo said:

That’s good too, join in for the ride.  Sunday can be more exploring too, going north from the camp site is some good stuff that can take you up to Idylwild, Thomas Mountain, etc.

But with there be SAUSAGES

• Like 1

Oops.  Forgot about the pooch.  I say drive out, pitch a tent and bring a bottle with you.  8-)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zubb said:

Oops.  Forgot about the pooch.  I say drive out, pitch a tent and bring a bottle with you.  8-)

I drove out last year with firewood and it was a Great time with the group, even with  @tntbromo there :torch:

:drinks:

• Like 1

Maybe we'll drive the pickup out.

I can bring firewood, other stuff and coolers for people.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 10:24 AM, tntmo said:

I'm thinking of making this a 2-night campout with day 2 (Sun night ) in Idyllwild.  I love that area and haven't explored everything yet.  Marion mountain CG is awesome. 👍. Looking forward to this already!

To be clear the date is November 4-5?  The initial post is a bit misleading.  I almost showed up next weekend. 😜

Edited by Jlburgess
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jlburgess said:

I'm thinking of making this a 2-night campout with day 2 (Sun night ) in Idyllwild.  I love that area and haven't explored everything yet.  Marion mountain CG is awesome. 👍. Looking forward to this already!

To be clear the date is November 4-5?  The initial post is a bit misleading.  I almost showed up next weekend. 😜

Yes, November 4-5.  I will make a calendar post as well.  Next weekend is probably going to be nice but I will be traveling 

The date for the ride/event is in the thread title and in the body of the first post.  I linked last years ride as an example, guess that fooled a couple of you.  

I guess it's pretty easy to get confused, it's a common state I'm in.  😁

I am doing the Geico Rally, on the 4th we may be hitting the spots on Ocotillo.  If so, I’ll swing by

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pokey151 said:

I am doing the Geico Rally, on the 4th we may be hitting the spots on Ocotillo.  If so, I’ll swing by

Ahhh, I knew something else was going on!  Well, my weekend dates are pretty booked so it was this one or none.  I’m sure we’ll get a few people.  Have fun at the rally. 

What is the tempo of this ride, last year it was pretty much all pavement except for the last part I think going into the camp ground.
It is going to be the same this year or are you planning to put more dirt into the equation?

Maybe would be good to put up a GPX track of the route you planning, I can do that for you if it isnt your thing, just LMK.
I personally would like one to follow just for reference etc.

Same route, very Noob friendly.  I use map and compass, if anyone wants a GPX file I’m not the guy for that. 

I’m also not against anyone riding 500 miles of single track and then showing up at camp, doesn’t matter to me.  Just trying to get the band back together.

I can give a fairly recent report on the obvious loop around the Indian Flats (renamed) campground. The first part was narrow single-lane paved and/or groomed with scenery and zero traffic.

When I got there I found the campground was closed due to the Arroyo Toads again (it shows open now).

I continued to the northwest on the loop.  

That part is pretty easy dirt except for a couple ruts and a wee bit of sand. I was on a big bike so depends on your perspective.  Easily doable with friends for all.

Hope to see ya' all out there! 👍

• Like 1

It’s paved single lane to the campground. If you go north after camping it is rutty and rocky stage coach trail to a paved cross road. 
It’s very cool and kind of short. Everyone loves this little track for the scenery and fun factor. 
Dave, you can return back after the campground or venture north on dirt. For reference I take my level 1 class grads on that route so it’s not too rough. But you can turn around at any point. 
it’s a very cool track. I’ve never ridden dirt with you but assume you’ll be fine on street tires for the dirt portion. For noob riders I recommend 50/50 tires. 

stopped by Indian Flats Campground on October 7th and it was open. it was over full, not a single spot left and that was at 2:00 in the after noon. might want to have a backup plan?

• Like 1

I might take advantage of the help from the younger guys and ride along. Have to manage the food supplies for me.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Would love to join, but I'll be getting back into town the evening of the 5th.

Have fun guys!

• Like 1