Bagstr

Let Us Do a Radio Comm Thread

FY70DR-L.jpg

In the Spirit of holiday Giving, here is a quality radio that has the option of operating on the analog band and the digital band fairly seamlessly. Quality equipment. waterproof at a $125 price point when on sale. Listens to incoming and instantly transfers to FM or C4FM signal.

Also consider the Yaesu 270R analog 

https://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=87CE6C1FF54D5BBCA7F39179AB3B1511&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

https://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=7CDB93B02164B1FB036530FBD7D37F1A&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

Can this be used on the SDAR frequence? Is this still a HAM radio? what are the reach distance out in the hills, not on the flat? I got a Baofeng UV-5R, but have never used it on my SOLO rides.

YES. This is a HAM amateur radio,

https://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=7CDB93B02164B1FB036530FBD7D37F1A&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

108-580 Mhz.    The main reason I am " mobilizing " this radio is that I want to encourage broader use of the Digital radio. The unit utilizes an AMS circuit which automatically listens and switches between C4FM and FM modes; digital and analog. It is capable of hearing either mode and instantly switching output to that mode. My understanding is this: You are on 146.505 analog like we use all the time and someone broadcasts in digital 146.505. The radio hears digital and switches to that mode. Someone else broadcasts in analog; the radio switches back to that mode and you hear and transmit in that mode. There is a possible problem: You with your fancy AMS radio cannot switch back and forth without pushing a button which is in your backpack.  I am hoping there is some combination of PTT operation that can initiate the switch.  I need to contact Yaesu on this subject.

This is just a " fun " project for me. Digital sound is supposed to be much more clear and strong up to the point it drops from weak signal.  If there is no one broadcasting in digital, it will have no impact on our analog use with the group.

15 hours ago, Covered in Dust said:

That’s a dead frog that dared to try and cross his lawn.

You lawn aficionados, please notice the lack of doggie dead zones on the lawn.  At least until my daughter rolls into town. It really won't bother me.

👀

Successfully found a 3.5mm right angle adapter cable for the FT79 at PCI Racing.  Don't need to make one. 

Moderator, This probably should have been located in the Communication category. Please move if you agree.