tvscum

Hwy 94 to Tecate short cut?

Ive been under a rock last few months...literally and figuratively. I'd love to take the piggley out for a spin...after work this week? 1700 launch from Jamul?

19 hours ago, rojodogg said:

Road Construction is done in Tecate, central plaza is real nice. My experiance is BP are always nice but will point out that there is a lot of private land and BLM that they use,  none of it is theirs.  Tecate peak is tribal land if I remember correctly. Next time I am over there I will investigate the route.

I can't remember the ownership of tecate peak, but the road was graded this summer, and is an easy boring ride to the top. Killer views! 

24 minutes ago, Reximus said:

Ive been under a rock last few months...literally and figuratively. I'd love to take the piggley out for a spin...after work this week? 1700 launch from Jamul?

I'd like to, but my ribs are still kicking my ass.

Or chest. Might be a few weeks before I'm back on the bikes.

I did that route into Tecate and onto the border road years ago as part of my Beach to River route. I went through there with a group a few times and the last time met a lot of resistance with the local land owners. They claimed it was a private road and given that it isn't actually a "short cut", but does put your tires on dirt going to Tecate is the only benefit. I removed that section of dirt from my route.

On 5/7/2016 at 10:33 AM, paulmbowers said:

Yeah. Me too. 

image.jpeg

I know exactly where this section is. It's not even easy on a small bike. You probably know this NOW, but next time, stay north of the road in the open area to avoid this mess. And whoever led you through this mess needs to be slapped.

Paul, the 1st time we rode together, we met at Coors Amphitheater and rode east, all the way past Tecate, and subsequently up Fred Canyon. Do you remember? Is the western portion of that route no longer feasible? I've attached some reminders... LOL

train tracks.jpg

breakdown.jpg

4 minutes ago, Oracle said:

I know exactly where this section is. It's not even easy on a small bike. You probably know this NOW, but next time, stay north of the road in the open area to avoid this mess. And whoever led you through this mess needs to be slapped.

I will accept responsibility here- we all had a discussion, and I thought I knew what I was getting into. But my last trip through had only two big siltbeds. This is the second one, and I had only 20-30 feet to freedom. The rest of the road is pretty straight- still deep, but more manageable.

There is little solid ground anywhere- the railroad to the right (in this direction) and bushes/more sand to the left. It takes a VERY assertive throttle on the big bike. I was doing pretty well, but ---- happens, ya know. people fall off, and it was my time.

Could have been a lot worse. I had lost a LOT of speed before impact.

Ribs hurt. Sneezing sucks.

Gonna dance? The fiddler must be paid.

11 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Paul, the 1st time we rode together, we met at Coors Amphitheater and rode east, all the way past Tecate, and subsequently up Fred Canyon. Do you remember? Is the western portion of that route no longer feasible? I've attached some reminders... LOL

train tracks.jpg

breakdown.jpg

I remember the ride, of course. And how helpful I was in reparing your sidestand switch, as the photo will testify.

I don't recall the western route we took- did we parallel the border fence for a long period? The Monument 250 route?

Took that short cut to Tecate.  All is good.  You pass some houses.  No gates.  You could probably make it up to Tecate Peak too.  A BP agent on a quad rode by and said it okay to cut through there, but they prefer cyclists not riding on the road right along the border fence.  There is  a road through there that avoids the fence.

Image4_zps5zasv9vu.jpg

Oh, you seen on the map above where we had to turn around.  The dirt cut through is really washed out.  No motorcycle tracks through that area anymore.  If we had to walk our bikes down, we could have, but we didn't need to.

Here's our entire 133 mile loop.  Proctor Valley Rd, over Otay Mtn.  Border run to Campo.  Then up to I-8.

Image22_zpsv2ffuwlr.jpg

Excellent. Looks fun. 

Cool stuff need to get out there and try it out

Come to think of it, there was a gate as you ride through those houses but it was open (today anyway).

1 hour ago, tvscum said:

DAD368E5-410B-4D09-AC35-4E710DB0DE7C_zps8FE6ADF9-D8A3-44C8-9093-367CD8F9B993_zps

Looks like heaven is that the side trail you showed me once on way to Barrett 

Yes that's the side trail.  We had to turn around further down.  Not shown in the photos are a couple rutted washouts and a rock slide.  It's a lot steeper than it looks in those photos above.  Not saying it ain't do-able, just risky and a lot of (kick starting) work.

The blue is our track and you can see the leg where we turned around.  There's also a side spur that goes up to a peak:

Image66_zpsspzsyrwj.jpg

On May 16, 2016 at 7:22 PM, tvscum said:

DAD368E5-410B-4D09-AC35-4E710DB0DE7C_zps8FE6ADF9-D8A3-44C8-9093-367CD8F9B993_zps

I know that spot. It was tough A few years back. Very washed out with A BIG ditch near trail when I last went .

2 hours ago, CVRick said:

I know that spot. It was tough A few years back. Very washed out with A BIG ditch near trail when I last went .

Yeah, I know it. Rocky, rolly. Closed off at the bottom for at least a couple years.

On 5/8/2016 at 0:09 PM, Oracle said:

THAT route is a Head Shaker.  People think it is a direct route north or south. Much better alternatives regardless of the bike. "Happy" to see I am not the only one to get injured from time to time.  THAT CID, is the only guy I know that never gets a scratch!   <_<

11 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

THAT CID, is the only guy I know that never gets a scratch!   <_<

If you ain't fallin', you ain't tryin'. 

So, as it stands, no mythical tecate shortcut found... Yet?

8 minutes ago, Reximus said:

So, as it stands, no mythical tecate shortcut found... Yet?

It exists nowhere but on maps. Find that shortcut and you'll find the Holy Grail (and a unicorn).