DesmoStucky

Motorcycle Transport Van/Truck/Options

It is time for my wife and I to purchase a second vehicle. We have gotten by having a single car (Honda Element) for the past three years; she drives the car and I ride the VFR everywhere. However, a single car won't cut it anymore because she's due to have our first kid this April; and just as importantly it is tough to get out to the trails when I'm always trying to bum a ride with someone else :). I'm curious what everyone here is doing for motorcycle transportation that could double as a family car? I think my ideal vehicle would be a reliable used cargo van that is under $6k, with a second row of seats, and plenty of room in the back for two or three bikes. I'm really looking for that second row so we will have a five person capacity. I still plan on riding the street bike 90% of the time, so the van/truck/second vehicle would primarily be used as a motorcycle transport and whenever we have more people to move around than the Element can handle. A Sprinter van would be awesome, but they're so expensive!

Post up pictures of your rigs, with your pros and cons, or suggestions of vehicles you think would be a good solution. I've been looking at cargo vans, old school buses, mid and full size trucks, trailers, etc. I'm all over the map with my Craigslist searches and need some experienced input to help guide me!

When I can convince the wife to let me use the car, and thus strand her at home, this has been the solution:

WshbE2b.jpg

• I drive an F150 which seats 5... I think some seat 6... short bed, it's not too bad to park... Car comfort, truck capabilities... I drive one, therefore this is the only correct answer.

now... If I could find time to ride

I've had cars in my stable in addition to a truck but when pushes comes to shove......I've ditched the cars......I've ALWAYS had a truck.....

I've owned/transported 4 kids & bikes/gear in LONG BED Dodge Ram trucks exclusively since 1995......no cars with trailers or mini trucks.......no short bed pretenders........RAM TOUGH!!!

A45625E8-C394-4D21-8687-349BF3CA20CD_zps

Trailers seem like A hassle.Speed limit on freeway is 55 ? Trucks are great. Vans are more secure.

Either truck or joe hauler. I prefer a ext cab or quad cab truck

Trucks are by far the most common, but I figured more would jump on the van bandwagon due to it's security and low load height. I am going to shift some of my Craigslist browsing to full size, quad cab pickups to see if anything reliable is available in my price range. Thanks!

Since you only have 1 kid (on the way) so far, I'd look for a small truck.

Great question, I'm considering a Moto-van mainly for my flat track racing with multiday trips to Norcal. I currently use a Joe Hauler on my suburban or small blazer but hate the lack of security when at a motel parking lot.

A trailer is out of the question for me because of the stupid CA 55mph deal.

It would also solve the long distance dual sport situations that come up.

I would like to be able to sleep in it if needed as a back up.

The Sprinters are expensive and so is the maintenance.

I have thought about high roof camper van and gutting the back half for the bikes. But these vans are heavy and will suck more fuel.

The above link has some great mods and I'm watching the race forums for one already set up.

post-15687-0-83490300-1446734715_thumb.j

Thanks for asking Dodge Quad cab.

I try to hitch a ride whenever I can.

Then buy lunch.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/transitvanwagon/

I wonder at the maintenance cost of the new Ford. After my wife divorces me, I would make this my Daily Driver.

Afry's comments on security and sleep a bility are on point. I think they have a V-6 Turbo available. Might be able to keep CID in sight on the road.

Bags

I sold my truck in 2011 and upgraded to a van.

100_1242.jpg

It's not pretty, everyone makes jokes about it, but I wouldn't own a truck again. My ownership costs have been incredibly low on this now 20 year old van. Fuel economy on road trips is about 15mpg, but the 33 gallon tank gets me 450+ miles between fill ups. Not great economy, but comparable to what others get in their new trucks, some even tell me they get worse.

A hi-top extended van was what I was looking for so I could seperate bikes and sleeping area but this E150 gets the job done for much lower costs. And at my height, I doubt the "sleeping area" would've been enough space for me to sleep.

To keep you busy here's 2 articles from Road and Track magazine better articulating the choice of a van.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/features/a7481/charmed-life-of-the-van-dweller/

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a26951/ode-to-the-ford-econoline/

Very happy with my Tacoma with 6' bed. Can fit 2 bikes with tailgate up. That said, I do see the utility of a van if you're into overnight camping.

Ha, a bit more that $6k, but an interesting option. I'd like to spend around $6k, but do have a grand or so of flexibility.

So far this has been one of the more interesting prospects I've come across on Craigslist. Bonus points because it already has a second row bench.

Ha, a bit more that $6k, but an interesting option. I'd like to spend around $6k, but do have a grand or so of flexibility.

So far this has been one of the more interesting prospects I've come across on Craigslist. Bonus points because it already has a second row bench.

For what you are looking for that is a great option, and cheap. Second row seats with a steel separation in case of accidents, nice.

I'm going to check out the van I linked tomorrow. Seems promising, even with the high miles. Anyone have any experience with the E350 5.4l V8?

Go take a look but to me it seems priced too high for the mileage and damage. I'd keep looking.

The forward storage rack will have to come out to load a bike inside. No doubt, take a tape measure and check for yourself. You may be able to squeeze one bike in between to the two rear storage bins, might be tight.

Rip all the storage out and you have a fine transporter, IMO. Big points for having all service records and the Carfax to back them up. Yes you can buy one cheaper, or one with fewer miles, but having bought and sold lots of cars in my time I will pay more for a well-maintained higher mileage vehicle any day. Craigslist is filled with crap people are dumping after they drove it for 50k miles on the same oil. A fleet vehicle with records will be better than a vehicle with half the miles that was only serviced or maintained when a light turned on or it started making noise.

I'd show up with $3200 cash and drive it home.

EDIT: Come to think of it, if he has other vans, why not offer to let him keep the racks and storage units which are custom built for a few hundred dollars off the price?

That's a pretty solid endorsement bikeslut.

Good idea to use the racks for negotiation. I am going to tear them out either way. It might not work though, because when I spoke with him I think he said they are upgrading to ford transit and transit connects.

Reviewing the carfax looks like I'll need to do transmission fluid, possibly belts, and cam chain tensioner as preventative. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

You probably won't be riding much once Jr. comes along. Just my 2c, I am sure that wasn't what you wanted to hear though.