I might be able to go next weekend.It is A out and back trail. Only takes about an hour up and back.

I might be able to go next weekend.It is A out and back trail. Only takes about an hour up and back.

Early would be best.

where is pancake rock?

Cleveland National Forest

20601–20619 Lyons Valley Rd

Alpine, CA 91901

United States

I might try and go before next weekend? Looks like there are other trails up there? Wisecrver TT?

Here are couple of videos of pancake rock from YouTube. I can't find any from a motorcycle though. I went up a small portion of the trail a month or so ago, I decided it would be better if I went with someone else.

The TT is Carveacre, not Wisecarver.

https://youtu.be/IJp06bm6pTs

Darn, I rode it yesterday all the way to the closed gate on the other side. Nice trail! Sorry I'm out of town riding for the next 2 months.

I'm in. I've ridden twice past the entrance in last month and it has been closed. That was during week mid day don't know if that makes a difference.

I've seen the entrance closed before but saw people open it and drive though and close it behind them. I've been past it lots of times on the Strom though of exploring it but every time I'm over that way I'm on my way to something I need to get to. Maybe another free weekend in the near future :/

Yeah it was definitely locked I tried to open it both times. I've taken my te630 up there was going to do on my new 950se but that would be a work out. Bad thing about pancake is the holes are huge and on a big bike if you start to go theres about a 2 foot drop into the hole with no place to put your foot down. Dropped my 630 once was a bitch to get back up definitely a 2 person job if u get stuck in one of the holes.

Yeah it was definitely locked I tried to open it both times. I've taken my te630 up there was going to do on my new 950se but that would be a work out. Bad thing about pancake is the holes are huge and on a big bike if you start to go theres about a 2 foot drop into the hole with no place to put your foot down. Dropped my 630 once was a bitch to get back up definitely a 2 person job if u get stuck in one of the holes.

A while back when I went there it was really chewed up from all the jeeps. Would be tough on a big bike for sure.

No one has ever followed me to the top of this . ..

Love this trail especially at night.

This trail is a very nice get-away. Everyone should do it, and plan for a peaceful moment at the top. Early truly is best (but night can be fun too). When you reach the top, you can go down behind the rock to the west and take a trail south to a closed gate and then come back up to the rock and head north to another locked gate, and then return to the rock for the descent. The "T" out and backs add a bit of flavor to extend the joy of being up there and off the pavement. An extra bonus is that if you are at all a hiker, the peak to the west or the rock, about a 15 minute hike, has a very unique peak that is one of a kind in San Diego and if you can do it, you should. Drop behind pancake rock to the west, a nice parking area after the gnarly rocky section, and then hike up the east face of the peak until almost to the top, then walk around to the west side until you find a small chimney chute that will require some "batman and robin" techniques to get you through a cave like pile of boulders that will reward you with spectacular views, when you pop your head and body out the top.

I wouldn't take my vstrom up it, but I might if I had invested all the possible off-road add-ons, especially a skid plate, but my drz thinks it is disneyland. It is also a good route to mtn bike, if you start to open it up, please watch out for hikers, bikers, and jeeps. Here is peak:

post-15577-0-15476400-1436792450_thumb.j

This is a pic facing south east-ish, The ridges to the east across the valley are the west side of corral canyon (just out of this view in this pic is Corte Madera ridge, an excellent hike and the north boundary of corral canyon).

post-15577-0-83462700-1436792748_thumb.j

As passionate dual sporters, The route to pancake rock always help you evaluate your percentages of "off/on", or "on/off" road abilities when you take dehesa, japatul, lyons out there and lyons, honey springs back :) Enjoy the getaway. cheers.

Maybe I'll just take the Jeep out the first time and "scout" it for the big bike :)

I might try and go before next weekend? Looks like there are other trails up there? Wisecrver TT?

You might want to stay away from Wisecarver lots of private property up there

I look forward to seeing you out there...... :D

hike up the east face of the peak until almost to the top, then walk around to the west side until you find a small chimney chute that will require some "batman and robin" techniques to get you through a cave like pile of boulders that will reward you with spectacular views, when you pop your head and body out the top.

That's Lawson Peak ---

Great views like you said at the top - good climbing up there as well

I've been working on a few trails at the top - post up next time and I'll try and join you..

16020684215_4bf3606f3c_b.jpg

15833248808_6c3f05dd11_b.jpg

You might want to stay away from Wisecarver lots of private property up there

I look forward to seeing you out there...... :D

hike up the east face of the peak until almost to the top, then walk around to the west side until you find a small chimney chute that will require some "batman and robin" techniques to get you through a cave like pile of boulders that will reward you with spectacular views, when you pop your head and body out the top.

That's Lawson Peak ---

Great views like you said at the top - good climbing up there as well

I've been working on a few trails at the top - post up next time and I'll try and join you..

16020684215_4bf3606f3c_b.jpg

15833248808_6c3f05dd11_b.jpg

Now I really want to go back. Wish I knew some trails near the top to ride.

Great views up there, we got a KTM, ATK and Husky on top. Should have brought a few cold beverages, would be a good place to stop and enjoy it.

I've never been there....would luv to go and try it on the 950 sometime.

I have an unusual Thursday off this week. I'd love to ride up Carveacre to Pancake rock with you Thursday morning. I too live in Spring Valley. I'd ride my plated CRF230.

Dennis

To all who have replied, thanks for the interest in this ride. I unfortunately am not able to plan anything soon. I have some family issues going on, so if anyone wants to take the bull by the horns and schedule a ride I wouldn't mind ( well kind of ). If I can make it, great, if not, I'll try and schedule another one.

Enjoy,

wierdrider