jawhitmoyer

Gates locked for good south of Ramona's

There is a set of steel gates with a huge lookout tower in between, not too far south of Ramona's. I passed rancher, but he blocked the road to stop my brother. I quickly turned around to see what the problem was. He said he was permanently locking the gates, because riders have messed up his fences inside his 12,000 acres. This is a big loss and it's a quick way down south.

He said he would trade me a key for a roll of barbed wire, which is about $50. I am probably going to do it...imagine 12,000 acres to yourself.

Perhaps this rancher would like a group repair party to help him with re-fencing his 12,000 acres. Just a thought. It would make for good community goodwill. I'd be willing to put in some time.

Perhaps this rancher would like a group repair party to help him with re-fencing his 12,000 acres. Just a thought. It would make for good community goodwill. I'd be willing to put in some time.

+1 +cash

Anything to keep a route open. If he's talking to us, let's get to know him. It couldn't be to difficult to beef up a section of fence through a well traveled route, or help a guy fix a fence once in a while.

As long as he feels he's covered if something happens.

Asked if he wanted help installing the wire, but he said he has the workers and just needs the wire. Now that I see some interest, I'll call him next week to get some better details. Besides a key, he said he'd give a letter with his permission so people couldn't copy keys.

Stay tuned.

Probably has some type of illegal operation going on. I would not get into that-- lots of other routes . Was that on the track you got from me -just curious . We have been up on the tower.

Dunno if it was on your track, kkug. I first crossed through those gates on my way north with Pat760, when we were following some other guys. We rode through again southbound and kind of hit it by accident.

The guy definitely owns the land. We were on an offshoot that went down to his house. He has an office in Ensenada, and he gave me his business card, so seemed legit. That said, there are a ton of other routes that pass by the army tower, so this may not be a bad thing. I am going to stop by his office when I take my wife down to see her parents, and see if what he said was true. I'll post when I know more.

I will also try to figure out the coordinates...need to download my tracks and look for it. Stay tuned...

Sounds like you mad ea good contact. Hopefully he'll see were Dualsporters not off road racers/hooligans. I'd be happy to help in whatever capacity.

Yeah, I would take a roll of barbed wire down there for a key :)

ive broken a fence lately during a get off, and i want to help sew these others ..

i can throw in ten bucks for the roll if we are pitching in on it.

I'm guessing he means 1 roll = 1 key and letter

I finally made contact with the guy's secretary today, and I am going to his office tomorrow to try to make a deal. Agreed 1 roll = 1 key/letter, so that's the deal I am willing to make.

I would like to give him some idea of how many keys we might buy, so please let me know what you think. A roll is around $40.

Some have asked for GPS coordinates, but if you read my other posts you know I have no idea how to use my GPS. There is a 100 foot lookout tower manned by the army in the middle of his ranch. It's ~20 miles south of Laguna Hanson and west of the Compadre Trail. You would know the tower if you passed it.

I had an amazing meeting with the owner today at his shop in Ensenada. We discussed a number of things, including his willingness to set up some camping areas, let us cut trails around his ranch, make introductions to neighboring ranchers, etc. He hasn't put the new locks up, but he will trade a key/pass for a roll of wire.

I told him I would like to bring a couple of guys with me to have him show us his ranch, ideas for camping, and see what areas he would open would let us create single track loops.

I am thinking of doing this in a couple of weeks if anyone wants to join me. This is a unique opportunity to create a semi-private riding experience.

I had an amazing meeting with the owner today at his shop in Ensenada. We discussed a number of things, including his willingness to set up some camping areas, let us cut trails around his ranch, make introductions to neighboring ranchers, etc. He hasn't put the new locks up, but he will trade a key/pass for a roll of wire.

I told him I would like to bring a couple of guys with me to have him show us his ranch, ideas for camping, and see what areas he would open would let us create single track loops.

I am thinking of doing this in a couple of weeks if anyone wants to join me. This is a unique opportunity to create a semi-private riding experience.

Nice work Jim. Thanks for doing this. Please keep us posted on how it goes.

I went on a Racers and Ranchers ride a few years ago. They did the same types of things. I think they are pretty much defunct at this point. I could be wrong, but I have not seen any activity from them or their website.

This is a unique opportunity to create a semi-private riding experience.

Certainly sounds like it! Thanks for doing the legwork on this, Jim! I'm interested in more information about a follow-up trip, depending on high temps - if it's too hot to ride (comfortably). Please post an invite in this Baja section when details emerge... thanks

Id love to with you Jim.... exciting!!

I'm in as well but the 25th is a flat track race I won't miss so if possible any other time please.

Isn't this ranch east of Compadre?

I'm in. I'm gone most of August do I can't make it down to help. Hit me up before Aug. 6th or after the 20th for $. Thank you!