SofaKing

New Guy from Carlsbad

Longtime lurker here. First off- I dig the positive vibe and civility found on this forum.

I’m a newb to dual sporting but have had bikes in the past. My previous bike was a dl650 vstrom. It was my DD, commuter, weekend canyon carver and adv camper /tourer. On it I explored many local fire roads and camping destinations in So. California.

I now have a DR650 which I’m still getting to know. I look forward to learning more about DS, local DS riding spots, going on rides with this cool community and learning about the Dr650 and other DS bikes.

Cheers, Nick

Welcome!

And speaking of civility, don't ride like BikeSlut.

Hey, Nick, screw your DR650! KTM is where it's at!

Just kidding, man. Welcome aboard. Lots of good ride info and good peeps here.

Your most civil riding pal,

Dan

Welcome!

And speaking of civility, don't ride like BikeSlut.

uncivil... behave yourself... Welcome Nick!

a DR650 will ride about 90% of the rides on this forum. I wouldn't take a stock one on certain trails, otherwise it is great fun.

I've been meaning to plan an all day SD county mid_size dual sport ride. Keep watching "informal rides"

as for the civility- any "uncivil" behavior you see is probably good natured ribbing. Antagonists don't really blend with the overall vibe around here; thanks for noticing

Sofa king nice to have you on the forum. Welcome aboard. B)

Welcome. Just sold my DR650 and wish I didn't, but I still have a lot of specialty tools and know the bike pretty well. If you ever need to fix the little things (NSU, etc) just shoot me a PM and we can work thru the bike together. I also have an extra stock seat and header for free if ya want 'em.

I had a WeeStrom in the past and the DR will be more dirt worthy as I'm sure you've found out.

The DR650 seems to be a great compromise bike......which is exactly what a dual sport should be.

Welcome to the group, see you on the trail.

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody!

Dan Diego – I don’t own enough tools to get a KTM yet. I kid I kid. :) If I ever get another bike for Adv touring it will most likely be a KTM. To me the 950 and 990s seem pretty perfect in that category.

Trophy Hunter – Thanks for the offer. I have lots to pick your brain about . I purchased the bike with many mods but I need to dial it in for my weight. I’ll take your stock seat.

BS and tntmo- thanks that’s reassuring. I went with the Dr because I’m vertically challenged and I figured within my budget it was a good ride-it-there bike for SD county (freeway friendly) and it would also be a decent DS, grocery getter, commuter and adv camper. With some suspension upgrades I thought it would be fine for want I’d want to do off tarmac. I was also looking at the xr650l and looking real hard at the drz400. The need to ride freeways to get to riding spots was a big pushed for me to give the Dr a go. I’m pretty happy with it so far. It feels like a z50 compared to my old DL.

as for the civility- any "uncivil" behavior you see is probably good natured ribbing. Antagonists don't really blend with the overall vibe around here; thanks for noticing

Great.

Nobody takes me seriously.

Fine.

Nick- yeah...DR is a great choice for inseam challenged folks. It's feel too small for my legs. The DRZ or XRL would both feel really tall to you. Make sure you have a good bash plate (and whatever else trophy says to do), you'll have fun

Welcome Sofaking.

Bob, inseamed challenged is a two edged sword. When you saw my bikes you said they were too short. That is your problem, not the bikes' problem your legs are too long. So who really is "inseamed challenged". You or me? :crying_anim02:

Welcome Sofaking.

Bob, inseamed challenged is a two edged sword. When you saw my bikes you said they were too short. That is your problem, not the bikes' problem your legs are too long. So who really is "inseamed challenged". You or me? :crying_anim02:

AH!

THAT'S the spirit!

Welcome Sofaking.

AH!

THAT'S the spirit!

Hi Paul. Feels good to dump on Bikeslut again.

Feel alive again. :smile_anim:

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody!

Dan Diego – I don’t own enough tools to get a KTM yet. I kid I kid. :) If I ever get another bike for Adv touring it will most likely be a KTM. To me the 950 and 990s seem pretty perfect in that category.

Trophy Hunter – Thanks for the offer. I have lots to pick your brain about . I purchased the bike with many mods but I need to dial it in for my weight. I’ll take your stock seat.

BS and tntmo- thanks that’s reassuring. I went with the Dr because I’m vertically challenged and I figured within my budget it was a good ride-it-there bike for SD county (freeway friendly) and it would also be a decent DS, grocery getter, commuter and adv camper. With some suspension upgrades I thought it would be fine for want I’d want to do off tarmac. I was also looking at the xr650l and looking real hard at the drz400. The need to ride freeways to get to riding spots was a big pushed for me to give the Dr a go. I’m pretty happy with it so far. It feels like a z50 compared to my old DL.

Oh snap...nice come back for a noob.

Welcome to the board.

Welcome Sofaking.

AH!

THAT'S the spirit!

Hi Paul. Feels good to dump on Bikeslut again.

Feel alive again. :smile_anim:

And I enjoy the Schadenfreude.

Welcome aboard SofaKing. picked up my '14 DR650 exactly a year ago, 9000 miles later LOVE it!! Never ridden a motorized bike offroad before that, and love it. I'm over in vista and love to go to pine valley/kernan/coral canyon area and challange the DR and myself. I am the opposite of your height so if you see a big goofy guy ridding what looks like a 125 under him around town feel free to pull up and chat.

Bill

Welcome aboard. Have you seen the noobie ride on June 14th, sounds like a good one. Join us if you can?

So much for civility

I never claimed.

and leave Freud out of it

ps... I do know what sche... scheud.... whatever that word is... I know what it is... I have a picture of you somewhere, upside down on Ranger...

Welcome aboard SofaKing. picked up my '14 DR650 exactly a year ago, 9000 miles later LOVE it!! Never ridden a motorized bike offroad before that, and love it. I'm over in vista and love to go to pine valley/kernan/coral canyon area and challange the DR and myself. I am the opposite of your height so if you see a big goofy guy ridding what looks like a 125 under him around town feel free to pull up and chat.

Bill

Thanks Bill,

9k on your 2014.....NOW Dats what I'm talkin bout!

Will do. I'd also be totally down for checking out those spots in the future. If interested I'll be selling a Corbin seat in perfect shape. I'd like a lower one.

Welcome aboard. Have you seen the noobie ride on June 14th, sounds like a good one. Join us if you can?

yes. This ride looks great for me. I'll post on that thread soon.

As for the civility conversation.... I now see what happens when complements are thrown around here.... they are quickly followed-up with poo flinging... Awesome. I love this place! :thumbsup_anim:

Bill

Thanks Bill,

9k on your 2014.....NOW Dats what I'm talkin bout!

Will do. I'd also be totally down for checking out those spots in the future. If interested I'll be selling a Corbin seat in perfect shape. I'd like a lower one.

yes. This ride looks great for me. I'll post on that thread soon.

As for the civility conversation.... I now see what happens when complements are thrown around here.... they are quickly followed-up with poo flinging... Awesome. I love this place! :thumbsup_anim:

Be careful what you post. You will become a target. Silence is golden, at least easier on your ego.

That's just how Bikeslut and PMB make internet love.