EddieEarl

1 Day Suspension Tuning

I'm still pretty new to the site but I'm really enjoying you guys and if I'm posting in the wrong forum category I apologize.

I decided to post this little 1 Day Ride b/c I figure there were probably more guys out there just like me ... guys who have ridden for decades but never really taken the time to dial in their suspension. So let me just say this ... DO IT.

I sold my plated '02 CRF450R a few months ago and kicked down for a 2013 KTM 500EXC and I figured if there were every a time to finally dial in my suspension, then now was it.

First off - a big thanks to RJ & Kenton over @ All American in Ramona. They were a huge help in all of this. If you guys need or want help (and especially if you ride Orange) then go see RJ. He's the man. First thing he did was help set the correct ride & sag (pretty critical 1st step).

Out in the dez I started at -21 clicks back from full rebound damping on the rear shock and gradually increased rear damping. I ended up at -13 click back from full damping. The difference was ... well... unbelievable. I had no idea a bike could 'feel and do' what my bike now feels like and does.

In the vid you'll also see how moving the fork tubes out plush with the triple clamp helped to eliminate the head shake I got at higher speeds (the Scotts damper helps too). I realize I may sacrifice some short turning capability by doing this, but I'd rather deal with that then the head shake at higher speeds.

I'm embarrassed to say you'll also see what it sounds like to run out of fuel. Never fun, but believe you me I'm much more conscious of the fuel situation now ... I guess I was just so pumped at how my bike felt I didn't even think about fuel! Lesson learned.

Always learning ...

Good for you, I always recommend people head to their favorite riding area and spend a full day adjusting suspension. Now if you really want to see what your bike can do take your stuff to a reputable shop ( like race tech) and get it revalved to your weight and riding ability. You will be amazed, this is always the first mod any new bike of mine gets.

We will be testing with the 40 class Score champs on Saturday at Ocotillo. Right at the bottom of the hill at the whoop section on the frontage road.

Anyone needs dialing stop by and I will help you sort the suspension.

Most of you know Eddie is spot on but many do not know how big a difference it makes.

I have no idea what the hell I'm doing with suspension. I would like to have some assistance with it some day.

I'm glad to read that you took the time to do this. It always amazes me how many people buy a brand new bike and never touch the suspension settings.

Now, start messing with tire pressure the same way. Most people, at least IMO, run their tire pressure way too high. Small adjustments can make a big difference...especially in certain types of terrain...like sand, mud, and loose soil, etc.

Just make sure you know how to change a tube.

And BTW, why the heck didn't you switch over to reserve to make it back to your truck??

Agreed about the suspension making a huge difference...suspenders set up both my bikes and the better the start point (WR vs DRZ) the better the finished product (trash in, trash out)...minimum; springs...then the rest of what the top shops do. When I get a performance bike with good shocks, I'll sort out things better. (good offer George)

That was the first thing I did to my F800, New front and rear suspension. Once you dial in your suspension to you and your weight, you will see and feel a whole new ride on your bike.

My 2014 RMZ450 is like a different machine since George did his magic with it. Best money I've spent on it by far.

One of the first things I do with any new bike is set up the suspension. I have been going to Bob and Diane Bell at Precision Concepts in Riverside for the last ten years. They know how I like the valving to work for the type of riding that I do, and I can call to set up an appointment, take the components up, drop them off and head over to Bass Pro Shop. 3 hours later, my cell phone rings, the suspension is all ready, I swing by to pick up the components and head home in time to put everything back on the bike.

@ HotRod - good call. I've been told that will really, really help. The suspension on this 500 is light years ahead of what I've been riding for the last decade (plated '02 CRF450R), so after plushness I'm feeling now with the stock valving starts to fade I'll definitely consider doing what you mentioned.

@ Oracle - i forgot to mention i went from 18psi down to 14psi. RJ rec'd 18psi to preserve the rim & tube, but it was just way too stiff for me. His phenom racer, Kenton, actually runs @ 22psi out there. Crazy. I'd like to run even lower if I could but feel like i'd be risking a rim or a flat. And wait a minute ... I was told i didn't have a reserve on my 500EXC so i didn't even think of that. Do I??? I know i have a low fuel light indicator on the speedo (which was covered up by my bar pad which sits over my Scotts damper). Either way, the whole incident has made me much more fuel conscious so i'm setting my trip meter every time i ride and then intentionally looking at the fuel light indicator starting around mile 80. I need to triple check that I don't actually have a reserve. If I do, then I feel a bit like Sandler in The Wedding Singer ...

@ Suspenders - that is super cool of you to offer that out there. When you say Ocotillo are you referring to the state park off the 78, or the town off the 8?

@ Ken S - who is George? Still learning who is who :)

Bottom of the hill off highway 8. First exit when you hit the desert is Ocotillo.

We are likely to be setting up a rider at 221 land the weekend after but that has yet to be confirmed.

Only warning light. Fuel pump inside tank.

:eh: Yeah, I was just messing with you Troy... :heh:

Yeah, your pressure is way too high...again, IMO....others will disagree, and I get it...but...

I run 10 psi back and 12 psi front in ABDSP, Ocotillo Wells, etc...

Of course it increases your chance of pinch flats...handling is a higher priority to me though.

BTW.... George is Suspenders

I run 12lbs all the time dirt and 13lbs to 14lbs if on a really muddy track.

Was running 10 when we had a couple racers and got one pinch flat that year while close in points so went up to 12lbs.

Lot depends on sidewall stiffness as well.

Different story on the road though as that generates more heat I believe.

I'm going to air down to 12psi - that should help even more.

@ Oracle, I'm real big on traction as well, especially in the front ... i love the feel of tacky in the front. I don't mind steering with the rear, but I need my front to hook. I'm running the geomax 71's front & back so I've got a pretty good / stiff sidewall. I should be OK @ 12. I'd prefer 10 but 12 is probably the right balance.

It is a little known secret that I tend to get pinch flats...because of this I run 15 or 16 in the front...agreed that tire pressure affects traction a lot

I'm going to air down to 12psi - that should help even more.

@ Oracle, I'm real big on traction as well, especially in the front ... i love the feel of tacky in the front. I don't mind steering with the rear, but I need my front to hook. I'm running the geomax 71's front & back so I've got a pretty good / stiff sidewall. I should be OK @ 12. I'd prefer 10 but 12 is probably the right balance.

I run the 71's on my 525 at 10/12. I'm no delicate flower (240), and have not had a pinch flat yet. I really like that tire.

@ HotRod - good call. I've been told that will really, really help. The suspension on this 500 is light years ahead of what I've been riding for the last decade (plated '02 CRF450R), so after plushness I'm feeling now with the stock valving starts to fade I'll definitely consider doing what you mentioned.

@ Oracle - i forgot to mention i went from 18psi down to 14psi. RJ rec'd 18psi to preserve the rim & tube, but it was just way too stiff for me. His phenom racer, Kenton, actually runs @ 22psi out there. Crazy. I'd like to run even lower if I could but feel like i'd be risking a rim or a flat. And wait a minute ... I was told i didn't have a reserve on my 500EXC so i didn't even think of that. Do I??? I know i have a low fuel light indicator on the speedo (which was covered up by my bar pad which sits over my Scotts damper). Either way, the whole incident has made me much more fuel conscious so i'm setting my trip meter every time i ride and then intentionally looking at the fuel light indicator starting around mile 80. I need to triple check that I don't actually have a reserve. If I do, then I feel a bit like Sandler in The Wedding Singer ...

@ Suspenders - that is super cool of you to offer that out there. When you say Ocotillo are you referring to the state park off the 78, or the town off the 8?

@ Ken S - who is George? Still learning who is who :)

I was almost out of gas at 75 miles on my stock tank.Lots of hill climbing that day.