amgems

Check Out This DOT Tire

Motoz gets it. Even if this tire doesn't work it's clear they understand off road riders needs.

Very cool. Goofy and I were just discussing the drawbacks of the MT43 in regular riding yesterday.

That MotoZ looks good. $99 is on the higher end but those knobs look tall so maybe it will last a long time? I usually run 110s on the 250f but these look tempting (too bad I just ordered a new tire last night lol).

Kenda is getting in the mix as well with their Equilibrium K787 in early 2015

http://www.kendatire.com/en/motorcycle/mx-off-road/equilibrium/

787-web_Thumbnail.jpg

I'm interested in this one. Not listed as DOT, but pretty cool looking.

http://www.kendatire.com/en/motorcycle/mx-off-road/equilibrium/

Ha, we both posted about the Kenda at 12:19. I bet it will be DOT approved. I just bought a Kenda Washougal front, they don't officially market it as DOT but all reviews I've read online say it clearly has DOT written on the side.

Side lugs! This is what the MT43 has been missing imho and why I didn't feel comfortable on one. Now the big question, what psi will these tires perform at? Do you have to run them low like a MT43 or can you run them at a more traditional PSI like a knobbie?

Looks interesting. Might have to run that next fall at Bar10 and give it a try.

So far, so good, tire hooks up well, side knobs don't feel like you are going to fall off them, almost does not feel like a trials tire.

Only complaint, they really, and I mean REALLY do not like steep, loose downhills. Major pucker factor! If you ride in areas with DG and steep hills, this is not the tire for you...

I feel the same about the trials tire MT43...which is why I run an MT43 rear and a DOT knobby front

So far, so good, tire hooks up well, side knobs don't feel like you are going to fall off them, almost does not feel like a trials tire.

Only complaint, they really, and I mean REALLY do not like steep, loose downhills. Major pucker factor! If you ride in areas with DG and steep hills, this is not the tire for you...

The MT43 has the same issue. Would you say the the downhill issue with this tire is the same as the mt43? Worse? Not quite as bad?

You bought/installed the Motoz, right Drabnor? I'm really intrigued by the Kenda, and here's why...

Currently running an MT43 on my GasGas 2-stroke and still getting used to the ridiculous traction on gnarly steep climbs (even loose stuff!)... but total lack of reliable braking on steep loose descents and lack of side knobs on off-camber turns! I've been very impressed with the quality/construction of the Motoz tires that I've tried (Tractionator I/T front is the best front tire I've ever had), but Kenda claims to have braking "scoops" on their tire, and their tread appears to be spaced a little wider than the Motoz and MT43 variants, so one could assume it will brake significantly better and not skid/slide as easy on loose/steeps. I'll buy the Kenda as soon as it's available (someone let me know) and will post a product test report, too...

The MT43 has the same issue. Would you say the the downhill issue with this tire is the same as the mt43? Worse? Not quite as bad?

Yea mt43 has the exact same issue, I ran one on my CRF for a while. I would say they are almost exactly the same in this regard, except that the Motoz tire has the side lugs, which do help when it gets pitched sideways.

You really have to watch your speed when entering a downhill, carry too much speed into it, and you aren't stopping or even slowing down...

throwing another wrench into the toolbox. Golden Tyre 257 very trials like but with wide spacing, more like a "normal" tire. Getting great reviews. Zip Ty is supposed have these available.

http://www.goldentyre.com/en/dt_portfolio/gt-257-trial-hybrid/

"Don't let the knob spacing on the 257 fool you. Trials tires have thin/pliable carcasses enabling them to stretch around and grab surfaces. Something you won't get from a motocross tire. With the 257, you loose a little grip, but it won't clog up on you in the mud like a normal trials tire." ZipTy Racing Engineer

I put the MotoZ Mountain Hybrid on my 2013 Husky TE310R and rode it for the first time this weekend at Pine Valley. I like it! Huge knobs and a wide profile. The thing hooked up in all conditions (hard pack, loose rocks, solid rock and sand) and was like riding on rails. Ran it at 8 PSI and no problems. It has a fairly stiff side wall and a rim saver lip at the bead. I think it is the best of a full knobby and trials tire mixed together. My new favorite tire. :thumbsup_anim:

I've got a Moto z Hybrid on order. I've been running the MT43 for a long time. The big appeal to me on the Moto z tire is the tougher sidewall. It only happened once, but the MT43 got a puncture through the sidewall riding in some rocks.

http://www.joomag.com/magazine/trials-enduro-news-january-2015-vol-50-issue-1/0387040001418876804?short

Skip to page 22 for an article about the Kenda Equilibrium tire. Glad you're liking the Motoz, mctrails! I'll post up a product review for the Kenda as soon as I can get my hands on one... they were apparently shipped to distributors in January, but I can't find one online yet. Also read in another forum that this tire can't be used with a tube, only a BIB mousse (or tubeless presumably) - is that possible? I see a tubeless lifestyle in my future...