TheEssence

New dirt rider-South SD

Hey fellas,

Just picked up a DRZ400E over the weekend. Been riding street for about eleven years, but never really got into the dirt stuff much. I still own an '09 Triumph Street Triple R for the road, but traded my '01 GSX-R600 trackbike for an '01 DRZ400E + some cash on Friday. The DRZ has the SM front forks and triples, some sort of aftermarket gauge (still learning all that stuff), a "3x3" airbox mod (which I'm assuming is just a larger hole in the intake), a yoshi slip-on, is plated, and has 3500 miles on it. All my coworkers do a lot of dual sport riding, so they're feeding me a bunch of info to get the bike ready for some trips this fall. Basically, I got tired of packing up the trackbike on the trailer along with everything else to drive four hours to a racetrack and pay a bunch of money, so this was next on the list to keep me entertained. Look forward to getting around the forum, and hopefully see some of you all in the near future. Top one is the trackbike and DRZ at the trade, and bottom one is when I got home.

DRZTrade_zpsad0be6f4.jpegDRZTrailer_zpsb21ebe35.jpeg

Welcome to the site. There is a wealth of info on the DRZ's here, just not from me. Hope to meet you on a ride soon.

Covered in Dust

Welcome to the forum. I agree with you about track riding. Unless you are passionate about racing, you are just paying a lot of money to go around and around a tiny track, and the scenery isn't very nice at all. :coolio:

Welcome to the club

I'm in Jamul south/east SD feel free to reach out and get some riding in..

Some people think I talk funny, but I can't sing like PMB and don't ride like Bikeslut …..and the list goes on

- Welcome

Doesn't it feel great to Step out of line and head in a New direction?? New limits, new exploration.

Welcome to the party.

Welcome.

I don't think you will be sorry about getting into DS.

There is so much out there to see that pavement doesn't go, and not many vehicles can beat a Dual Sport in how quickly you can get there.

See you out there!

Thanks guys. I will be taking the four to six weeks to take the bike apart and do a full service, oil change, valve check/adjustment, coolant flush, fork oil change, carb clean, rejet the bike, etc etc.... Figure I will do all this stuff during the peak of summer and ensure the bike is totally ready for some trips in the fall.

The DRZ should be a good bike to get started into the dual sport obsession. If you get into track days on your dirt bike, it's much cheaper than street bike track days.

Welcome to the group, see you on the trail.

Welcome. What part of south county do you live?There is A few members that ride local south county areas pretty often.Rigger does talk funny.

Welcome to the board, and the addiction we call DS'ing

Welcome. What part of south county do you live?There is A few members that ride local south county areas pretty often.Rigger does talk funny.

I live in Spring Valley, right on the border of La Mesa where the 125 and 94 hit each other. I'll be looking to join some novice rides here soon as I get the bike on the road and do all the maintenance that I don't know if the previous owner did or not.

Plenty of us close to you so post up if you need a hand, or somebody to point and laugh. As mentioned, some good wrench knowledge on here. I've seen more of SD and other places I never knew about riding with this group.

Welcome aboard.

Plenty of us close to you so post up if you need a hand, or somebody to point and laugh. As mentioned, some good wrench knowledge on here. I've seen more of SD and other places I never knew about riding with this group.

Welcome aboard.

Hahahah. Working on it shouldn't be too bad. I've done all the work on my street bikes for the last several years, minus internal engine stuff. I'll be doing a valve check/adjustment (if needed) on this one which is really the only thing I haven't done myself. I'm fairly mechanically inclined though, so it shouldn't be too bad.

If you need anyone to drink your beer and laugh at you while you're doing maintenance, I'm the guy.

Welcome...and if you need someone to ride with to make you feel fast and skilled, I'm the gal! :crazy:

Welcome...and if you need someone to ride with to make you feel fast and skilled, I'm the gal! :crazy:

Hahahha. Sooo....I've never ridden dirt before....ever....minus the one time I went into a turn too fast at Chuckwalla raceway and hit the desert sand from turn 4 to turn 9....soooo, I'm thinking if YOU want someone to make you feel fast then let me know when the ride is! hahahaha.

Hahahha. Sooo....I've never ridden dirt before....ever....minus the one time I went into a turn too fast at Chuckwalla raceway and hit the desert sand from turn 4 to turn 9....soooo, I'm thinking if YOU want someone to make you feel fast then let me know when the ride is! hahahaha.

Oh no, you're not taking my "Super-Noob" title from me!! HAHA! We'll learn together-I'm not far from you in Lakeside.

I will offer you some unsolicited advice from a lesson I learned the hard way: DON'T SKIMP ON GEAR!!! Dirt hurts alot worse than sweating.....I am still paying the price for not having proper boots back in April-totally not worth the risk.

Oh no, you're not taking my "Super-Noob" title from me!! HAHA! We'll learn together-I'm not far from you in Lakeside.

I will offer you some unsolicited advice from a lesson I learned the hard way: DON'T SKIMP ON GEAR!!! Dirt hurts alot worse than sweating.....I am still paying the price for not having proper boots back in April-totally not worth the risk.

I already know this lesson, and thankfully I didn't have to learn the hard way. I get about 60% off on some fox gear, 45% off on Sidi boots, and 50% off on One industries gear too, so I should have some new stuff soon. I have ridden streetbikes for about ten years now, so I'm not new to the game, just to dirt riding. My lesson for wearing gear came from my friend, Brittany Morrow, and after I saw her site I have been a gear advocate ever since. If you all don't know her, she now is an Icon gear rep out here in San Diego, and her site is awesome. www.rockthegear.org . I don't work with her, so I'm not benefitting from anyone checking out her site, nor am I trolling for her. Just support what she's trying to do.