GY6.1911

Opinions on Rotella T 15-40 Oil

Just wondering yalls opinions on this oil for my 81 DR 500. Engine/clutch combination. Thanks all.

Just wondering yalls opinions on this oil for my 81 DR 500. Engine/clutch combination. Thanks all.

I use it in my F 800 GS. Wal Mart Gal Jugs :good:

Has anyone ever had a oil related falure in the last 25-30 years ?

I use it in my F 800 GS. Wal Mart Gal Jugs :good:/>

Has anyone ever had a oil related falure in the last 25-30 years ?

I've used it in my DR650 with no issues. Also bought the 10-30 version on accident last week and it works just as well in the bike.

The Rotella has quite a large following with the Husqvarna crowd as well.

Don't do it! Your motorcycle will rob a bank and then go on a shooting spree. Your house will burn to the ground and insurance won't cover it due to a technicality. Your bank accounts will be emptied and your identity will be stolen.

I run it in all my bikes and have for years. Only a few of those things have happened, you're probably safe.

Great stuff shell rotella. Used it in my big truck too. 14 gallons every oil change. But just as important to change the filter with the oil.

I use this oil in our Husky's, Honda, BMW, Yamaha, Suzuki's, Toyota's, Tahoe, Ford Diesel, Perkins Tractor. Years ago I de-cluttered my shop by getting rid of a bazillion other brand specific oils and carry just one instead with no problems. Just a thought.

I only use 100% pure Siberian Pine nut oil. It leaves a fresh pine scent in the forest and keeps the enviro-nazis happy.

pinenutoil.jpg

I use this oil in our Husky's, Honda, BMW, Yamaha, Suzuki's, Toyota's, Tahoe, Ford Diesel, Perkins Tractor. Years ago I de-cluttered my shop by getting rid of a bazillion other brand specific oils and carry just one instead with no problems. Just a thought.

HEY!

Great to see you posting...

I spoke to one of the lead engineers at Shell and a hot rod guy. He uses diesel oil in all his vehicles. They are in his words the best they make.

Synthetic oil will still work in extreme heat conditions but also does not absorb the heat.

So we went through $800 worth of stators one racing season due to heat.

KTM after several conversations finally faced up to the issue after pounding them and their support techs track side. As we snuck up on a solution one of the suggestions was non synthetic oil and indeed it helped lower temperatures. We change the oil after each race anyhow and eventually got a handle on the problem.

Rotella is what I use.

i'm currently running half rotella, half ATF fluid. seriously not a joke, its all i had laying around last oil change. shifts realllll nice. :coolio:

The first service on my YZ was with a high dollar Maxima synth and it made the clutch grabby and chattery. Since then, I switched to Rotella T and the clutch is buttery smooth again. It did take 3 services to flush out the suspect oil, but so far (~40 hours) pleased with the $20 jug of Shell. Whenever I'm in the auto parts stores or Wallyworld I check to see if it's on sale, which is often.

I've been using the 15-40 for the last 4500 miles in my DRZ. My shifting gets a little notchy after about 400 miles (depending on my dirt/street ratio) and I start hitting neutral a little more often. I change it every 500 miles.

Guest Crusty

I've been using the 15-40 for the last 4500 miles in my DRZ. My shifting gets a little notchy after about 400 miles (depending on my dirt/street ratio) and I start hitting neutral a little more often. I change it every 500 miles.

In my 2 strokes I mix it 50-50 with ATF fluid, learned this from Hooty at Mad racing in Vista,

I run the 50-50 in the tranny side of my CRF 450X.

In my 2 strokes I mix it 50-50 with ATF fluid, learned this from Hooty at Mad racing in Vista,

I run the 50-50 in the tranny side of my CRF 450X.

Hey Crusty, knowing how much of a Honda fan you are I'm surprised you don't run Pro Honda GN4. With 670 to 690 engine side and 580 to 610 tranny side I run GN4 on both sides. Reality is with basically 3/4 of a quart of oil on each side it should be changed quite frequently. I've run it on both side In five CRF450's and never had an engine or tranny issue. Great motor....yes. Great oil.....yes.

The theory on the tranny side is that you're not going to break down the additives in two or three long rides so the moly stuff isn't really needed. I had my first CRF rebuilt from valve wear but the cylinder and rings were Loking great after a year.

If the KLR was high revving race oriented I'd prolly use GN4 but the Rotella is prolly the best bet for it.

Anyways, I keep two Gallons of GN4 on hand and use the steel reusable filter. Ten minutes tops for each change every 3 long rides. Hth

Oh yeah, Ride Red!