I checked out the various tents on the mountain this weekend......looking to replace my ~20yr old Walmart special.....it's served me well but it's a cheapo.....not that easy to set up (poles are busted/bent), no "real" rainfly, no vestibules to stash gear outside of the tent....

The small/one person backpacking tents aren't going to cut it for me......I don't care that they weigh ~2lbs and pack small.....I want/need to be able to move around a bit.....I'd be claustrophobic in one of those and I'm carrying it on my bike not my back.....so, I'm looking at ~3 man/3 season tents that are easy/quick to set up, weigh <6lbs, have ~7.5' X ~6' floor space, and bundle up in the ~22" X ~8" range (I'll just tether bag/tent to my Giant Loop Coyote as I did this past weekend)

I'm leaning towards one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/851836/asolo-astro-3-tent-2012-overstock

http://www.rei.com/product/810115/rei-passage-2-tent

I like the dual doors/vestibule so I can stash gear outside one door under the vestibule and out of the tent/eyesight while entering through the other door with plenty of room for my big boy sleeping bag/body to stretch out......

Any other suggestions in the ~$150 or less range are welcome (I'm willing to quadruple my previous tent budget :dirol::lol: )

Also, a note to any others with the Coyote bags......the rear fender clips slide off easily if you don't install them FIRST then cinch the side pockets forward to essentially lock in the clips.....I had them slip off on the way up the mountain and rigged some straping rather than unloading/reclipping........non issue on the way home when cinched down properly.....

This Walrus Rapeede is what I use....their no longer in business, but MSR who bought them probably has similar models....it's a great one or two person motorcycle camping tent.

LINK HERE

The REI parking lot sale is next weekend I believe. Last year we bought about 8 tents there to use for backpacking. We picked out two that we liked and sold the rest to friends/family. Good deals!

The REI parking lot sale is next weekend I believe. Last year we bought about 8 tents there to use for backpacking. We picked out two that we liked and sold the rest to friends/family. Good deals!

+1

REI Member's Only Used Gear Sale

REI used gear sale April 27

Here is the A16 backpacker's swap meet - May 18

A16 Swap Meet on May 18th

I love my Black Diamond tent. Sets up in under 5 minutes and packs smaller than any other 2 person tent I've ever seen and it's a 4 season tent that doesn't require a rain fly.

P1020728_zpsd36cd2a9.jpg

CiD

I've bought the REI Half Dome 2 Plus a couple of years ago and love it. Kept me bone dry in an all night rain in Canada over a couple of nights. Big enough to have two vestibules, and my wife and I have used it with two of the Big Agnes Park bags (wide ones), and still had room for our shoes and boots. For a single person bike camping, it is nice to have a lot of room, yet it packs down to about the size of a soccer ball in a compression sack, including the fly. I caught it on sale for $160, but it normally is a little more

Dang it, I'm headed to the river this weekend......I'll probably pull the trigger on the Asolo Astro 3 tent in my first post.....it's marked down from $240 to $149 online via REI outlet......

I like the tent Jim posted but I'm unwilling to pay the extra ~$70....I don't need that much room (can't believe I'm typing that :blink: )

Dang it, I'm headed to the river this weekend......I'll probably pull the trigger on the Asolo Astro 3 tent in my first post.....it's marked down from $240 to $149 online via REI outlet......

I like the tent Jim posted but I'm unwilling to pay the extra ~$70....I don't need that much room (can't believe I'm typing that :blink:/> )

Dual doors/vestibules are really nice to have. You don't have to crawl over all your stuff to get outside!

btw, more money, but I really like my msr Hubba (and single door)

I'll probably pull the trigger on the Asolo Astro 3 tent in my first post.....it's marked down from $240 to $149 online via REI outlet......

Done.....plus: http://www.rei.com/p...-shot-press-mug

You're going to sleep inside a coffee maker?

I love my Black Diamond tent. Sets up in under 5 minutes and packs smaller than any other 2 person tent I've ever seen and it's a 4 season tent that doesn't require a rain fly.

P1020728_zpsd36cd2a9.jpg

CiD

How does it vent in hot weather without a fly??

I've bought the REI Half Dome 2 Plus a couple of years ago and love it. Kept me bone dry in an all night rain in Canada over a couple of nights. Big enough to have two vestibules, and my wife and I have used it with two of the Big Agnes Park bags (wide ones), and still had room for our shoes and boots. For a single person bike camping, it is nice to have a lot of room, yet it packs down to about the size of a soccer ball in a compression sack, including the fly. I caught it on sale for $160, but it normally is a little more

+1. Best tent for the money. My cousin works at REI in WA and said the Half Dome is the #1 tent by far. The plus just has a little extra room. Kept me dry while hiking Mt. Rainier, Yosemite, etc. Easy to set up and you can't beat the return policy at REI. We slept me, my wife, our Boxer and packs last year on a hike. Was a little tight with the dog, but not bad. Tent breathes good, which is important to me in a tent. Not fun waking up to moisture on the inside. Has extra feet room which is nice for gear. I got a discount from my cousin, but they go on sale from time to time. Even the regular half dome should be good for what you're describing.

CID

Your Black Diamond works without a separate rain fly I believe. thus saving the weight of the mesh 3 season style. How does that work in the warm season; does it vent at the top and bottom at the perimeter?? The packing spec is nice, if not sic.

B

P1020728_zpsd36cd2a9.jpg

CiD

" This Walrus Rapeede is what I use...."

Not touching that line. dirol.gif

CDy,

IMAG1711_zpsd6c3e320.jpg

Do you plan on putting that compressed bad in a Dry Bag?

CDy,

Do you plan on putting that compressed bag in a Dry Bag?

Yes, borrowed one from Hobiee to use this past weekend but didn't bother with it since it was evident we'd be rain free on the over-nighter.....

P1020728_zpsd36cd2a9.jpg

CiD

How does it vent in hot weather without a fly??

There are large mesh windows in the front and back that can be opened when it's hot. I've never used it in hot weather at night so I can't say if they

work as well as a completely open mesh top. Rigger has the same tent so maybe he can chime in on it's use in hotter weather.

CiD

I have a very small (probably 1 person) tent perfect for moto camping thats up for sale...dont think I ever used it

wanted to bring to Kugs S&T but couldn't make it

I will set it up, take a few pictures and throw a (cheap) price out there - might have to supply your own stakes..unsure.gif

Is it just like this one, without the fancy blue ground tarp?

post-399-055170300 1366677324_thumb.jpg

I picked up the Drifter 3 on Sale at REI. It isn't the cheapest or most expensive, but it's got room for me my stuff (and perhaps a guest), and it has kept me dry and warm.

I checked out the various tents on the mountain this weekend......looking to replace my ~20yr old Walmart special.....it's served me well but it's a cheapo.....not that easy to set up (poles are busted/bent), no "real" rainfly, no vestibules to stash gear outside of the tent....

The small/one person backpacking tents aren't going to cut it for me......I don't care that they weigh ~2lbs and pack small.....I want/need to be able to move around a bit.....I'd be claustrophobic in one of those and I'm carrying it on my bike not my back.....so, I'm looking at ~3 man/3 season tents that are easy/quick to set up, weigh <6lbs, have ~7.5' X ~6' floor space, and bundle up in the ~22" X ~8" range (I'll just tether bag/tent to my Giant Loop Coyote as I did this past weekend)

I'm leaning towards one of these:

http://www.rei.com/p...-2012-overstock

http://www.rei.com/p...-passage-2-tent

I like the dual doors/vestibule so I can stash gear outside one door under the vestibule and out of the tent/eyesight while entering through the other door with plenty of room for my big boy sleeping bag/body to stretch out......

Any other suggestions in the ~$150 or less range are welcome (I'm willing to quadruple my previous tent budget dirol.giflaugh.gif )

Also, a note to any others with the Coyote bags......the rear fender clips slide off easily if you don't install them FIRST then cinch the side pockets forward to essentially lock in the clips.....I had them slip off on the way up the mountain and rigged some straping rather than unloading/reclipping........non issue on the way home when cinched down properly.....

I picked up the Drifter 3 on Sale at REI. It isn't the cheapest or most expensive, but it's got room for me my stuff (and perhaps a guest), and it has kept me dry and warm.

Thanks, but that's out of "my" price range.....should have the tent I ordered in a few days: http://www.rei.com/product/851836/asolo-astro-3-tent-2012-overstock

Do most of you use ground covers to prevent floor punctures?

Most of the tents you buy from REI have a "footprint" available. I can't tell if that tent comes with one or if you have to order it separately, but they are nice to have since the footprint is sized the same as the tent.

Most of the tents you buy from REI have a "footprint" available. I can't tell if that tent comes with one or if you have to order it separately, but they are nice to have since the footprint is sized the same as the tent.

Yup. The footprint on my REI tent clips right to the bottom of my backpacking tent. I leave it attached even when its packed up. It's a no brainer. It doesn't seem much thicker than the actual tent fabric. A good debris sweep of the area before unrolling your tent should eliminate 75% of the probability of puncture. Well that and leaving sharp/heavy moto gear in the vestibule.

PS my footprint isn't waterproof. I've fully tested it while backpacking at Point Reyes National Seashore. I was caught hiking in a absolute downpour for hours and it lasted theough the night. Setting up camp in heavy rain sucks. If I was on a moto trip, I'd rather ride extra hours in the rain to find some shelter.

Thanks, but that's out of "my" price range.....should have the tent I ordered in a few days: http://www.rei.com/product/851836/asolo-astro-3-tent-2012-overstock

I suggest one and they're cheap. Most the pack tents, the floor is very thin. You want one specific for the tent if it doesn't come with one, or one that is smaller than the outer perimeter. This way if it rains it won't run down the side of the tent and pool under the tent. One time I thought it would be nice to have one a little larger to act like a door step. Bad idea!

I've been putting off overnighters in the middle of nowhere, because I didn't want to pack my three man tent on the DRZ.

in the past, I've brought large plastic bags and buried my gear so I wouldn't have to carry it all day then set up camp after I picked my gear up. Slight hassle.

But I just picked up this Eureka Solitaire on Craig's for $forty smacks. Its 2.8 pounds and water proof. Sets up in minutes, (post-15232-060636400 1367460626_thumb.jplike a couple). And it fits in my Camelback if need be.

But now it really doesn't make a difference on the KLR. So now I got to put it to use.

post-15232-057222400 1367460689_thumb.jp