FuzzyNugs

Roadside flats--what to do?

I'll put my story second. My main question is, how do I change a tube out by myself without a jackstand? In particular on the side of the road, but I'd also like to hear some trail tips. For spare tubes, heavy duty? one 21" tube, or the correct spare tubes front and rear? Anyone use one of those stick type jack stands to balance with the kickstand?

Now, what brings me to this inquisition..

Had a great night ride Saturday night and capped it off with a beer in Alpine with GoofyFooter. Hopped on I-8 to head home and not long after I started gettin the wibily-wobbolies on the bike. Pulled over and sure enough I've got my first flat tire ever, on the rear. It's 11:30PM and I'm a solid hour from home in the dark on the side of the interstate. Not fun, but don't panic I thought. Worst case I call a tow. Luckily, Tim came back and we managed to get the bike to his house. I still feel bad for ruining his night and what would turn out to be half of Sunday. Thanks Tim!

Pulled the wheel and tube out and Tim had a spare heavy duty 18", but my rim is only 17"...We crammed it in and started to work the bead back on, but that last 8" just wouldn't get over the lip. This was my 4th tire change in a week, so I ought to be good at it. Lot's of sweating, numerous explitives, and even a broken tire iron. The tip snapped in half, and I mangled another one. Maybe it just won't fit, let's try my spare 21" thin tube. Just my luck, it already has a hole in it. Might be wise to check your spare tubes if they've been bouncing around for 2 years. Out of options, I crashed on Tim's couch and try again with a fresh mind in the morning.

Went and got a correct size 17" tube from Cycle Gear and was just going to have them mount it, but apparently that takes 24hours. They had just opened with at least 5-6 people working. Can no one there change a tire?!! Back to Tim's, let's get this thing on so I can stop wasting his day. Fast forward the tube is on and ready to inflate, but what's that the tube is caught between the rim and tire. No prob, I'll just poke it back in with a tire iron(the mangled one). Like a hot knife in butter, there she goes. A new hole for my new tube. Frustration levels are nearing maximum. Last resort is to go back to square one and try the 18" HD tube. I got it in and in the process of spooning and unspooning all night, finally realized why it didn't go on the night before. It was seating on the bead as we put it on, therefore taking out the slack needed to stretch over that last bit. I kept the bead down off the rim with my knees and finally got it in. Aired up, back on, and made it home to Oside by 1PM from the day before's ride...

HD tubes only for me now with baby powder. Keep the bead off the rim when mounting, and prepare for the worst before it happens. If you have to muscle it on and you are sweating, reconsider your technique and think it through. Tire changes should be easy.

I carry a regular 21" tube as a spare. I've only had rear flats, it works to get you home. Heck, I've run an entire weekend one time with a 21" tube in the rear tire.

As for changing it on the trail or roadside you just have to problem solve. You can lay your bike on it's side, stack up rocks/wood, lean the bike against a tree or road sign, etc.

Good call on checking the tube if you've been carrying it for a long time. I haven't had a flat in a while, my spare tube is probably a few years old.

I feel your Pain in so many ways.

1. Flat 11:30 on hiway (great)

2. messing with wrong size (crap this is not working)

3. Come on 5 or 6 working (please do your Job)

4. A hole (you got to be kidding)

But you hit it right on, if it is not working there some wrong!!

Take a brake and check it out.

If you have a buddy, just tilt the bike up on its kickstand (for a front tire)

I've used: dug holes, logs, stacked rocks.

I usually carry two tubes, and duplicate inflation (two double pumps and CO2)

USUALLY if anybody has an issue near Alpine my number is in members only contacts- truck, trailer, ramp, tools, spares, etc

I ride by myself a lot.....I bought a portable bike stand (ADVBUM uses a sawed off crutch which is an excellent/cheap alternative), a Slime Compressor, a front tube, and some scab patches in case I catch another flat on the same ride and can't just replace it with a fresh tube......

I've only used the portable bike stand a couple of times......I usually just prop the bike up on something.....the compressor is money well spent.....I've run out of CO2 and/or busted pumps....front tubes will work in either tire as a bandaide....

I feel your pain. I have gotten to the point of being overly paranoid and over packed. I carry a spare 18 & 21, powdered and packed into individual zip locks and in the fender bag, patch kit, and the lazy mans, slime brand power inflator. Worked well last year when my buddy got a rear flat and pinched his spare tube during the trail change and used up his CO2's. The patch kit gave us another spare for the rest of the weekend. I thought about the trail stand, but usually opt for using trail debris (rocks, logs, etc) or just let the bike nap while I work the wheel.

Thanks for the replies guys. I know I'm not the first to be caught in this predicament. I'm gonna be planning a long distance summer tour soon, and want to make sure I am as self-sufficient as possible. I have one of those powered pumps, but don't carry it anymore. I'll consider it again with my pump as a backup.

I didn't even get to inflate the 21" tube, will it take enough pressure to seat the bead?? Should I swap out this 18" HD tube for a correct 17" or just run it? Riding Death Valley this weekend and want to be trouble free.

I like the crutch stand idea and vaguely remember pics of it. Does anyone manufacture something similar that works on lot's of bikes?

Riding Death Valley this weekend and want to be trouble free.

There's a reason it's named "Death" Valley......go online and order a Bridgestone ULTRA Heavy duty tube now.....it'll be here by Wed.......put your mind at ease......enjoy the ride.......

Something i learned a few years ago in baja,

Start with HD tubes.

Make sure your wheel are well prepped. No burs, good rim strip, rim lock tight and in good shape, tube valve straight and not screwed in place. Inspect your tubes for rub marks.

Carry two air sources. And 3 good irons.

Carry at least one 21 inch tube, two is better. Not hd tubes though. Preload the tubes with slime. Carry an extra valve stem core and core tool.

Carry 8 to 10 very large hd zip ties, the kind cops use for mass arrests. If all else fail zip tie the tire in place to the rim. the zip ties are over 1/4 wide and are extremely thick.

I nursed my ktm back to the pits after smoking three tubes once by zip tying the tire and riding almost 15 miles over rough ground. Just be carefull.

Just my 02cents. I hate tire changes.

Nickel/dime time savers.....order'em next time you place an order with Rocky Mtn......

I have Meyers Valve Stem Caps with a Core Remover on both tires on ALL my bikes/quads.....drop ~$4 and order 10 of'em....the plastic ones that come with some tubes are useless.....

Save your knuckles with a Tusk Valve Stem Puller.....I broke the first one I bought...not meant to be tugged on too hard.....work the stem into the general area and it'll pull it right through.....easy peasy..

Option - Keep that opposite bead tucked in with a Tusk Motorcycle Bead Tool......I have one of these but I rarely use it......

What they said.

I have one of those aluminum stick thingies bought off some guy in a dark Internet ally but haven't used it yet. I understand you need to zip tie or rubber band the front brake lever when working on the rear. Before this I always found a place to lean it or lay it down but don't cherish the thought of this when solo on the big bike.

I always carry F&R tubes, pump and irons - make sure you have the right tools to remove axle etc - the Husky has a big arse allen nobody ever has to remove the front and I think BMW 800 does too. I will also carry a patch kit on longer trips but I never have luck with patches.

A buddy went with me to Death Valley Daze last month. He borrowed my more recently acquired DR350 for most of the

event while I rode my KLR650 -- until we swapped bikes at Tea Kettle Junction. He only rode the KLR for a few miles

before the rear went flat... we joked that I did that on purpose. I was actually further ahead in the pack at the point

he got the flat, so it was maybe 15 minutes before I circled back to find him at the side of the road with one other

rider from our group.

The bulk of the tools were packed on the KLR. He had already found and used my Eagle Mike jack stand and had the wheel off

by the time I pulled up. First time it had been used on the trail. It worked really well and I was impressed he figured

out what it was and how to use it since he really had no idea what he was going to find in my tool pack. I had a the 21"

spare tube for the front which we used for the 17" rear -- that worked just fine too.

Nobody has mentioned lube.

Thats what the powder is for.

Or are you talking for the bead?

Every time I've done a tire I just lean over the tire and let the sweat dip lube it. :heh:

If you have a tow strap you can always lean your bike up on the side stand and tie the bike to any pole that's handy.

CiD

post-13540-039887600 1364250485_thumb.jp

True, I also carry a small ~4oz bottle of Windex......goggle lens.....tires.....

Also a rag to lay under the sprocket and/or rotor.....

True, I also carry a small ~4oz bottle of Windex......goggle lens.....tires.....

Also a rag to lay under the sprocket and/or rotor.....

Small tube of baby powder also works

Thats what the powder is for.

Powder is definitely not lube.

I believe lube is one of the most underestimated factors in a painless tire mount. Learned this when I was the 16 year-old master of Stadium Shell Service's Coats 20/20 tire mounting machine. Looked a lot like this one:

9727540_1.jpg?v=8CD0494C2EF1FB0

Learned this when I was the 16 year-old master of Stadium Shell Service's Coats 20/20 tire mounting machine. Looked a lot like this one:

9727540_1.jpg?v=8CD0494C2EF1FB0

Hey I have one of these in my shop now! - and I am sad to say I use it from time to time. I learned on the 1010 back in the day.

Hey I have one of these in my shop now! - and I am sad to say I use it from time to time. I learned on the 1010 back in the day.

Yeah- we were not allowed to use the tire machine unless were were fully checked out on it- took about 10 minutes. Split truck rims, too.dead.gif

It's a wonder I have all my digits and limbs. These things can be pretty nasty. If you didn't loosen the big cone before popping the tire on it's bead (typically with 60-80 psi it worked much faster that way) it could blow up on you pretty fast. If you had your fingers between the wheel and the bead breaker, you wouldn't have them any more- and it was easy to do- operated by foot pedal.

This thread is bad luck! I read it earlier and not an hour later I got my first flat on the road. Freakin' scary!!! I was going around a corner at about 30 when the rear popped off the bead :bigeyed::weird::dead: I do NOT want to experience that sensation again. It was complete loss of control. Somehow it didn't go down and I managed to get it straight, slow down, and limp it to a gas station to wait for a ride. The puncture was caused by a large nail or screw went right through the tire and tube and came back out, so it was just a large hole. It wasn't there when I checked this morning so I must have picked it up while riding. Stay safe everyone...

Simple! I can't believe more people don't know this!

Ride with Bikeslut or KLXBen, short of that call AAA.

Sorry I thought we needed some levity.

All the stuff mentioned is good. I like the small bottle of windex, rags, tubes, pump, spoons and STEM PULLER(if your doing tubes this is awesome). I do like my bike crutch. I also suggest getting some tyvek house wrap. I use the tyvek to use as a work surface to keep stuff clean. It is super durable, super light and folds up very small and flat for a large size sheet.

All good ideas between the valve stem puller, starting with HD tubes, zip ties for an emergency, air pumps. Tieing the front end to a tree is def outside of the box, but legit! I have the Tusk valve stem puller and I still pinch fingers, but it sure does help. I'll prob pick up a bead buddy. Never understood how it worked, but now I see it takes the place of the first tire iron to hold it down so you don't need 3 hands or end up with a tap in the crotch.

I have an HD tube in my spare wheel that I'll pull out. Also gonna make a pit stop at Chapparal on the way up to DV for extra tubes.

Anyone else use a "crutch" type stick before? Time to google this and do my own research.

Thanks for posting up guys, and Desertrunner, that is some definite bad luck. Glad the bike didn't go down. Did your rim get chewed up on the asphalt at all?

Luckily I dont have too many flats but I always carry everything to change a tube. I did pick up a nail on Pine Creek Rd. on a ride last summer.Used a stick to prop the bike up and did the repair. It really helps to do tire changes when you can. Hone up your skills a bit so it isnt that tough on the trail. I always use the tools in my pack also. Less stress the better.

post-13344-004530900 1364264570_thumb.jp

I also use a bead buddy and there awesome.