AATA

Scouting for trails in a B-17

Not really, but here's a few pictures from our flight in a B-17 this weekend. As you may have heard, they were offering rides out of Gillespie Field over the weekend, so we jumped on it. This is the B-17 that was in the movie the Memphis Belle. Once we were up, they let us walk around to the different areas like the nose gunner/bomb scope, bomb bay, radio, etc. Sitting in the nose was like flying through the sky in a glass bubble. Pretty cool! Such a raw machine. Engines roaring, smoke pouring out, plane shaking during take off, cables are all exposed so you can see them working, etc. They opened the top hatch, which is like a sunroof, so as we were flying we could stick your head out the top. Side gunner ports were also open.

Simply an unforgetable experience! Here's a couple pics just from my iphone.

Some of my family looking out the top hatch...

securedownload_zpsea855ed6.jpg

Side shot...

securedownload1_zpsc8a5db9c.jpg

Another one out the top.....

securedownload2_zps7afac5d5.jpg

In our seats during take off....

securedownload3_zpsb5c04782.jpg

Before the flight...

securedownload4_zps12f6c167.jpg

Cant get my video to work from my iphone?

That's just awesome!!!!

I saw it fly over several times (I live in Clairemont) over the past couple of weekends.... and wondered why it was up in the sky overhead. Sounded just like it does in the movies!! However, only one of them... rather then a full squadron.

this airplane JUST flew over my house right now in san carlos (cowles mountain) as I read this!!

Must have been something to fly inthere.

Amazing piece of history there and you got to ride in it; I'm jealous. Would have been a terrifying experience to see air combat in that beast and sobering to unleash payloads over European cities. Let's see that video!

Lets see if this video works? If it does, I have a few more short ones from different areas on the plane.

Speaking of history, they gave us a little before the flight. I forget the exact numbers, but they built over 12,000 B-17's for the war. Over 7,000 of them were shot down, so as a crew member, there was less than a 50/50 chance you would make it back. Considering those stats, 25 missions for the Memphis Belle is amazing. Some other interesting points they made. The B-17 can fly on 1 engine if needed. Originally each gunner only had 1 min. worth of ammo. 1 min. on a machine gun while being attacked. No thanks! As they came back, they asked for more, so they would send more planes with smaller/less bombs so they could carry more ammo. Temps were in the sub-zeros, so they had electric suits that they plugged in for heat, but they rarely worked. I can't imagine what it was like for those guys. Not sure who had it worse, the guys on the ground on the guys in the sky.

One other cool part of the flight was that one of the guys on our flight was a crew member on a B-17 in WWII. He wasn't small and could barely walk so along with a couple other guys, we literally lifted him on the plan. His family told us they couldn't afford to go, but it was his dream, so he went alone. My Dad and I helped him around a little, but he couldn't fit through a narrow area in the bomb section, so he stayed near the back. He barely said a word, but at the end, he had a smile and tears at the same time. I can't imagine what was going through his head!

Anyway, hope this video works....

th_IMG_0471_zps52f4fbea.jpg

Let me know if that works for you guys and I will add a couple more short videos. Thanks!

I think it was only for the weekend, but not 100% sure.

Here's one looking down the bomb sight in the nose. The pilot told me to take out Viejas, but we passed it before I could get my camera out. ;)

th_IMG_04623_zps6f103ffa.jpg

Video works when you click on it, but is not embedded. Thanks, looks like a great way to scout out some trails too.

Very nice! There is nothing like the sound of a B-17 flying overhead... but what a treat to

get to fly in one!

How cool is that. Can you do this ride through out the month?

I wondered too...

They must've been active today, as i heard them more then once!!

Amazing how brutally basic those things are. A long mission in one of those with limited warm gear must've worn a crew out.

Strega and I visited the Palm Springs Air Museum a few years back. I didn't know ahead of time they offered flights and didn't make reservations. I think I need to get back out there.

Ok how much? I would love to ride in that old rattle trap

How cool is that. Can you do this ride through out the month?

Very cool and thanks for taking the ride and helping to keep our aviation history airworthy and flying.

The "Memphis Belle" is operated by The Liberty Foundation and they do tour the US for air shows and just to give rides.

The Commemorative Air Force is currently running the Airpower History Tour and was at Brown Field from March 11-13. They are currently headed to Las Vegas. I had the pleasure of getting my house buzzed by FIFI, the only flying B-29 in the world, on a daily basis.

19659684_BG1.jpg

Ok...just went to the website... Ya, wont be riding in that beast anytime soon.

Very cool and thanks for taking the ride and helping to keep our aviation history airworthy and flying.

The "Memphis Belle" is operated by The Liberty Foundation and they do tour the US for air shows and just to give rides.

The Commemorative Air Force is currently running the Airpower History Tour and was at Brown Field from March 11-13. They are currently headed to Las Vegas. I had the pleasure of getting my house buzzed by FIFI, the only flying B-29 in the world, on a daily basis.

19659684_BG1.jpg

My Dad took my Grandpa in that B-29 for fathers day a few years back. He passed away shortly after. He flew them at the tail end of the war, so it was a real treat for him. He wore his flight jacket at all and was grinning ear to ear as he stepped off. Good memories.

Very Cool

"Legends over the CO." is taking place in Bullhead City next weekend......we may head out for that and first splash in the river during 2013.....

Ok how much? I would love to ride in that old rattle trap

If ya have to ask, anyways I got something for you and the kid.

[ I got something for you and the kid.

Ok cool, I will have to come by your house

Thanks