Bagstr

Tire Secrets Revealed

Three Tires, Three Bikes, Three Guys; What is revealed??

Bagstr, SicVic and Beta450

DSCN01881000w-L.jpg

DSCN01871000w-M.jpg

DSCN01891000w-L.jpg

Guest Crusty

I am switching back to knobbys.

The trails tire wasn't worth the trade off.

Knobbys do it all, last longer and work at the track.coolio.gif

Vic needs a new tire

Why???

This one is only at 50% wear....I gots another 6 months of heavy riding left on 'er!

Guy 1, let's call him Cookie Monster, tells us he has 50% tread remaining. And he is travelling out to the Ridgecrest Run this weekend. Plus he has trouble in the deep sand.

crazy.gif

DSCN01871000w-L.jpg

Guy 2, let's call him Burt, tells us he is about to replace his tire from wear. Looking closely at the knobs, they appear to wear evenly front and rear, drive and breaking sides.

dance2.gif

DSCN01881000w-L.jpg

Guy 3, let's call him Earnie, Strangely enough he appears to have more wear at the rear / braking side of the knobs. Mmmm, rear wheel steering?

shiftyeyes_anim.gif

DSCN01891000w-L.jpg

KTM 530 - Beta 450 - KTM 350

I am switching back to knobbys.

The trails tire wasn't worth the trade off.

Knobbys do it all, last longer and work at the track.coolio.gif

Crust,

This one works at the track... FLAT TRACK! "Ride the slide"!!!!!!!

Calling on Rob N. for some backup here!!!!!!

My tire is a factory race setup that you 'all know nothing about! Low knob profile reduces the rotational mass thus allowing me to explode out of corners all while keeping the engine reving in the band.

It's cool....I'm just ahead of the times. I call it trend setting....

(ya'all hate'n)

You guys should come out to the desert race this weekend with those tires.

RobN checking in per VicSic request

slide n glide, grab n go, bald and beautiful,

Sickness install a balloon 140/80-18 pirelli scorp pro fim with an hd tube (or mousse) and smile over all the nasty,sharp,rocky,sandy at 10psi or as low as 8 into single digits at your own risk. Use what you like for the front but keep em at or near 12psi.

If you guys really want to go really crazy install the GoldenTyre 140/80-18 FIM rear, it's the trial tire compound gummy that Graham Jarvis uses to win xtreme enduros (the terrain spec graph is inaccurate). They even call it the gummy tire. GT is available here now. I just want them to make a gummy in E1 bike size- 120/90-18

http://www.goldentyreusa.com/GT_216X__The_Gummy_Tyre_.html

This FIM enduro style pattern tire for E2-E3 size bikes will rock in the rocks (Moab for example)but its just too big for 250 4T and 200 and smaller 2Ts, good for 250cc 2T+ and 350 4T+ ie; all 3 of the bikes listed here.

PS and it has less rotating mass........

for less gyroscopic effect. Be aware that this less rotating mass will counter your attempts at full gyro whips coming off those desert badlands mud hills while free riding with your crusty demons of dirt crew while listening to hardcore punk music through your helmet headphones....

listening to hardcore punk music through your helmet headphones....

It's all about dubstep these days.

Wildly different profile. Should be interesting to see If this thing sticks on the rocky trash climb. Obviously better leaned over, which has been an Issue for me. dry.gif

DSCN01911000w-L.jpg

DSCN01931000w-L.jpg

Leaning over is a challenge on the trials tires, especially if you want to step out the back end

as for knobbies lasting longer than trials tires... not in my experience they dont

also- the softer carcass on the MT43 makes for a great trailside flat repair... slips right on, as opposed to some of the hard sidewall knobbies (D606 is a prime example)

Forget the tire fad of the day Dave. Just stick with a good DOT knobby. That tire looks a little too aggressive for dual sport. I have had pretty good luck with Kenda dual sports on my 84 XL350r for my weight.

My Analysis of your photos.

One tire was not only worn out but obviously overinflated for the riders weight. Too much wear in the center. (middle one)

One tire had extensive wear on the front side of the knobs, hence excessive spinning of the rear wheel. (last one)

One had about the right pressure for the rider's weight and was driven well. Wear was even on all edges. (First one)

as for knobbies lasting longer than trials tires... not in my experience they dont

+1

Just get a big KTM and you use all the tires you want and more :lol:

Guest Crusty

+1

The trials tire works better riding slowly.

After 3 rides I want it off my bike, so the knobby last much longer!!heh.gifheh.gif

I asked for knobbys for Valentines day..

I asked for knobbys for Valentines day..

+1

That comes with Steak Dinner right ? :whistle:

Guest Crusty

I am going with what works best at most local tracks!

The Bridgstone 403 and 404.

http://www.cycletrea...nt_and_m40.aspx

Bridgestone M403 Front and M404 Rear Dirt Tyres - Intermediate/Hard Terrain

21.3859.jpg

Bridgestone M403 front and M404 Rear Dirt tyres

Features:

• Turn in:- the front 403 provides advanced controllibility and contact feel when turning in to the apex.
  • Exiting the corner the rear M404 gives more grip and traction, with improved slide control when exiting the corner.
  • With the improved performance the M403/M404 allows riders to turn their bikes into corners with less effort and more control than less developed tyres and also allows riders to better utilize the power of their bikes to achieve maximum acceleration out of turns.
  • M403/M404 also provides more grip and contact feel at full lean.
  • The M403/M404 series operates over a wider range of terrain than the 401/402 series.
  • The 403/404's can be used on harder terrain as well as intermediate terrain.
  • See the terrain chart below - click on thumbnail picture

bridgestone-m403-and-m404-dirt-bike-tires-10.jpg

Wildly different profile. Should be interesting to see If this thing sticks on the rocky trash climb. Obviously better leaned over, which has been an Issue for me. dry.gif

DSCN01911000w-L.jpg

That trials tire still has ~1K miles left in it :rolleyes::coolio::D