TrophyHunter

Geigerrig Hydration / back packs - Sale at Costco

These guys are back at the mission valley Costco until 2/24. Was in there today drooling over the 700, just didn't like the color (NOTHING I HAVE IS BLUE!)

A good policy.

I just bought a 100oz geiggerig bladder from costco east san diego for 29.99999 to stuff in my 100oz camel back slot, i like that spitting cobra-like system. i think its a good system, find out next week or 2 moro for a test

Bought the 700 today at Costco in San Marcos. They have a full display with all of their models of backpacks. The 700 seemed like the

best size for my intended use. I'm thinking of having a Camelback burning next desert trip and then posting a video.

Covered in Dust

After thinking about it I might go back and pick up the 1600 also tomorrow.

Rode yesterday with my new 100oz Geigerrig bladder, after 1 day of use /test I returned to the Costco (so there is one at costco east san diego with my saliva on it!!)

Fail for me, big time disappointment on this one, I had super high expectations.

Pump it up 20 times (or something like that) ride for 15 mins get some squirts. pump it more while riding, get some squirts,, pump it again get some squirts........ so now I need to ride, grab my tube, and bite for a squirt.....but also need to use my left hand to keep the thing pressurized as it bleeds off all the air after 15 or so static no drink minutes.... I'll stick with my standard 100 oz camel bladder, and continue to SUCK!!!

PS I did think I could modify it by zip tying/ perma sealing all the hose barbs to prevent bleed off of air pressure unless the air bladder itself was bad... but thing was brand new and 30 bucks, I was not in the mood to rework the thing, plus to remove the bladder from the c-back you still need to take off the air bulb to get the hose through the slot in the c-back so perma seal was not an option for that line anyway.

Now I will use that 30 bucks for sucking beer out of a bottle and continue to suck my water from the c-back 100oz bladder.

I never planned on using the bladder that came with the pack. Just wanted a better made backpack.

CiD

This is my though exactly. I don't understand nor do I care about the pressurized reservoir. What's the real added value if you have to pump up the pack? I've never lost my breath trying to suck water out if my camelback.

However, my camelback pack is made of sundried banana leaves. I've had at least 3 that have just crumbled on me. The seams rip, the fabric tears, and the padding sucks. The geigerrig packs upon inspection seem particularly robust. They have an internal frame, raised pads that permit air flow, and combat-grade fabrics made to withstand the abuse of our sport.

In fact, the only thing keeping me from runnin out to Costco and picking one up (because I desperately need to replace my ailing camelback) is the pumped up reservoir that i just don't care to deal with.

In fact, the only thing keeping me from runnin out to Costco and picking one up (because I desperately need to replace my ailing camelback) is the pumped up reservoir that i just don't care to deal with.

X2 - looks like too much crap and adds weight - those things are hefty. I just put a generic bladder in the back pocket of my Fly jacket/vest and zip tie the hose to the shoulder zipper.

You don't have to use the pump. Just disconnect it and leave it home. The bladder itself is nice as it's easily cleanable. You can turn it inside out if you really want to get serious. The packs are very well made.

I went and picked up the 1600 today. This one is made of the "Ballistic Nylon" It looks muck more durable than the regular material. I asked the guy working the booth how long he would be there and he said thru Sunday. Then I asked if he was getting any of the 700 in the Ballistic Material. He said that he was getting a new shipment in on Thursday and would have them send some. So I will probably take back the 700 I bought yesterday and get the 700 Ballistic on Friday. I like a product that is going to hold up under off road conditions like Wolfman Gear, Giant Loop, Klim ect....

CiD

Thanks for the info! I was thinking about picking up a 700 but they didn't have the ballistic version there. Glad you asked about it because I notice they carried more thru their website than were available at the store. Looks like I may be picking one up Friday as well. Of course the wife would prefer the high viz citrus version, though I'm not sure that's gonna happen.

Of course the wife would prefer the high viz citrus version, though I'm not sure that's gonna happen.

Remind her your bike is hi-viz orange and has disturbingly bright, white handguards.

I might have to check these packs out tonight at Santee costco because I'm still using waterbottles! (Actually large nalgene jugs - I don't know what's better or worse!)

My North Face daypack has excellent hip support and is quite well made but is a bit large.

Went to the Carlsbad Costco today. I could not pass up the 1600. I also got the in line water filter. They will be there till Sunday.

I too use an OGIO vest, with stock 70oz. bladder.

BUT, for those wanting backpack storage, an Ogio vest will not suffice.

Or, for those wanting backpack storage... over the vest, it makes it VERY cumbersome.

I (also) don't strap any tools to my bike, they are ALL in my vest... as well as everything else, but the kitchen sink.

My pack, full of water is easily over 20lbs. Pretty heavy, but I'm used to it. Even my last ride... at 950+ dirt miles, it wasn't a back-breaker.

My two-way radio goes in the top right hide-a-way zipper pocket. With a burnt hole (via a solder iron) in the back for the antenna and helmet connector... and another down low for the ptt cord. Works like a charm, and has for years.

IMHO ... Those packs are great for a rider not using an Ogio Vest.

Almost makes me want to buy one, for the days we're NOT doing a destination ride... and only leaving the truck, to circle back miles later. However, I have a simple hydration pack for just that. No need to carry "backpack".

Are they still selling at the Costcos in SD?

Awhile back there was a discussion on cleaning your hydration bladder. I posted that I always rinse out the bladder then put in water and a little bleach.

Well I must have put in to much bleach the last time because when I went to get the bladder for this weekends ride the water/bleach had rotted out the bottom

of the bladder and leaked out onto a sleeping bag that was stored under it. Luckily it was just an old cheap synthetic bag and not one of my good down bags.

From now on I will still rinse out with water/bleach but will then rinse again with just water and then keep open to dry out. I know some just leave water in the

bladder but I always use some kind of flavor mix in my water and if left in it will grow some nice looking black stuff after s short period of time.

CiD

post-6274-052428900 1366668310_thumb.jpg

In 1979 our "Bladder" was a Viet Nam surplus Army Canteen. $2.00 at Army Surlplus stores. Worked great.

rt34.jpg

Nice one Paul. Do you own this decanter of the elixer of life? It would be really cool if you did?

I actually own my Viet Nam era water canteen. Prized possession with loads of memories. But it is not displayed on my fireplace mantel. I think it is somewhere in my attic.

Nice one Paul. Do you own this decanter of the elixer of life? It would be really cool if you did?

Nah.

I had a few from the fountain I helped discovered when I worked for Ponce de Leon.

Which explains my 13 year-old humor level. party.gif

The family went to Disney Land for a couple of days. Strapped the geigerrig to the double stroller. Filled the bladder with water and ice. Everyone loved the spray function.