Guest Crusty

The all new plated CRF from HONDA.

Why is this thing so HEAVY? The specs say it weighs 315 pounds. Isn't that almost what a XR650L weighs and more than a DRZ400S?

315 pounds does seem a bit excessive, but the KLX250 is almost 300 pounds, curb weight.

Found this caption on the pic in the article.

"The CRF250L will be available in Japan and Europe, but there is no date set for a release in America yet."

Guest Crusty

Why is this thing so HEAVY? The specs say it weighs 315 pounds. Isn't that almost what a XR650L weighs and more than a DRZ400S?

It's a Bullet Proof bike that is safe to ride on the street!

Looks like it has a really quiet pipe.

Built strong enough to carry a 2 people.

My 680L weighs more like 370.

The weight is down low, you don't really feel it.

I want the 700cc version,to replace my 680L( but it KICKS A$$ )so I am in no hurry.coolio.gif

Craig.

It's a Bullet Proof bike that is safe to ride on the street!

Looks like it has a really quiet pipe.

Built strong enough to carry a 2 people.

My 680L weighs more like 370.

The weight is down low, you don't really feel it.

I want the 700cc version,to replace my 680L( but it KICKS A$$ )so I am in no hurry.coolio.gif

Craig.

Agree with Craig.

Quality meralurgy, strength and reliability will have some mass.

It is a shame Honda waited so long to get back into the dualsport market. My XL's are all around 30 years old. Back then they were at the forefront of the dualsport category. Honda dropped its dualsport line to focus on racing and did quite well. But I have not bought a new Honda since 1987. They left old guys like me behind. I might take a good look at the new bikes but I am still happy with my 30 year old XL's. They would have to be significantly better than what I currently have for me to buy a new bike.

Growing up (not done obviously) I always considered myself a Honds guy- MR50, brother rode an Elsinore...neighbor called me names because he was a Harley guy....so I punched him in the face

But Honda always seems to be playing a waiting game these days...

The Yamaha WR250R does well, so Honda puts something out there to get some market share

Not something better...not lighter...not faster...just redder

Not something they COULD make...just "something"

I expect another disappointment, but wish them well.

At least the 650L was a "evolution" of a REAL bike, from a different era; we can excuse its porkiness and mild engine.

No excuse to have a 300 pound 250. NOW...if the bring it to the USA in a 350 or 400 format with the same weight, I could see it.

Soooo Honda needed more time to get the tranny right because they had never built one before??

Honda was king...now they aren't....they can be again...but not like this.

300 pounds is nothing compare that to a KLR and see what ya get.

300 pounds is nothing compare that to a KLR and see what ya get.

Very true- the KLR650 is absolutely a big girl

With the recent remodel of this model, they went the direction of middle-weight econo-adventure-commuter-tourer

The weight is justified- 650, liquid cooled adventure bike...

I agree with afry- Honda could and should do something more

I also agree with Don- those 80s XRs were great bikes for the time and still capable of a lot of serious riding (especially for shorter people)

I really do wish honda well with their DS bikes; choices are always good

meh I'll keep my CRF230L, air cooled, carb'd, six speed, and most importantly under 300 lbs...

And I'll keep my Husqvarna TE450....water cooled, handles good and also less than 300 pounds....probably a good twenty pounds less, with the tank topped off! :coolio:

Soooo Honda needed more time to get the tranny right because they had never built one before??

Well said. This new CRF just reminds me of why I pushed my Hondas out of the garage. I always got excited for the new product or model year launches and it was always such a blundering disappointment.

Zenosan is right, his bikes are the best dualsports Honda has ever made and they're 30 years old.

+1

Well said. This new CRF just reminds me of why I pushed my Hondas out of the garage. I always got excited for the new product or model year launches and it was always such a blundering disappointment.

Zenosan is right, his bikes are the best dualsports Honda has ever made and they're 30 years old.

Informed comments folks.

But I just would like to make it clear that I am not bashing Honda. I think it is a quality company. I am a Vintage Husky and Vintage Honda guy. I think Honda makes quality products. It doesn't make sense to criticise a bike designed for one purpose and a certain size rider and complain that it doesn't fit another rider and his purpose. If you want a bike to do certain things then buy a bike designed for that purpose and fits you and don't complain about bikes not designed for that purpose and not your size. It doesn't make sense to complain that a bike is too big, too heavy, too underpowered for your size and purpose. The raw fact is that people come in many diferent sizes and interests. It is not much different than bicycles. You buy a bike that fits your size and interests. The same works for motorcycles. My complaint was more of an expression of dissapointment that after such a sucessful product as their line of XL's they would drop it and just focus on the XR which was the race version of the XL. The XR has been a great success but when they focused on the race version I was getting too old to participate and wanted to stay with the venerable XL. They could have continued developing it but they didn't. My loss.

Here is hoping they get back into a model they were very good at making. Maybe they might even make one that fits me.

Same two brands I loved Don, and maybe that's why Honda's current offerings (and the timing of them) irks me

Let's face it; we'll always discuss the merits of makes and models; we'll always bench race; and some of us will wax nostalgic (even that phrase brings us back to a different time)

Ride on folks...

Same two brands I loved Don, and maybe that's why Honda's current offerings (and the timing of them) irks me

Let's face it; we'll always discuss the merits of makes and models; we'll always bench race; and some of us will wax nostalgic (even that phrase brings us back to a different time)

Ride on folks...

I see your point Bob.

The XL's came in a full range of sizes, 185, 250, 350 to 600 cc. I have one of each. I haven't seen this new entry but if they were serious they would introduce the full line of sizes.

Did I miss it? A Zenosan post without "160 pounds of pure wildcat" in it? Good points Don.

Informed comments folks.

But I just would like to make it clear that I am not bashing Honda. I think it is a quality company. I am a Vintage Husky and Vintage Honda guy. I think Honda makes quality products. It doesn't make sense to criticise a bike designed for one purpose and a certain size rider and complain that it doesn't fit another rider and his purpose. If you want a bike to do certain things then buy a bike designed for that purpose and fits you and don't complain about bikes not designed for that purpose and not your size. It doesn't make sense to complain that a bike is too big, too heavy, too underpowered for your size and purpose. The raw fact is that people come in many diferent sizes and interests. It is not much different than bicycles. You buy a bike that fits your size and interests. The same works for motorcycles. My complaint was more of an expression of dissapointment that after such a sucessful product as their line of XL's they would drop it and just focus on the XR which was the race version of the XL. The XR has been a great success but when they focused on the race version I was getting too old to participate and wanted to stay with the venerable XL. They could have continued developing it but they didn't. My loss.

Here is hoping they get back into a model they were very good at making. Maybe they might even make one that fits me.

Well said.

Zenosan- Wise he is...

Yoda1.jpg

The Yamaha WR250R does well, so Honda puts something out there to get some market share

No excuse to have a 300 pound 250. NOW...if the bring it to the USA in a 350 or 400 format with the same weight, I could see it.

All you Honda bashers just like to bust their balls. Check the specs on this new crf250l and compare it to the "Go anywhere" girls bike wr250r that so many of you rave about. Its better! Same weight, more HP, more torque, less compression so I would guess more reliable. Not just redder, but better. I could care less about brands, but get tired of the one sided arguements.

I will not be buying a new bike because Honda came out with something. I will stick with my CHEAP, OLD SCHOOL, OIL COOLED, BULLET PROOF design.

I love my HONDAS

My Honda CRF 450R

Glamis2012.jpg

My Honda Z 50 at the 2012 Dash

P1020010.jpg

My Honda ATC 70

TrackDay4-14-12002.jpg

CR500ANDCRF450R.jpg

And 1 of my Favs from I think the 2nd Desert Dash with Cody? On a street legal CRF 450R

Randy took this pic.

HondaCRF450R.jpg

Guest Crusty

All you Honda bashers just like to bust their balls. Check the specs on this new crf250l and compare it to the "Go anywhere" girls bike wr250r that so many of you rave about. Its better! Same weight, more HP, more torque, less compression so I would guess more reliable. Not just redder, but better. I could care less about brands, but get tired of the one sided arguements.

I will not be buying a new bike because Honda came out with something. I will stick with my CHEAP, OLD SCHOOL, OIL COOLED, BULLET PROOF design.

You forgot to mention it also gets really good gas millage!!!coolio.gif

The new bike features Honda’s standard Programmed Fuel Injection System (PGM-FI) which nets a claimed 100 mpg (albeit measured at a constant 38 mph on a level road). Given its two gallon tank, that’s an impressive 200-mile potential range.

I am waiting for the 600CC+ bike.

Check the specs on this new crf250l and compare it to the "Go anywhere" girls bike wr250r that so many of you rave about. Its better! Same weight, more HP, more torque, less compression so I would guess more reliable. Not just redder, but better. I could care less about brands, but get tired of the one sided arguements.

The WR250R is listed at 276lbs dry (still piggish for a 250)...horsepower is probably comparable.....I assume the Honda is a 6 speed like the Yamaha?.....the claimed fuel economy is BS. Yamaha lists the WR at 71mpg.....that's only going to happen if you ride it like a moped. Realistic mileage is about ~60-65 on pavement and ~50 off road when you're banging on the throttle (as you must on the little thumper.....)

I've been really happy with my WR250R.......BUT, it's dead at the moment.....I'm pretty dissappointed that it's "worn out" at ~13K miles. Needs a new top end. I'll probably put on the Athena 290 Kit.

I am thinking about buying this bike. Has anyone bought or ridden one? It is this or the WR, the Honda just seemed to fit better. I am open to any feedback. Thanks in advance.