Yenool

DS Bike choices

OK so I originally joined this forum a couple months back thinking I'd want to do light off-road work with a VStrom. Well that's not really in the cards any more. After spending the last couple months lurking on here and advRider I want something more dirt oriented. This will be first foray into any off pavement stuff. It looks like McCain Valley is a popular spot around here and there are some cool trails around the mountains as well. I don't want to have to trailer anything so given we live in this vast county highway capable is a must. I also want a low maintenance bike. It sounds like the more dirt focus you get the more heavy duty maint is required. I don't even want to think about replacing a top end at this point. Also, I want to stay in $3k range... I have an 03 SV650S I'll be selling to fund this new adventure.

My thoughts right now: I thought I wanted a DR650 (I'm only 5'10 so the lower seat height was appealing over the KLR but that's also a possibility). Can the big thumpers handle sand in the desert and tighter trails around McCain? A DRZ is sounding appealing lately or something similar, but I feel out of my element in this search and while there is a ton of info out there I'm not sure how to process it all sometimes. So I'm not limiting myself to those choices, but I'm not sure what else would fit my needs. If you guys are willing to throw in your $.02 I'd appreciate it.

We are so lucky to be motor cycle enthusiasts in San Diego... year round riding and amazing roads everywhere (street and dirt it seems)!

2004-2006 KTM EXC 525

Most of the time they have plates. I believe newer than 07 they come plated.

DRZ is sounding appealing lately or something similar, but I feel out of my element in roads everywhere (street and dirt it seems)!

I'm a big believer in the basic bikes for your first DS. (and no... I don't consider the strom a DS)

DRZ, XRL or DR. XRL or DRZ for more singletrack, DR for more freeway.

I think the DRZ is a great bike. Is GREAT at NOTHING and OK at everything. I will be riding my DRZ at McCain this Sunday, as well as shaking off cobwebs on the DR350, and maybe the 450 IF I can get in to the carb.

XRL is fine for most singletrack; it's girth is a handicap but it's grunt makes up for it, unless you are short... DRZ doesn't have quite the torque

DR is lower... seat and belly; so it's a double-edged sword that must be considered

XRL is better in the open dez than the DRZ or DR if you ask me

I love my KTM, but if I were in your situation, it'd be a DR650 or a DRZ.

Pretty much what Slut said, especially if you're looking in the $3K range. My vote is DR350 or DRZ400 or DR650 if you're going to be riding some pavement and riding to get to areas.

The bigger bikes like a DR650 or XR650L...they can do a lot more than most people think, it just depends on what the rider is capable of and wants to do on them. Same applies for big ADVbikes like 950's and 1200GS's....it depends on the rider.

Paul- why not an XRL? For Suzukis (which I think is a great choice) you have

DR350- old and questionable suspension when you start hammering them off road- 6 speeds and simplicity

DRZ- they upgraded the suspension, otherwise feels much the same. Little more HP little less torque according to my seat of the pants dynamometer

DR650- low- so singletrack rocks beat it up... very torquey engine; feels smaller than the other two but is wider

XRL- tall and heavy if you are not on the large side of the human species

Holy cow, you guys are amazing. I never expected so many replies so quickly - what's it been 1 or 2 hours?

OK so it sounds like I'm heading in the right direction - and I might add the XLR into the mix although I'm on the wrong side of 6'. I think the KTM is going to be too pricey. I'm actually shocked to see that a lot of these dual sports (given their respective technology) are going for equal to or more than what I expect to get from my SV. I'll price them out on CL while I look to sell my bike. Thanks again!

-Matt

I'm 5'10" and the Honda is a bit tall for me. Sounds like you would really like the DR650 but do not lower it and put a good bash plate on it. For freeway also it's by far the best choice IMHO.

I had a smiliar discussion with some of my dual sport friends before making my choice.

Who doesn't love the KTMs, but I didn't have the bank to get one. More on that later.

I was looking at the DR650 and the DRZ400.

Most of the time I'm riding to where I'm going to ride, but I was also aware that I would probably be picking the damn thing up pretty regularly. I came across a pristine DRZ-S and wad the money in my pocket. Sold.

The bike had 1100 miles and had never been in the dirt. Of course, that meant that I had to buy all the crap to make it dirt worthy. TIRES, larger tank, handguards, good skid plate, tail light assy, radiator guards, case covers, ad nauseum. The list of "suggested" mods is available on ThumperTalk.

Turns out there was a 625 LC4 that was available at the same time for about $1000 more. Woulda/shoulda/coulda

I'm glad I got the drz as a starter. It's reliable. It has taken some hits, and keeps going [knock on wood]. I ride it like my ass is on fire on the street. It's heavy. It's slow. It's got crappy brakes. It's heavy.

It has been the perfect dirt riding starter bike.

I can't wait until I am able to upgrade.

DRZ 400

Pros: Very capable off-road, light weight

Cons: Limited highway use, small stock fuel tank, somewhat undersprung

Dry weight: 291 lbs.

Suspension travel (F/R): 11.6" / 11.6"

Fuel capacity: 2.6 gallons

DR650

Pros: Good mix of dirt/street performance, reliability

Cons: Uncomfortable seat on long rides, small stock fuel tank, soft suspension

Dry weight: 324 lbs.

Suspension travel (F/R): 10.2" / 10.2"

Fuel capacity: 3.4 gallons

KTM 640 ADV

Pros: High quality components, great suspension, complete overall package

Cons: Vibration on the highway

Dry weight: 348 lbs.

Suspension travel (F/R): 10.8" / 11.8"

Fuel capacity: 6.7 gallons

All the comments above are valid given their asumptions. The fact is there is no one size fits all, nor one bike does all. Be honest about yourself (size, skill level etc..) and what you want to do with the bike. Buy a bike that fits you and your needs. I am 5'7" and 160lbs of pure wildcat so I go with Vintage Honda XL's (250 & 350). They have low seat heights, plenty of range, power and reliability. They are not race bikes. If I wanted to race off road I would bring out my Vintage Huskys. The XR650l is too big for me, in height and weight. So is the KLR, I had one. Go on a few rides and try out other riders bikes. Most will be glad to show off their pride and joy. Be patient and honest with yourself.

Guest Crusty

If I could only have 1 bike and didn't want to trailer my bike, I would only have a XR650L

With a few mods and the right rider the bike ROCKS!!!!!!!

Best all around bike I have ever ridden

From Baja to Big Bear to Heart Attack Hill to Amago!!!!!!!

Ensenada003.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

Amago2079.jpg

DRZ 400

Pros: Very capable off-road, light weight wink.gif

Cons: Limited highway use, small stock fuel tank, somewhat undersprung

Dry weight: 291 lbs. heh.gif

291? Not on it's best day with all the unnecessary crap stripped off!

That's too bad. There are plenty of other options in the 3k area, of course you'll have to negotiate a bit, but I'm sure plenty of these guys will work with you.

best option:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/2947190251.html

others:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/2954464375.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/2949695328.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/2949291244.html

this one even comes with a trailer:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/2945428909.html

Here's a WR, not sure they've even been mentioned yet:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/2920039461.html

if you can't tell, i'm in corporations and I can't stand my professor.

I have a DR650 and actually had it out at Ocotillo Wells at Poleline Rd over the weekend. It did pretty well in the sand, even for having a Kenda rear tire that is more street biased. I rode it all the way out there to. I only dumped it one time in the sand because I was going too slow. I ride my DR daily and have a big tank. I'm 5'10 and I definitely prefer it to the XR650 I tried out. On the XR I was could barely the ground and it had a lowering link. I can almost flatfoot on my DR at a stop. I haven't dragged the belly on anything yet either. Just some food for thought.

You should take advantage of the good folks here at SDAR. A lot of people have more than one dual sport bike and are willing to loan them out. I have two DR350's, a WR400, a KTM 520...all up for you to try out if you'd like.

You should take advantage of the good folks here at SDAR. A lot of people have more than one dual sport bike and are willing to loan them out. I have two DR350's, a WR400, a KTM 520...all up for you to try out if you'd like.

That is so cool of you!

That's very generous of you. Thanks. I have to go up to LA this weekend, but maybe next week.

You may also want to search for plated Yamaha WR400 or WR426 bikes out there. I've had both, great dirtbikes, I rode the heck out of em. Every bit as bombproof as the DRZ but lighter. Downside, they both are kick starters with manual compression release. You have to learn the starting dance.

You may also want to search for plated Yamaha WR400 or WR426 bikes out there. I've had both, great dirtbikes, I rode the heck out of em. Every bit as bombproof as the DRZ but lighter. Downside, they both are kick starters with manual compression release. You have to learn the starting dance.

I installed a WR450 cam in my WR400, it has automatic compression release so that problem was taken care of (even though the manual lever wasn't too big of a deal). I also put in a Rekluse clutch to prevent all the stalls due to my poor riding skills, not as good as E-start but helps out on those nasty uphill stalls.

I'm surprised at how much people are still asking for the WR400/426 bikes. I love mine, but didn't figure it was worth too much.

I just went through this with my Uncle and Cousin that are buying thier first DS bikes. I recommended the XR650 and DRZ. My uncle bought a DRZ400 and loves it. Said it's the perfect bike for him and his criteria were very similar to yours. Like someone else mentioned, does everything, but nothing great. Good luck!

Great thread here for some help with noobs like myself...I didn't want to start a new thread on the topic. Any suggestions for 5'6" at 150lb...I rode a xr650 in my hometown back east a year ago, can do but rather large for me. I am also thinking along the lines of a 350, 400 or 450 I feel would suit me best. Would like to be able to ride to my destinations so I feel a 250 would be to small for the roads although great for trails and my size.

Hope you don't mind me asking on this thread yenoo.

Great thread here for some help with noobs like myself...I didn't want to start a new thread on the topic. Any suggestions for 5'6" at 150lb...I rode a xr650 in my hometown back east a year ago, can do but rather large for me. I am also thinking along the lines of a 350, 400 or 450 I feel would suit me best. Would like to be able to ride to my destinations so I feel a 250 would be to small for the roads although great for trails and my size.

Hope you don't mind me asking on this thread yenoo.

the wr250r is probably at least the equal of the DRZ for freeway miles

do not let the engine size/height be your metric- the DR650 is heavy and has a big engine, but is low to the ground, and probably better for newer/shorter riders

the XRL may be the same height as the DRZ but feels taller (maybe it is wider?) and I HEAR the WRR is about the same height but feels smaller (due to being more narrow and less engine mass/reciprocating mass... or something like that... where all the smart people when you need them... crickets...)

I will say the same as others have said; join a ride and see if you can bum a quick ride on somebody's bike... it will let you get a feel for what I'm talking about