Sign in to follow this  
bboyle9

Tool Tube

I was looking on Procyle and saw this nifty tool tube, thought about buying one and then saw that its 50 bucks and realized i could make one for way cheaper. I went to Home Depot bought the PVC stuff i need but was wondering what i should make the brackets out of, and where i could get some aluminum or steel stock of a similar thickness and malleability.

heres a picture for reference

tooltube.jpg

thanks for the help!

Those clamps look like the ones they use when building a fence, to go around a wooden pole. Check Home Cheap-o fence department, maybe find something that works. Otherwise, just make them out of metal strapping. Cut to length, bend around PVC, hammer and vice to bend and drill a hole.

Search ebay. Lots of them. Built better than the one you will build. The cap on the one you will build is a large rubber stopper. It is heavy and takes up valuable space from in the tube. I also would not count on it not comming out while off road. A screw cap would be better.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Tool-Tube-bmw-f800-suzuki-v-strom-dr650-kawasaki-klr650-ktm-990-r1200-/170795109853?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c42e8ddd&vxp=mtr

I was looking on Procyle and saw this nifty tool tube, thought about buying one and then saw that its 50 bucks and realized i could make one for way cheaper. I went to Home Depot bought the PVC stuff i need but was wondering what i should make the brackets out of, and where i could get some aluminum or steel stock of a similar thickness and malleability.

heres a picture for reference

tooltube.jpg

thanks for the help!

Assuming you're using 2" ABS/PVC, you can get "single hole wrap around strap" from most of the local jobsite fastener/hardware vendors OR order from Grainger.

Take a few minutes and search over at Thumpertalk and ADVrider. There have been about a dozen writeups in each place and I ahve to say you may find one that will suit your needs perfectly.... One guy even made his lock using his ignition key.

Thanks for all the input guys I'll check adv and thumpertalk.

I'm using 3 inch pvc and cap for one end and then a plumbing screw in top for the other. I'll take pics when I'm done

Don't forget to drill a small hole to let moisture out and to let it acclimate to surrounding temps and such.

The above tube is available from most tractor supply or Agri Supply for about $7-8.

Search ebay. Lots of them. Built better than the one you will build. The cap on the one you will build is a large rubber stopper. It is heavy and takes up valuable space from in the tube. I also would not count on it not comming out while off road. A screw cap would be better.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Tool-Tube-bmw-f800-suzuki-v-strom-dr650-kawasaki-klr650-ktm-990-r1200-/170795109853?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c42e8ddd&vxp=mtr

I have that tube, bought it from Agri Suppy for $4.99. It's mean to carry Farm Equipment paperwork but is not water tight, there's a drain hole on the bottom.

I haven't figured out how to mount mine yet :)

Roger,

Where is Agri Supply located? Store or on line?

B

Agri Supply - Here's the link to the tube.

Home Depot has the Welding rod tubes in the tool section. No pre fab mounting brackets like the Agri or tool tube though. PLenty of write ups on TT and ADV on different ideas of how and where to mount the tubes.

I have that tube, bought it from Agri Suppy for $4.99. It's mean to carry Farm Equipment paperwork but is not water tight, there's a drain hole on the bottom.

I haven't figured out how to mount mine yet :)

I had one of these for tools. Bought a kit to mount it to the Girl Bike, and it fit extremely well, worked great, etc. Only problem I found about 10 miles into the first ride with it, was that the mounting brackets between the tool tube and the bike were aluminum, and I guess they weren't thick enough for all the vibes with the weight of the tube, and it ended up with a fatigue crack (stress point for those that have worked with aluminum on airplanes) and cracked along the trail, leaving it hanging, as you will see in the picture below. Make sure you have good mounting hardware.

997609166_z56Q6-X2.jpg

This website has lots of different setups including just the tube itself for $17.00 and a build your own mounting kit option on the hardware page. With all the different sizes, options and accessories plus the reasonable prices, I think your better off buying it from them! They have a lot of nice equipment for very good prices!

http://www.thetooltube.com/Home.html

This website has lots of different setups including just the tube itself for $17.00 and a build your own mounting kit option on the hardware page. With all the different sizes, options and accessories plus the reasonable prices, I think your better off buying it from them! They have a lot of nice equipment for very good prices!

http://www.thetooltube.com/Home.html

Yeah, I was on the tool tube website and did the DIY search. They make a cool product esp the fuel holder. But I like the DIY link for a custom homemade tube. But I'm not sure if it would be cheaper than the TuleTube. But a custom length to fit snug in your hidden spot would be a cool project.

It may be common sense and maybe an unnecessary comment but on all the tubes and such, fill them full. Use a towel or something to make everything tight inside to keep stuff from bouncing around inside. It will also condensate like crazy inside so be sure to drill the small hole at the lowest point to relieve pressure and drain any moisture