Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy adds a 2 smoker to the stable after a 12 year hiatus

Drove to Yuma Friday night then got up at O'Dark thirty and drove to Tucson yesterday morning to pick up my "new to me" bike. A 09 KTM 300 XC-W. Made it back to Plaster City in the late afternoon where I met up with Slowdown (Ron). We watched a few rockets launch as part of "Plaster Blaster" weekend then went for a brief sunset ride...

300Sunset.jpg

Really enjoyed getting back on a light/snappy two smoker again. I sold my 89 CR500 back in 99/00(?) and I've been riding nothing but 4 strokes ever since........that said, I've been lusting after the KTM 300 XC-W's ever since they released them with a magic button, wide ratio tranny, and 3 gallon stock tank.

I was just goofing around the weekend of the 22nd/23rd when a Craigslist search yielded exactly what I had been pondering.....a loaded/well maintained/affordable 300 :dance2::thumbsup_anim:

.......closed a deal this morning on a 09 300 XC-W in Tucson :coolio: ......picking it up Sat the 5th....it's loaded with goodies

2009KTM300XCW018.jpg

Bling:

Rekluse Z-Start Pro Clutch with brake kit

o http://rekluse.com/zstartpro.shtml

Mule Engine Modification by Jeff Slaven

o http://slavensracing.com/services/ktm-2-stroke-services/ktm-2-stroke-engine-services

GPRV3 Remote Adjustment Damping

o http://www.gprstabilizer.com/prod_v3

Trail tech hid x2 with stator

Suspension by factory connection (180-220)

Street legal (AZ.)

Tubliss tire kit

Procircuit platinum II pipe

FMF Q2 Stealth

Pivot Pegz footpegs

Handguards

New plastic

1 previous owner 57 year old/well maintained

Hyde skid plate

Enduro engineering radiator guard

Shark fin

Stealth chainring

Map switch

New battery

My 520 is at All American KTM getting a full service then I'm putting it on the sales block for ~$3500 with new Seat Concepts seat/new graphics......it has freshened top end (reseated/replaced 2 valves) and freshened suspension front (new seals/oil) and rear (revalved shock), new clutch, freshened GPR (new oil/seals), desert tank, bark busters, rad guards, blah, blah, blah......it's all set up for someone to have fun.....

This morning Ron and I rode over to the Blu Inn for breakfast (FYI - still NO GAS, they're hoping to have gas by Thanksgiving weekend.... :blink: ).

Chris300.jpg

Slowdown on his 525

RON.jpg

I arrived back at camp this morning with 71 miles on the ODO and the bike took exactly 2 gallons to refill. The previous owner had the bike set up for riding between 5K-8K so we made some changes for my usual winter riding (500' - 3,000'). He supplied me with all the stock jets/needle and a JD kit/instructions. I'm pretty happy with the JD jet kit recommendations for our area (set it up with 162 main, blue needle, 2nd clip). The bike starts/idles/runs perfectly (from what I can tell) and today's 35 mpg is better than expected since I hit the throttle hard on several occasions :rolleyes: (Bursts to ~75mph were effortless). I'm thinking the 2.9 stock tank may yield a "safe" range of ~90(?) miles.....I may still put on a 3.7 IMS to yield a safe ~120(?) mile range.

Overall impressions were, "wow, what a fun/light/snappy bike". I'd forgotten how "buzzy" two strokes can be but so what, the light feel/fun factor had me "buzzing with delight" :lol::coolio: . Also had to adjust to the Rekluse....I've never ridden with a Rekluse before and it felt very odd at first to ride with no brake pedal, no clutch lever, and rear brake control on the left handlebar in place of the clutch lever. :dead: .....The learning curve was quick.....I really like it now......a finger touch on the left hand lever when standing is easier (for me) than a rear brake pedal/lever (it's just like riding a ~225lb mountain bike....with a motor :lol: ). Likewise, it's pretty cool to have a bike that doesn't stall.....ever.

It was sunny and 70 out in Plaster City this morning....quite a transition as I rolled up over the pass around 1pm and into the rain........saw Dirt Diva and her Pit Crew driving home along on the 8fwy as we all slogged through the rain......

See Ya on the trail(s)

An old riding buddie says he has 17000 miles on his 2000 KTM 300 !!!!!

I dig 2(3) strokes.

Congratulations on your purchase

I dig 2(3) strokes.

You inspired me/pushed me over the edge ......thanks for the nudge ;)

Sweet bike, lots of adjustments to play with which make a big difference, power valves, mapping and jetting, I didn't like the JD needles on my 300 made it too smooth, lost the fun factor so went back stock needle and much better (for me). If it hasn't beed done weld the power valve pin as they can vibrate out on 300's and that can mean an expensive gearbox rebuild if it gets in wrong place, other than that they are an awesome bike, so much fun to ride.

Glad you like it.

Maybe if I ever get my fat ass back on a bike again (meaning a bike with a seat :rolleyes: ) I'll upgrade the TE 510 to the 300. The thought of a nice light trail bike is really appealing as most of the time the power of the 510 is untapped.

CONGRATS !! Very NICE!! :party:

and always fun to add new bikes to the fleet....(I like my 2 stroke, BUT find that my KTM does everything I want, and then some, and has double the fuel range, so I don't use the 2 stroke much....probably should sell it).

(I like my 2 stroke, BUT find that my KTM does everything I want, and then some, and has double the fuel range, so I don't use the 2 stroke much....probably should sell it).

Thanks Deb.......funny, I was thinking the same thing but in the opposite direction......selling a 4 stroke now that I have a 2 stroke :unsure::blink: ........I really like my 520, it's all dialed, and it has a slightly better fuel range than my 300, but now that I have the 300 I should probably sell the 520 because it won't see much use on ~100 mile or less desert/technical loops ;) .......still have the WR250R for longer range/street laden dualsport "mule runs" like LA-B-V, etc...

I'm not sure if I want to ride Bass Lake with you Chris if your going to be on the "cheater" bike. It's hard enough to follow you on your little girl bike up there.

CiD

I'm not sure if I want to ride Bass Lake with you Chris if your going to be on the "cheater" bike. It's hard enough to follow you on your little girl bike up there.

CiD

I can't wait to ride it in Big Bear, Bass Lake, etc....

Guest Crusty

CiD

I can't wait to ride it in Big Bear, Bass Lake, etc....

Congrats, it's great to have both.coolio.gif

I love my 2 strokes on short technical rides and the 4 strokes for long days and any ride with pavement!

At the track the 2 stroke is fun, but the four stroke power makes it so easy to jump.

CiD

+1 on that. Congrats Chris! Always fun to get new toys! Can't remember the last time I rode a 2 stroke.

Chris, congrats on the cool 2 stroke. I've always thought it would be neat to have for tougher, nasty singletrack type rides.

Sweet bike, lots of adjustments to play with which make a big difference, power valves, mapping and jetting, I didn't like the JD needles on my 300 made it too smooth, lost the fun factor so went back stock needle and much better (for me). If it hasn't beed done weld the power valve pin as they can vibrate out on 300's and that can mean an expensive gearbox rebuild if it gets in wrong place, other than that they are an awesome bike, so much fun to ride.

Thanks for the input. Looking at your stable of bikes I'd imagine you're very familiar with these 300s. I plan on trying the stock needle just for kicks.....I'll be interested to see if I can feel the difference at my skill level......I want that smooth/tractible power in the summer when the riding is more technical, but this time of year it might be fun to have a harder hit when just goofing around in the open desert.....it was quite a few years ago, but as I recall my CR500 would lock my elbows when it hit the powerband :lol: .....I currently have the middle spring in place on the power valve.....need to try the more aggressive spring too.....I'll also check the power valve pin (thanks for the tip)

Bike is "undressed" in the garage now.....all plastics off, tank off, forks dropped.....waiting on fork Seal Savers/CORE graphics......also meeting Lendon to pick up a new Seat Concepts seat cover tonight after work......wired it up for GPS/Battery tender last night......luckily it already has a Pro Moto Billet kick stand (why is it that KTM refuses to provide decent kickstands stock? :blink: )

so I don't use the 2 stroke much....probably should sell it).

Really?? How much? (the plated 2 smoker)

Thanks for the input. Looking at your stable of bikes I'd imagine you're very familiar with these 300s. I plan on trying the stock needle just for kicks.....I'll be interested to see if I can feel the difference at my skill level......I want that smooth/tractible power in the summer when the riding is more technical, but this time of year it might be fun to have a harder hit when just goofing around in the open desert.....it was quite a few years ago, but as I recall my CR500 would lock my elbows when it hit the powerband :lol: .....I currently have the middle spring in place on the power valve.....need to try the more aggressive spring too.....I'll also check the power valve pin (thanks for the tip)

Bike is "undressed" in the garage now.....all plastics off, tank off, forks dropped.....waiting on fork Seal Savers/CORE graphics......also meeting Lendon to pick up a new Seat Concepts seat cover tonight after work......wired it up for GPS/Battery tender last night......luckily it already has a Pro Moto Billet kick stand (why is it that KTM refuses to provide decent kickstands stock? :blink: )

Yeh rather familiar with the 300's lately, in fact I had essentially same bike in UK, an 09 300 EXC 6 days and loved it so much I've bought 3 more 300's since. You should notice a big difference with stock needle, try it in #2 from top clip with 162 main, 35 pilot and AS about 1.5 out, that works well at lower elevations and you can go leaner in mountains unless it gets too cold. And do try red PV spring and also adjust the brass preload tensioner, I set mine flush with casing. Haven't tried that silencer, I like the FMF TC2, shorter and more hit, yes I have my bikes set up rather agressive but you still have loads of low end which gets me to only issue I had with my 09, the gearbox. I ran 14/50 gearing as stock 13/50 was way too low with first unusable, but I found gaps between 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th to be too big to pull through in some conditions, sand, wet loam etc., you had to scream it in 1 gear then could fall off the pipe when going for next gear so with PV opening sooner and faster helped that somewhat. The 5 speed XC gearbox is closer and IMO better for racing but less spread/flexibility, then the 6 speed in 11 finally got it right. If you try the more agressive PV/jetting settings definetely try the alternative engine mapping, I haven't as find the fast mode fine but several friends are always switching back and forth for more control in technical conditions. When you come to do top end I would recommend having head reworked, 300 has low compression and with bit of skimming it adds noticeable low end boost and burns cleaner and is easier to jet. 300's are known for overheating, fan kit seems to be the real fix although never tried it, do put 1.8 bar rad cap on anyway (as KTM fitted on 2010 2 strokes and earlier 4 strokes), and if rads are straight BPD rad guards are good insurance. And 1 last mod can think of for now which is less of a big deal here but quite cheap is to fit the 2010 airbox which has piece above filter to stop water getting splashed up from front wheel crossing creeks etc getting funneled under tank straight onto filter and into carb, drowned my 09 out first ride like this. Lots more things I'm sure I've missed, let me know if you have anything you need to know.

so I don't use the 2 stroke much....probably should sell it).

Really?? How much? (the plated 2 smoker)

I paid $2100 for it and put some money into it..(but you know how much I love the whole advertising/selling thing) so I'd rather it go to a good SDAR home..we can talk.

Congrats on the new scoot. 2 stokes are a blast, my last one was a CR500 also, have always had big bore 2 stokes, then I sold my CR500 for a DRZ400........ I love my 450 but it is always nice to have another tool in the tool box. The 300 XCW is a always fun to ride. You have gotten good advice from the previous posters, sounds like your bike is very well set up. I have tried all the PV springs and have settled on the Red one. All the springs have great low end, but the Red spring will make her wake up in a hurry. You just cant ride it with a heavy hand in the tight stuff, finesse is the key, but when you want her to lift the front end it will do it no problem with a little blip of the throttle. I also turned the the PV adjuster flush with the side cover but screwed it back in about .030. Very responsive.....

post-13615-060481200 1320947744_thumb.jp

post-13615-039468600 1320948019_thumb.jp

....when you come to do top end I would recommend having head reworked...

Sadly, that day is already here. Went for a ride Sunday and had a blast between The Pinyon Trailhead and Borrego Springs........bike is all set up with black plastics, gps hardwire, PTT for comms, header pipe guard, etc......I was ready to rock!

300black.jpg

I REALLY like the light feel/power of the 300, the Rekluse clutch, etc......but the bike died after shortly we left Borrego Springs and started climbing up S22.....

Luckily I was able to roll/foot paddle back down to Carlee's for a beer(s) while waiting for Lendon/Tony to snatch my truck and pick me up (thanks guys).

300dead.jpg

Hobiee took the bike over to All American KTM this morning....I spoke with RJ on the phone a short while ago and he told me the piston “grenaded” in the 300 (Not a term anyone wants to hear from their friend/mechanic :thumbsdown_anim::crying_anim02:. (I didn't really hear anything/feel any "clunking" when it died on Sunday.......it just quit :huh: ).....cylinder needs to be reworked from bits of piston flying about.......*may* have damaged bottom end too......motor is coming out to check the bottom end crank/bearings......I'm stopping by on my way home to see the carnage before they send out the cylinder/toss the piston.

Looks like my decision to roll the dice and buy a bike with boat load of hours on it (375, ~75 since last top end) came up craps :withstupid::axehead:

Also looks like I'll be riding a different 300 at LAB2V next week.......my 300 lb. WR250R :coolio::lol:

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Chris.

There were good reasons why the Swedes used heavy forged pistons in their engines used for severe duty desert racing. You might check and see if there are any available for your KTM.

I am guessing the guy didnt use OEM parts on the rebuild. Talked to a guy Sunday on our ride said he has 6k miles on his 300 no issues. He said he put a new piston in it cause he felt like he should, not because it was running poorly.

Sorry to hear of your loss..... :(

Luckily I was able to roll/foot paddle back down to Carlee's for a beer(s) while waiting

If everyone could breakdown that gracefully... :ph34r: Sorry to hear about the carnage. That's why you have the WR cause it goes....

I am guessing the guy didnt use OEM parts on the rebuild. Talked to a guy Sunday on our ride said he has 6k miles on his 300 no issues. He said he put a new piston in it cause he felt like he should, not because it was running poorly.

Sorry to hear of your loss..... :(

This bike has ~8K miles/~375hrs on it. First top end at 210 hours with Slavens engine mods (porting and polishing). Second top end at 304 hours. Suspension done at 287hrs. Heim joints replaced last year. Bike appears to have been well taken care of and the previous owner seems like a nice/honest guy to me....I rode it pretty hard......I guess it was just its time.....especially given all the "time" already on the bike....

What caused the piston failure ? It's usually jetting, somehow the motor got hot. It's possible that after 75 hrs the piston broke, granaded, for some weird reason. I once blew a hole in a Yamaha piston when I ran outta gas going down the hiway but thats a lean condition. I've got 202 hours on my stock piston with 4200 miles and it runs great.