SDlineman

"Epic" Riding areas

Crusty's post got me thinking about what rides/riding areas everyone considers "epic". I've got a couple on my list:

Southern Utah (Yes, that is too vague, but there is a ton of great riding there, and it seems like you can ride from one area to the next throughout the whole region.)

Kennedy Meadows

Mammoth Mtn.

Bar 10

Baja (please don't turn this into a discussion on whether it's safe or not, I think everyone agrees the riding is epic)

Any others?

I agree for the Kern Plateau. The only other place that I have ridden both street and dirt was in Washington state. Lots of great stuff up there if you can stand the weather. I like to ride in the rain...but that was ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Crusty's post got me thinking about what rides/riding areas everyone considers "epic". I've got a couple on my list:

Southern Utah (Yes, that is too vague, but there is a ton of great riding there, and it seems like you can ride from one area to the next throughout the whole region.)

Kennedy Meadows

Mammoth Mtn.

Bar 10

Baja (please don't turn this into a discussion on whether it's safe or not, I think everyone agrees the riding is epic)

Any others?

I've ridden a little bit of Utah, and a little bit of Baja, and agree with you there...

never done the other places, but really need to.

If my 3 days in Arizona were ANY indication, there is EPIC all over... for me, epic is not about seeking out the gnarliest trail to beat in to submission, but the whole thing: great views, trails that are challenging "enough", perfect temperatures, nice place to rest over night, whatever level of remoteness that suits YOU...

I really enjoyed the Flagstaff hiking trail. I know I am in the minority on that, but on my DRZ, with low gearing, big tank, trials tires, and comfy seat, THAT was an epic trail for me. Just tough enough to keep me on my toes, but very rideable... way up in the pines... adequate riding partners... a great campground nearby... a hotel away from the riding partners that snore...

Sedona was nice, but the trails were pretty short... Schnebly Road was epic views without any challenges...

I think Big Bear is pretty epic, but so close we take it for granted...

Looking forward to some of the other places

The only one on my list that I've actually rode was So. Utah, the others are just places I've read about and want to ride. I'm sure everyone's definition of "epic" is different, but mine is pretty similar to yours.

I thought of a few more, the TAT, and the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route both should get epic status.

We rode across Nevada on a TAT trip . Three days to get across,all public land,wild horses ect.A few gates just to keep the cattle in. Up one Mtn.range then down all across the state . Only saw people near the Highways. I thought it was epic !

people who aren't SD locals would probably consider anza borrego and superstition mountain "epic" riding areas.

For day rides, anything can be "Epic" it just depends on what you are looking for; but that term is used very loosely now days.

This May I rode around the Grand Canyon, that ride was boring. However, once I turned north and away from Jacob Lake the riding became spectacular. I cut my average from nearly 400 miles a day down to about 165/day it could have been due to the white out conditions of snow, the tight trails (all legit), or the fact that I kept banging my head covers on rocks and had to move slowly. Those days from Kanab, Ut to the Canadian border were epic for all the right reasons. I lived off what I what carried (or in one case caught - gotta keep those survival skills sharp) and only went into town for fuel. Sure the nights were frigidly cold and the temptation to go the easy way and find a hotel was there, but where is the adventure in that?

I spent a day in Canada riding unimproved roads from one border post to the next then re-entered the US to follow the CDR to Antelope Wells, NM and into Baja. We all know where to get CDR info, and I would recommend it to ANYONE with the spirit of adventure. Baja is just that, another place to ride where you won't be harassed by overzealous rangers and enviro-nazis, but I can go there anytime.

My belief is that living as close to nature as possible relying on yourself for motivation and survival makes for real adventure. Sure my riding are was well over 800 miles from Kanab until Canada, but every second of it was epic by my standards.

Most epic street ride was Highway 199 in northern California/southern Oregon. I don't think I have ever been more at peace with myself or the world than when I was riding that road.

Fraser River Valley in southern British Columbia.

In the moment

P10003081000w-L.jpg

P10002991000w-L.jpg

P10003151000w-L.jpg

P10003101000w-L.jpg

Epic Ride? No matter how far or near, placing yourself at a place in time where nature and your experience in it overwhelms your spirit.

Dirt....

• Southern Utah...so much to see there, so many great trails.
  • Southern Sierra in the Kernville / Lake Isabella area...lots of epic singletrack.
  • All of the Sierra Nevada range, especially Lone Pine, Bishop, Brideport areas.
  • Still have yet to explore more in the Tahoe area, have seen some of it and it's great.
  • Coastal mountains in northern California.
  • Colorado.
  • 4 corners area near Monument Valley.
  • Trans America Trail.
  • Alaska...Denali Highway, Dalton Highway, all of Alaska

Local...Anza Borrego Desert State Park.

Street....

• So much in California, especially northern CA.
  • Highway 1 all up the coast.
  • Washington State and the Olympic Peninsula.
  • Utah.
  • Colorado.
  • All of Alaska

1) Grand Canyon, AZ

2) Bass Lake, CA

3) Moab, UT

4) Mammoth, CA

Grand Canyon:

3250.jpg

Picture Credit: PMB

Bass Lake

cimg3834.jpg

Moab, UT

404.jpg

Mammoth, CA

cimg4388.jpg

In the moment

[P10003101000w-L.jpg

Epic Ride? No matter how far or near, placing yourself at a place in time where nature and your experience in it overwhelms your spirit.

I agree with Dave, Roger, Bikeslut and Paul. My second home is on the Southern Utah and Northern Arizona border. But don't tell anyubody. I am getting fed up with too many tourists.

This May I rode around the Grand Canyon, that ride was boring.

Aw. I suppose we can't ride together....