Thanks for posting. :party: Fun write up and pictures! :drinks::good:

Chris, I'm not sure how you even found some sections in the first place...

Wait til you see what I have in store for the return trip in Oct. ;) ....as you know, Hobiee and I arrived late at the Bar 10 each day (we barely arrived in time for dinner on Sunday).......we were out working on the Oct tracks while you folks were enjoying the May tracks.......in Oct we'll have a few intermediate twists as options between Mesquite and Bar 10.....a few more miles.....and some awesome viewpoints........

Teaser.......here's a view point you won't see in anyone else's pics.......it'll be featured as a waypoint in the Oct GPS file :king:

CoreWhitmore2.jpg

I'm glad you liked the alt way back......my concern was that the alt track back after the schoolhouse has a lot of major dirt road sections.......we came up with a few wrinkles on Tuesday to get folks off the main roads in a few areas.....most of the changes aren't overly long, but they are more....."interesting"........I'll just leave it at that.... :ph34r::unsure::lol: .......I also have waypoints for ALL gates on ALL tracks now.....and I marked waypoints at the nasty wash-outs on the way back.......there were probably ~3 "VW swallowing" washouts within the span of one mile......we'll figure out a work around to leave that section behind when we explore again in Oct......but that'll be a track file change for the Spring of 2012 B)

(FYI - Strega and I rode UP Elbow Canyon fully loaded with saddlebags when we circled the Grand Canyon in Oct 09' (the rocky descent you liked at the end of the alt track back)......it WAS fun to ride that section UP......hmmmmmm......rethinking the draft Oct file as I type this reply :ph34r::o:lol: )

Thanks for coming out, supporting CORE, and posting your ride report/pics (regardless of forum)

OK, lets start this write-up off as, well, a ride report. This was a REALLY FUN trip. It was my first time to the Grand Canyon and I couldn't think of a better way to see it. Great scenery, great trails, great accomodations and great people. Would have liked to do the Primm ride first so next time for sure. Bruce had to work Saturday so we got a late start out of town and didn't arrive at the hotel until the wee hours Sunday Morning :wacko: Here we are in the parking lot of the Falcon Ridge hotel getting ready to head out. Took off about 8:30 am.

Since we took the Rocky trail on the way out in the morning, we decided to come back the other route to check out the School House (next time I'm taking the Rocky trail back down - much more fun!) So we had a fun little adventure at the school house....

The SchoolMarm...

DSC00310.jpg

and the student who doesn't seem to have done his homework....

DSC00311.jpg

DSC00312.jpg

We didn't take any pictures the last day on the way home cause well, we just had too much fun riding. This track was like the gift that just kept giving - plenty of rocks, single track and cross country riding..... Since we left pretty early in the morning, there were not many riders ahead of us and in some places it was tough to see the trail (Chris, I'm not sure how you even found some sections in the first place). Then the view at the top of the pass just before the descent to Mesquite was just incredible. But, by far, the best part of the trip back was the rocky descent down the other side of this pass - loved every second of it. Maybe next year we can try going up it - what do ya say.....

Very cool writeup & neat pics too.

Well done! See I told you the hard way wasn"t that hard. :blush: Great write up.

Missed this trip. :( I will make sure to be on the next ride in Oct..... Looks like all had a good time.

Great to meet you out there Diva! That hill climb is one of my favorites out there....lots of lava rock!

Heard you cleared it no problem and passed the pansies on the way......good on you!

Defenitly different on my 690 vs. the CRFX......challenges are the best!

Great to meet you out there Diva! That hill climb is one of my favorites out there....lots of lava rock!

Heard you cleared it no problem and passed the pansies on the way......good on you!

I was sitting at the top of the lava hill huffing and puffing and she rode ride up and said where's the hard part.

Covered in Old Man

Good Job everyone. Nice pictures of the naughty students.So one more ride in fall--Hope to be their.

Another viewpoint/pic you won't see in the other riders photos.....it's WAAAAY up there.......waypoint set for the return trip in Oct... ;)

COREWhitmorePt1.jpg

Maybe it's blue in autumn?

Cool contrasting pics Zina!

Speaking of Autumn, how about another teaser?

The below photo was taken from Whitmore Pt. looking down at the RIver View Pt. in the distance......(Brian and I were exploring up top while you folks were down at the River View Pt......tracks/waypoints will be included when we return in Oct.)......Do you recognize the river bend/land marks? The River Viewpoint is in the lower right quadrant and not visible....the small hill dead center in this photo (blocking a view of the canyon wall) is the same hill/wall you see rising straight up to your left as you look up river from the River Viewpoint.......yes, Whitmore Pt. is waaaaay up there northwest of the River Viewpoint.........we could see the dust clouds from the trail but you couldn't see us :coolio:

WhitmorePt.jpg

Great write up and trip...very cool to see couples riding together too.........I saw Chris and Brian via spotwalla exploring all those new places....that was cool...I'm planning on October....Can't wait to go back...

Fun trip report. Thanks! :good:

All I can say, is that place looks AMAZING!

Fun trip report. Thanks! :good:

All I can say, is that place looks AMAZING!

Nice Pics!!! I can't wait to go back there!

Sunday morning Snack stop.......shifting it around the corner in Oct....even better ledge/view

CoreLedgesLunchStop.jpg

Been slackin on getting pictures loaded...stupid work! :dead:

Didn't take as many pictures this time except at Toroweep as last time it was pouring rain and I was bummed we didn't get to play in the snow. :ph34r:

The ride out to Bar 10....

there are riders on the trail in this photo

SAM_0769.jpg

We decided to pass up the ranch and go straight to the lookout

Damn that is a sexy bike! :wub:

SAM_0776.jpg

sexy guy next to a sexy bike :heh:

SAM_0782.jpg

Larry making my hands and feet sweat while he is on the edge

SAM_0789.jpg

SAM_0791.jpg

Me looking like I am grabbing for hand rails

SAM_0792.jpg

View doesn't suck

SAM_0793.jpg

SAM_0795.jpg

Wasn't going to post this.....but it is the funniest on my camera. Dan taking a picture of Larry for his Christmas card. I can hear him in his helmet now....."Work it Larry! Work it!"

SAM_0797.jpg

Toroweep physically made my butt pucker when people were walking along or towards the edge. I couldn't look when they got near the edge and was VERY nervous if someone was around me while I was at the edge.

SAM_0801.jpg

SAM_0803.jpg

ate lunch with Larry on one edge

SAM_0804.jpg

SAM_0806.jpg

SAM_0809.jpg

SAM_0810.jpg

SAM_0819.jpg

stepped over a crack that went a loooong way down....shot was taken while straddling the crack

SAM_0824.jpg

SAM_0825.jpg

Dan ringing the bell at the schoolhouse

SAM_0830.jpg

on the way back we stopped at the lone red rocks for a shot.

SAM_0835.jpg

Great time as always.....thanks Chris for putting all the work into this ride! Looking forward to doing this again and it was awesome meeting new people that share the same interests from different areas. :rolleyes:

I was sitting at the top of the lava hill huffing and puffing and she rode ride up and said where's the hard part.

Covered in Old Man

Don't let her fool you guys too much. She is a Mountain Biker from way back to little league days with our kids. She would show up at games with bruises and scratches from aggressive Mountain Biking. Me and the wife would tease her. :rolleyes:

Great pics from you too Hoss. I know what you mean about being sceered of heights! I get paralyzed with fear when I am on the edge of a canyon, an it doesn't take a very big one for me. :o

Great pix from a great ride !

The scenery in that area is non-stop.

SAM_0782.jpg

Hoss,

In your bike build piece you spoke of needing to use the front fuel tanks to install the fairing. Are we looking at two front tanks?

Also, It looks like you stretched the legs of your '08. If so, how'd that work? And thirdly, what gearing did you run out there in the Open Spaces?

I'm running 14/50 currently, and thinking of going 15/50 to Toroweap and up to Fredonia.

Lookin' Good!

SAM_0782.jpg

Hoss,

In your bike build piece you spoke of needing to use the front fuel tanks to install the fairing. Are we looking at two front tanks?

Also, It looks like you stretched the legs of your '08. If so, how'd that work? And thirdly, what gearing did you run out there in the Open Spaces?

I'm running 14/50 currently, and thinking of going 15/50 to Toroweap and up to Fredonia.

Lookin' Good!

the two front tanks are behind the stock side panels where a standard tank would be. Had to move the regulator / coil and air valve to fit the tanks. The brackets were included with the tank kit.

Bike now holds 5.6 gallons.

Not sure what you mean by stretched the legs of the bike. If you mean the wheel base looks longer......it is an illusion with the configuration of the picture.

I think I am running a 14/49 right now but not positive. The bike was a bit jerky in 1 and 2....cleared up when at the middle to end of 3rd gear and beyond. Ran like a freight train in 4th and up. May be a combination of bad tires and the MAP set to "race" mode.

With the gearing set up I guess I had hit 86.2 mph on the dirt at one point.....motor wasn't singing or at the end of it's leg easy peasy.

Plan on not sleeping one night or having nothing to do soon.......will finish my build report

With the gearing set up I guess I had hit 86.2 mph on the dirt at one point.....motor wasn't singing or at the end of it's leg easy peasy.

Plan on not sleeping one night or having nothing to do soon.......will finish my build report

That is a fine lookin' machine !