piratemonkey

Poop protocol

In the interest of being part of the solution and not part of the problem, I'd like to make a public service announcement: When you're in the wilderness and have to do the deuce, dig a little hole with your boot, do what must be done, and then cover it up with some dirt. As for the tp, I carry a ziploc bag and pack it out, but I get why some people would be loathe to do that -- if you are one, at least bury your tp along with your poop.

One of the most pathetic areas I've seen is near the sand dam at Superstition. I get that people need to relieve themselves, but I don't get why there had to be clumps of toilet paper all over the place.

I happened to be thinking about this since the upcoming Bar 10 trip will involve a fair number of people traveling the same facility-free roads. This, after another large group has recently been there. And before them, who knows who else made the same trip along the same roads. You may think you're in the middle of nowhere, but that nowhere is another backcountry enthusiast's somewhere.

Now don't go accusing me of being an eco-nazi just because I don't want to see turd piles and tp. It's just the civil thing to do, and without civility, the overturning of garbage cans and stranger-on-stranger stabbings begin...

One of the most pathetic areas I've seen is near the sand dam at Superstition.

I'm also amazed at the number of glass beer bottles that I've found and packed out of that same area over the last couple of years. Probably about two dozen! :angry::angry2:

I agree with the plea. I have been riding at Corral Canyon and seen mounds of dooky and toilet paper right in the middle of the road. :thumbsdown_anim: WTF? The person couldn't even go behind the bushes off the edge of the road??? :weird:

I agree with the plea. I have been riding at Corral Canyon and seen mounds of dooky and toilet paper right in the middle of the road. :thumbsdown_anim: WTF? The person couldn't even go behind the bushes off the edge of the road??? :weird:

Remember, Corral Canyon area is in a corridor used by illegals....just sayin'.

There is snakes in those bushes

As for the tp, I carry a ziploc bag and pack it out

Gross :bad:

Heck, who needs a ziploc bag ?? :blink:

Thanks to Zina for being bold enough to bring it up...though it has likely disturbed most of us at some point........as a backpacker far before being a dual sporter, I have always maintained the "tread lightly, and leave it better than you found it" policy of all the great outdoors.....just means we want to maintain the beauty and appreciate it..(and leave it beautiful for the next visitors)........exploring the wilderness is a big reason many of us love dual sport riding so much.........seems everything shared should be common sense, but then again....common sense, isn't so common any more :huh:

Remember, Corral Canyon area is in a corridor used by illegals....just sayin'.

I don't think that they carry THAT much toilet paper.

Just love the "hiking singles" ad on the same page as the WAG bag info.

I guess the Go Girl could be handy for some members.

If you think packing tp out is gross, I'm thinking you're not a WAG bag candidate...

http://www.mount-whitney.com/hiking_backpacking_mt_whitney/mt_whitney_wag_bags.php

So don't dealy Act now Supplies are running out.

Free Trial

One of the most pathetic areas I've seen is near the sand dam at Superstition. I get that people need to relieve themselves, but I don't get why there had to be clumps of toilet paper all over the place.

It was most likley buried until the wind decided to take the sand elsewhere....?

Oh and...

People are pigs!

If you want to be an outdoor waste "master"...here you go

Minimizing Impact and Random Acts of Kindness for the Environment: Human Waste

Small groups. Small groups should use the cat hole method for human waste disposal: using your heel, a flat rock or small scoop, make a shallow hole in the forest duff. Before doing so, be sure that you are over 200 feet from water sources. Once finished, mix the top organic layer of soil thoroughly with the feces (which greatly aids the decomposition process) and bury.

Toilet paper. If you have a fire burning, throw the toilet paper into the fire. Some people recommend burning toilet paper on site, but I emphatically disagree. Burn it on site only during very wet weather or in the winter. Never, never burn toilet paper during dry conditions. A number of large forest fires have started simply by people burning their toilet paper. The best way of dealing with used toilet paper is to unravel it and mix it with the feces and organic soil. Then Bury it. Toilet paper, after all, is a wood product and will eventually decompose.

Desert Environments. Very little decomposition takes place in the desert, and what does take place is greatly assisted by the sun. Thus it's important to not bury human waste very deeply. For human waste disposal, find a place out of the way, flatten out the feces with a stick or rock, and bury them under a thin layer of soil. Toilet paper should be burned (but only if very safe) or placed in a plastic bag and carried out.

Sea Kayaking. In coastal areas, scoop out a shallow hole in the intertidal zone. Once the water comes up, the ocean will do the rest.

Rivers. Because the same campsites are used day after day all summer long, many agencies which manage western rivers require that you take along portable toilets and carry out all of your human waste. Check the regulations before starting your trip.

Larger Groups: Latrines. Use a latrine with larger groups (which means you won't be in a wilderness area). A proper latrine should be constructed so it is wider than it is deep: about foot in depth and two feet wide. After each person uses it, the feces should be mixed with organic soil from the very top of the hole. Before you leave, bury everything.

Tampons. No matter what style of disposing of human waste, never bury tampons. Always carry them out. Triple bag them and use a broken tea bag or crushed aspirin to cut back odor. If you have a fire, they can be burned, but after burning them, pull out the charred remains, bag it and carry it out.

Just love the "hiking singles" ad on the same page as the WAG bag info.

Totally appropriate. Knowing my wife, if I start carrying around my poop in a plastic bag, I'm going to need that site sooner, rather than later.

if I start carrying around my poop in a plastic bag

It's all these articles about becoming a self contained septic tank that made me cancel my subscription to Backpacker magazine and quit backpacking back in the 90s. Some articles claimed that even the poop never disintegrates, which I know is a load of poop in it's self. If this were true, the whole world would literally be up to it's neck in poop by now. :rolleyes:

I really never have this problem. i guess that's why everyone says I'm full of sh*t.

Covered in Diapers

Poop in a jar video

Where the heck did you find that ?!! :lol:

Poop in a jar video

You never heard of Hayseed Dixie??

You never heard of Hayseed Dixie??

Not until now.

So, while on this subject think about this for a while. Right now the eco-terrorists (the Sierra Club and all their spin-off whacko groups) are using the off-roaders as the bad examples for closing off ALL our recreation areas because of the supposed "damage" we create while enjoying our favorite areas. Once they have everything locked up from us then they will use the human waste problem for their propaganda to finally close everything that's left open to ALL HUMAN access. Don't think it can happen? Just wait. These people have nothing better to do with their sorry lives than to bitch and gripe about everyone else having fun so it's inevitable. Yep, it is a bunch of crap (pun intended.)