Strega

Attaching bag to rack...

Here is the dilemma:

I need to figure out how to attach this bag...

moosebag01.jpg

moosebag02.jpg

moosebag03.jpg

...to this rack

rack01.jpg

rack02.jpg

rack03.jpg

Don't have much room under the bars on the rack, since it's || close to the rear fender. Biggest issue is the tabs on the tail end, those are used to bolt the rack to the tail of the bike.

I'm puzzled =\

weld on 4 tabs with threaded inserts (or welded nut on bottom) m6 or m8 and attach with button head screws and big washers. then you can take it on and off easily and replace with larger bag for longer trips. I assume thats why you are mounting a fender bag to a rack instead of directly to the fender.

Or you can just use some big zip ties and rig it.

It appears that you can run wire or cord from inside the bag, out through the 4 holes and around the rack fairly easily. Zip ties would be quick; wire would be stronger.

Looks like an easy fix from the photos...

Fabricate two little straps of steel maybe an inch wide and maybe about a quarter of an inch thick. Make them just long enough so that they each will span the holes in the bag crosswise. Drill holes in the steel to line up with the holes. Place one strap inside the bag crosswise and one under the lengthwise bars on the rack. Put a bolt through each hole and each set of steel straps and tighten the whole thing up with nylock nuts. If you can't do that with the back set of holes, then punch a hole in the center back there and run one bolt. Well...it was simple anyway. :unsure::lol:

rack03.jpg

Guest Crusty

weld on 4 tabs with threaded inserts (or welded nut on bottom) m6 or m8 and attach with button head screws and big washers. then you can take it on and off easily and replace with larger bag for longer trips. I assume thats why you are mounting a fender bag to a rack instead of directly to the fender.

Or you can just use some big zip ties and rig it.

What he said, but I would add a piece of plastic 1/16"- 1/8" thick, cut to the shape of the bag, placed inside the bag with the screws through it.

welding nuts straight to rack looks easy.

5639226349_43363e6e4e.jpg

Are you mounting it temporarily or more permanent? How much time do you want to put into it? Some heavy duty zip ties done the right way would work for a short term fix with not much time energy involved. Mimi idea is Ok but it may want to slide up and down a bit, and you would probably have to put same rigid piece of metal in the bag so that you could tighten it down well enough. You could use the same type of attachments that mount skidplates to the tube frame on bikes. Nut with a u shaped metal to grab the rack. I think you would still have to bolt through a piece of metal inside the bag so that it would be rigid enough. Fender washers would work temporarily, but material would rip eventually.

post-174-026585500 1303359974_thumb.jpg

welding nuts straight to rack looks easy.

5639226349_43363e6e4e.jpg

I think we have a winner, this looks to be the best idea at the moment. I need to be able to remove the bag so that I can place it on my other bike as well as the ability to remove it to get access to the bolts needed to bolt the rack to the rear fender. Now, just need to find someone that can do some welding for me before Wed of next week :)

Craig, good idea with the plastic on the inside, luckily the bag came with that already on the inside. I was thinking I might also cut a sheet of alum to go under it to give it a bit more rigid frame.

Thank you all for the ideas, very much appreciated.

Anyone a solid welder that can help me out? :)

Are you mounting it temporarily or more permanent? How much time do you want to put into it?

It has to be 'temporary' because I can't have the bag on it when I bolt the rack to the bike. The bag has to be put on after the rack is on. Also, the clearance between the rack and the fender is very very little. Temporary also so I can move it over to my WR as well. Luckily there's room under my WR rack because it's a PMB and attaches on the side with no middle obstructions.

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it.

*EDIT*

Thinking about it a little more, I also want it to be temporary so when I'm doing long Adventure rides, I can remove the tail bag and take it with me so it doesn't get stolen. That's happened once before and I don't want to replace everything in the tail bag again :(

Welding would be the most secure and proper way to do it. Welding nuts straight to the rack may not give you the exact hole alignment or strength as it would be a small attachment point. If you weld 1 inch flat steel across the bars you could drill exact holes and weld the nuts under the flat steel. Always nice to take the time and do it right.

Welding would be the most secure and proper way to do it. Welding nuts straight to the rack may not give you the exact hole alignment or strength as it would be a small attachment point. If you weld 1 inch flat steel across the bars you could drill exact holes and weld the nuts under the flat steel. Always nice to take the time and do it right.

That's a good idea, thanks!

Or,,,you could skip the welding and use flexible metal straps, those P shaped goodies with rubber insulators. They could be called Cable Ties. Come in nylon as well.

Loop around the existing bars, bolt through the holes in the strap ends. Coupled with the hard base inside the bag, it would be stable. Is the bag for tools or jackets?

You might have luck at Marshalls Industrial Supply off Miramar Rd.

http://www.tiewraps.com/loompage.html

Here is the dilemma....I need to figure out how to attach this bag...I'm puzzled =\

Well, I suppose I could carry my own tubes :coolio::lol::lol:

Or,,,you could skip the welding and use flexible metal straps, those P shaped goodies with rubber insulators. They could be called Cable Ties. Come in nylon as well.

Loop around the existing bars, bolt through the holes in the strap ends. Coupled with the hard base inside the bag, it would be stable. Is the bag for tools or jackets?

You might have luck at Marshalls Industrial Supply off Miramar Rd.

http://www.tiewraps.com/loompage.html

I like this idea best. SS in the right size, easy to carry extras. Only issue might be hole size.

I forgot that the rack needs to be mounted on the bike first. Welding the nuts is the best way. Cut a piece of cardboard to put between the bag and rack. Then push bolts thru and put nuts on. The cardboard will hold bolts in place and protect bag. Set rack on and tack in place. Remove bag and finish weld.

Edited by Covered in Dust

rack2.jpg

I like Mimi's idea (if I understand correctly) as a simple, no weld, temporary attachment...

4 pieces of flat bar with 8 holes... a piece of flat bar inside the pack, and another under the bars

Here is the dilemma:

I need to figure out how to attach this bag...

...to this rack

I'm puzzled =\

Strega, Thumpertalk recently had an article on a removable fender/number plate bag. You may be able to use some of these ideas:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324551

fenderbag.jpg

fenderbagtabs.jpg

see? Now that's pretty slick, but totally bypasses the bag issue... that is very removable though, and bonus points for clean looking without the bag in place

if you want to come up to temecula I could zap that on for ya for a brew or two

Roger I have a wire feed welder currently set up for steel, however I don't have much practice on it yet. I'm out at Havasu for a few days but we could weld it this weekend.

Chris

Todd (N2TM) graciously offered to help me with this problem (In time for Bar 10) and he delivered the final product to me today:

2 metal tabs welded to the top with 4 holes drilled in them to match the bag:

rack04.jpg

4 nuts welded to the bottom of the tabs so bolting the bag to the rack would be simple:

rack05.jpg

Thanks again Todd!!!

Thanks very much to several others who offered help as well, I greatly appreciate it!