Time to Start the Event!!

Weather is cooperating...to make for a Dynamic Weekend. Traction...Great or Sloppy?? Entertainment...+++

I am ready to check in...Friday AM

Thanks to all the Seen and Unseen Enablers

1099995389_FLct6-L.jpg

Can I get an Amen to that... I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight..

Pretty sweet, Randy was able to arrange for a full moon

TK want to "buddy" with me on Sweep?

I am stoked, been packed since my last Mike's Ride bike is just sitting there ready to go!

Still thinking about bringing the BMW.

Completely stressed freaked out about my first DD.

New rubber and 14T C/S sprocket on DRZ. Tools/tube/air/first aid kit/ snacks/in packpack and bike pak

Rain gear, cold gear, riding gear all laid out.

Street clothes/shoesfor tomorrow and sat night.

Sleeping bag and nofreezeumassoff sleep clothing

Gas in truck, bike, and container

GPS - Useless as I still haven't been able to make sense of the frigging thing. I bought one of the big dollar ones for my girlfriend. It will frigging TALK and I figured IT it. The little walkie talkie looking thing is still a mystery.

No sleep for Eddie tonight. See ya'll tomorrow 'bout noon.

Pretty sweet, Randy was able to arrange for a full moon

TK want to "buddy" with me on Sweep?

I am stoked, been packed since my last Mike's Ride bike is just sitting there ready to go!

Still thinking about bringing the BMW.

Have fun folks, looking forward to the ride reports. Maybe I'll make it next year..sigh. :(

Have fun folks, looking forward to the ride reports. Maybe I'll make it next year..sigh. :(

Yup, really wanted to make this one, like you said, maybe next year. Can't wait to see the pics and read the stories.

The Huts at Butterfield Ranch.post-13992-024652800 1298104770_thumb.jp

I wondered why they didn't have any usable pictures on their web site. Now, I know. MAYBE 10x10. About 18" between framed in L shaped bunks. You WILL be touching whoever is on the same level you are. About 5x5 clear space to stand and stack whatever WET gear you had. No place to sit and dress, undress, or cry like a little girl. It really is a storage shed. Someone else made the reservation. My fault for buying in sight unseen.

post-13992-065179200 1298104799_thumb.jp

No lights. No heat. No thank you.

I've been married - I know how to be miserable.

On the bright side, I went out for a 45 minute ride in the rain and got the new tires dirty. Ya'll have fun. I'll be back when it's not cold AND wet.

Sorry you left. Looks like the weather is holding off a bit. Now being a married man, I might not of left shangri la.

Seems like partnering up and sharing a rental on a toyhauler might be a better solution next time.

Toyhauler, motorhome, on site trailer... Definitely the way to go. I won't make that mistake again. I'm no camper. Gotta have a warm dry spot to call home for the night.

Hope it's great weather for you guys today.

Seems like partnering up and sharing a rental on a toyhauler might be a better solution next time.

Guest Crusty

Just got home,WOW ride was AWESOME, Many of the washes we had to ride, and cross had 1'-3' of rapidly flowing watter, but I think the mud, that was compared to pudding gave us the most problems. I felt like I was at a mud bog, at times. It was quite a challenge just to finish the ride, but well worth it.

The dinner was great, and the raffle also, they made sure, no one went home empty handed.

When I left my house Friday afternoon,I didn't know where I was going to stay, so I called the ranch, and was told by Sue, that they had someone cancel, and there was a room, in a house available, 76.13 a night. Done deal, I asked her who the other two people were, and got no answer. I was a little surprised when I knocked on the door, and it was answered by legendary racer, Dick Vick, and his grandson. About 30 years ago he used to shop, where I worked, at Competition Cycles, in San Clemente.

My bike, and all my gear are covered in mud, my body is sore, but what great day, to be riding.

Way to go Randy, and all the people who helped out, and attended this event.

See you all next year.

Crusty.

Dick Vick 1966

http://books.google.com/books?id=RPgDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA8&dq=Dick+Vick,&cd=1

Sad to say that family emergency will be keeping me from going out there at all. :(

I made it up the 8 to Descanso @ ~3500'. As I was climbing up from El Cajon to Descanso, the temperature dropped very quickly from 55 to 35 degrees and it was raining. I had to stop short of my destination, get a coffee and had to head back down the hill. The knees and the toes were the only cold parts, but were very very cold and I simply wasn't able to continue. Lesson learned. I'm glad I made the trip, now I know where my cold/wet weather weaknesses are.

Wish I could have made it just to meet some other local riders. I have the other rides on the calendar though. I'll catch up with you guys soon enough.

Buddy of mine just came back from a run, he was in a green FJ40 with some other rigs. Said it looked like a KTM convention out there, only with mud, LOL. You could kinda see some orange peeking through, every so often.

Strega and I rolled in Thursday.....up and away with Strega and Joliet Friday morning......we rode down to Diablo Drop, cruised Fish Creek/Old Mine Rd. over to the Blu Inn - No Gas wtf?!?!?.....over to Pole Line/Trail 184/194/332/Johnny's Superstition Track (nice layout Johnny - that was a blast!)......across the (then) dry lake bed/race track down to lunch in Ocotillo.....back up to Butterfield for GPS downloads......

Yesterday the three of us ran late sweep......the overnight rains made for some interesting conditions.....soaked immediately from the knees down riding through the stream at the bottom of Oriflame......the cimb was no big deal but the trail was a bit snotty/slippery over the top.......Grapevine/Jasper/Culp were in great shape (I guess it didn't rain as much over there :blink: ).....a few folks got surprised by the seasonal mud puddle on Culp :heh: .....Thimble Trail, Ella Wash, Arroyo Salado, Truckhaven were in great shape.....fast and fun :D ....a bit of traffic in Techtonic Gorge but not unexpected on a holiday weekend.....go soaked (again) in the washes to and from lunch :o .....a few deep holes/"rivers" across Pole Line......Carrizo was DEEP in spots.....more over the helmet bow waves.....made it back to camp around 7:45pm......soaking wet and cold to the bone......didn't encounter anything but a few bruised egos on the trails which is always the best result.....

Another Dash in the books......good times!

Wet, cold and muddy but it was still a lot of fun. Traction was great on Grapvine, dust was never an issue, the hard route through Superstition was interesting. Hauling ass through the wash and splashing through the puddles at high speed was fun. Stopping and burying the front wheel wasn't. Had to help out one guy who decided to submarine his KTM, kind of ironic because he made some questionable passes earlier in the day and was called out on it. Rode back in the dark and the sleet/rain, just in time for some delicious food and a cold PBR.

My bike was covered in mud, my rear fender is falling off, got a blown fork seal and my gear was soaked so I didn't ride today....but I think a lot of people decided one day was enough! If you didn't make it this year, better get your act together and get out there next year because it's bound to be good.

This thread needs pics... I was only there Saturday and I have pictures up until my camera broke on me

I drove out Saturday morning, showed up solo not knowing what to expect. Rained all the way to Butterfield and saw cars with snow on them driving from Laguna. Wise indian chief say "rain in mountain = flooded desert." I thought the conditions up Oriflame were better than when I went 2 weeks prior on the Ramona to Desert loop. Rode up the wash with my feet in the air trying to stay dry but that didn't last long. I eventually succumb to the notion that I would have soggy socks all day. Its easy following dualsport guys on single track but when we made it into Ocotillo Wells I lost my original riding buddies and found some new ones. Followed Rio Arroyo Salado Wash to lunch. Hitched a gps leader via KKug and crew and lunch Pole Line roaded it south until we ran into guys coming the other way with fear in their eyes. San Felipe was supposedly 3feet deep and there were a bunch of guys stuck. Seeing as we already had a few guys take spills in our group... Tracy said he "Saw a rare buffalo nickel under the water and dove in for it"... we went west to Split Mtn Rd and up Fish Creek, the Diablo Dropoff, past the mudcaves and made it back before dark. My headlight wouldn't turn on so needless to say I pinned it on the road home. Rain, mud and my first real creek crossings... as Randy put said at dinner, san diego ADVENTURE riders. Snow dumped on Julian as I drove home. My alley is now filled with desert mud from washing my bike this morning.

I was parked between these guys so I decided to ride with them

post-14322-000552700 1298244137_thumb.jp

Finally stopped raining so I took out my camera to take pics.

post-14322-052480000 1298244221_thumb.jp

post-14322-030716600 1298245024_thumb.jp

Somewhere around Fonts Pont area I believe

post-14322-019059300 1298245039_thumb.jp

watch out hwy94photo.com... I want your job

post-14322-035776500 1298245067_thumb.jp

Bluff immediately inside Ocotillo Wells

post-14322-026731400 1298245084_thumb.jp

This would later be completely brown

post-14322-007787800 1298245158_thumb.jp

Road hazards

post-14322-062765500 1298245202_thumb.jp

Alone, wandering through washes and I think to myself, "man I should really look around more and enjoy this..." 30 seconds later I biff at the next turn and custom bend my exhaust

post-14322-046161600 1298246136_thumb.jp

Found some friendlies and followed their gps lead through Ocotillo Wells

post-14322-012323000 1298245265_thumb.jp

post-14322-004850600 1298245271_thumb.jp

Never Fear Sweep Team Is Here

Rexr getting stuck trying to unstuck others...

post-14322-054140600 1298245339_thumb.jp

Lost my 2nd group of riding buddies, saw a sign for the Yacht Club and figured that would be the likely place for lunch... Get there and its an empty parking lot with a few lost tourists. "Hey you looking at the map confused, stand right here, hold the camera like this and take my picture, okay thanks!"

post-14322-031023500 1298245403_thumb.jp

Thumbs up with KKug's crew.

post-14322-026083800 1298245557_thumb.jp

Covered In Dust covered in dust

post-14322-054374700 1298245606_thumb.jp

Thanks Randy, the volunteers and all SDAR supporters who helped put on the ride.

post-14322-028492300 1298245641_thumb.jp

1193649323_CEvWS-L.jpg

Shelter from the Storm, Friday PM

1193649495_fWZrv-L.jpg

1193649841_Y6D8b-L.jpg

Yum!!

1193651931_tDHGM-L.jpg

Go Team

1193651994_XDMLj-L.jpg

1193653166_PUmQq-L.jpg

Lake Cuyamaca Area

1193653218_zcu5i-L.jpg

Saturday Breakfast at Julian Coffee and Tea party.gif

Hey, I had a great time and Only rode Friday!!

As I lay in my pop-up trailer at Butterfield Ranch late Friday night listening to the endless rain pelt the canvas, I couldn't help but think; "what's it going to be like riding in a flash flood?".

Turns out its a blast. My friend and I both had a great time. We rode Saturday only and bailed out 3/4 way down the pole line road, calling it a day at 110 miles.

Thanks to Randy and all the other volunteers, and my sincere apologies to the partially inebriated spectator girl standing next to the mud hole on the pole line road. It was an accident, really.

I carried a camera all day and didn't take one damn picture.

See you all next year.