KTMrad

Radio Communications Needed for Desert Dash

I need to know how many people volunteering for the Dash will have radios, and what type ?

Here is what I've submitted (from Strega) so far to BLM.......it looks good, just need to know how many people total.....the more people we show for the permit, the better off we are.

Then I would say:

In the event of an emergency, we have the ability to use cell phones, GMRS radios, and 2m HAM radios.

For the HAM radios:

147.240 - Monument Peak

146.670 - Superstition Mtn

146.085 - Anza

147.855 - Borrego Springs

Those would be the repeater channels we would try to reach people on. We have the ability to mark positions with GPS for easy extraction if needed.

We can have someone monitor those 4 frequencies in a rotation so it will stop on any channel that is requesting assistance.

It's taken me many hours now to complete the new permit requirements and meet the stipulations for the permits.

Thanks for all your help !

Randy,

I have no radio but of coarse my phone is at your disposal.

Thanks........I know we have more than enough cell phones, the radio communications is what's important for BLM.

Have radio. Need to get my license. Will help where I can.

Ditto on the license. Have radio.

Randy,

I haven't signed up for volunteering but you can add me to the list of backups. I'm happy to help out wherever I can.

I have a Yaesu VX-6R tri-band HAM HT & extra GMRS/FRS's. I don't have my HAM ticket yet but am testing on Jan 15th and should be set by the Dash.

Also, I may be able to borrow a 2nd VX-6R and helmet setup if needed. The VX-6Rs can be set to scan within a frequency range or memory bank (as are probably most HTs).

-Martog

I have a 2 meter Icom handheld that can be wired into my helmet and a Yaesu 2 meter unit in my Jeep which will also be at the Desert Dash. I also have my license so count me in for whatever you need.

Have 2m HT, maybe three or four mobile 2m, HF capable too. Also FRS's, including a mobile FRS rig. Licensed and ready, LMK.

***** if you need to submit that.

Edited by Strega
Removed callsign for security purposes. Please PM it to KTMRad - Thanks!

I'm also licensed and have a few 2m radios.

Sounds like you might have enough to meet their standards, but the ham clubs often do comms for running races, etc. They can sometimes facilitate linking their repeaters for events like this.

I know DigDug is a ECRA member and far more savvy about this stuff, as a few of the others posters might be as well.

Can anyone ask the clubs?

I feel so out of it sometimes....I have a compass and two tin cans linked with string. :unsure:

Randy,

I have not signed up on the volunteer list, but I do have a 2m and license. If you need more licensed people for the permit let me know, and I'll sign up for radio duty.

Randy, do they count SPOT or EPIRB devices. I think every sweep rider will have a SPOT device, as well as many of the riders. We could put the land line number of the Butterfield park as one of our contact numbers. Also I think Butterfield has Wi-Fi, so we could have a person on duty with a computer as a contact. As soon (or very soon after)as a help or 911 button is pushed out on the trail, we would have an exact position, and know to send a truck if it is a help call, or medical if it is a 911 call. That person on duty could also have a radio to be in contact with the other riders that have radios, as well as the EMT person.

(I also have a few GMRS radios, but the range is limited.)

I have an etrex GPS...No radio, but it might be possible for me to pick one up beforehand. At the moment all I have is an aircraft hand held. ~118-135

I have an etrex GPS...No radio, but it might be possible for me to pick one up beforehand. At the moment all I have is an aircraft hand held. ~118-135

Belnap, please don't go out of your way to get a radio......it looks like we have more than enough already.

thanks to all of you, we'll finalize all the details later.

I think Joliet's idea is 'spot' on. The SPOT device is going to be the fastest way to get help for a seriously injured rider. I had planned on riding final sweep again with Crawdaddy, and we both have the SPOT device. Who else signed up to ride sweep, maybe we can get that list sorted out sooner than later. The SPOT II has the ability for a 'custom' message as well if we need a truck to assist if there is no medical emergency.

Randy, let me know if you'd like me to coordinate that.

Good idea Ken.

I have a radio also, and will be there both days... not sure what you need done: sweep, pictures, lunch, latrine, KP... whatever

remember your power cords so they can recharge overnight.

Randy; as soon as you have a route planned, I would like to get some opinions from you and others (paul) about a good spot to take pictures...

my efforts were thwarted last year but a late start, and getting in on the "optional" section, which many people bypassed in an effort to get lunch and gas... :unsure: ... that didn't come out right... to refuel bikes and bodies

Strega- If I'm on lunch duty, I will be there to serve your sweep team, OR have a hidden cache somewhere (and will text you the coordinates... it will be like a scavenger hunt for food!)

If sweep riders are still needed, let me know... I think a large sweep team is a good plan if something comes up; a rider needs medical aid, or a quick re-route... that will allow a sweep group to split up, and still get the sweep done. I don't think I have enough experience of that area to be a great sweep rider, but I have a gps, a radio, cell phone, maps, etc.

Do they ever set up check points on these type of rides? If riders were given an ID number and went thru a checkpoint they could be accounted for.... maybe too complicated.

I have (all VHF 2M, and expanded freqs);

(3) Yaesu VX170s (5watt)

... one of them is wired into my helmet for comms. The other two, I can loan out if needed.

(1) Yaesu Mobile (50watt)

... VHF or UHF, or both... and can scan both at the same time.

(1) Vertex Mobile (100watt)

... Can be used as a HUB at the Ranch, as I have a 30' antenna to put up against my RV. But would be limited to being used in my camp (I don't have long power cables).

... no license (I don't touch repeaters), but working on it.

I also have a SPOT, with fully customizable text capability (Delorme GPS w/SPOT) that I can use to relay information to a predetermined group (via text SMS or email)

Strega- If I'm on lunch duty, I will be there to serve your sweep team, OR have a hidden cache somewhere (and will text you the coordinates... it will be like a scavenger hunt for food!)

Geo-cache lunch!!

I am not radio smart enough to know how...but I understand that there are some mobile (not handheld) radios that can be used as a relay / repeater.

If someone knows how or what model etc. i'm sure we could find a tall enough hill to place a truck with the radio acting as a repeater.

There are enough of us with radios and a few with licenses in order to use this set up (if it is possible). Those back at camp would monitor one frequency as well as the sweep teams.

Just a thought.....

Easiest way to do it automatically is to use a cross band radio as a relay - most commonly used bands are 2m and 440. The one issue is that folks with 440 aren't that common. Plenty of models out there that do cross band capabilities, Yaesu, Icom, Vertex, etc all have them. (I guess I should add that the way a cross band system works is one talks on 2m, and it gets repeated on 440, or vice versa. Not like a regular repeater that receives on 2m on one freq, and re-transmits on 2m on another freq)

That's the easy automated (more or less) way, but you can also do it, and sometimes better, by using an operator as a relay. Set up a simple net, one net control in a central location that's line-of-sight to relays that can cover the deadspace, and there you go.

If you really want to get a good net going, I can contact ARES, they're always up for practice, and they're emergency communications to begin with, so manpacks, mobile, off grid power is a regular thing for them. I used to be a member, but not for a couple of years now.

I have a license, 2M and 440 on the bike, plus the mobile in my Yukon will work as a cross-band repeater. Happy to help in any way I can.

..................Set up a simple net, one net control in a central location that's line-of-sight to relays that can cover the deadspace, and there you go.

If you really want to get a good net going, I can contact ARES, they're always up for practice, and they're emergency communications to begin with, so manpacks, mobile, off grid power is a regular thing for them. I used to be a member, but not for a couple of years now.

... being there's many who are bringing radios to use along the ride (some as sweeps ... or ride support), this sounds like a great idea!