KLXBEN

Orange Coolaid

Bit the bullet and bought a 2010 EXC530 to replace my heavy KLX650. This is my first KTM and I cant believe how different it is to ride than my other bikes. I really don't think I like the Metzeler 6 days tires. They seem rough on the road and the front is very slippery in the dirt. I am going to put a good ole 606 on the back and a 908 on the front. That combo has proven itself to me. Here are some pics of Bear Valley on Sat. Before I ate it when the front tire washed out for no reason I could see. Couple of scrapes and some sore ribs, but what the hell.

post-13344-039928600 1299459083_thumb.jp

post-13344-097628700 1299459121_thumb.jp

I really don't think I like the Metzeler 6 days tires. They seem rough on the road and the front is very slippery in the dirt. I am going to put a good ole 606 on the back and a 908 on the front.

Congratulations on the new ride. I can tell you that most of us who ride lighter dirt bikes don't care for the 908/606 combo on our bikes as they are way slippery on the hard dry stuff. They seem to work better on large and heavy dualsport bikes.

You are gonna be happy with the switch to the 530. It's an awesome Do It All bike. Looks great too.

Nice looking bike, I quite liked the Metzeler 6 days tires on my 08 530 but don't ride on the road, back especially was great in wide range of conditions, if you havn't already check the pressures and on front drop it down a bit to see. If you need any info on recommended modifications let me know as I've done quite a bit on mine, depends a bit on how much real off road you intend doing, I posted up summary of my changes here.

What tires would be a good recommendation? I did not notice any problems with the rear I just did not like the front. And also the stock headlight is terrible. Any recommendation without going to aftermarket expensive HID units? The stock bulb is only 35 watts. I would like to at least go 55 watt.

Nice, Congrats on the bike..On the KTM there are Replacement bulbs 55/100 ???? But the replacement works great.

What tires would be a good recommendation?

Try a Pirelli MT21 or for more aggressive tread, try the Scorpion.

Is the scorpion a Pirelli tire? I could not find it. BTW I only run DOT tires.

+1 on what dirtdame said.

Pirelli Scorpion XCMH

DOT

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/14843/ITEM/Pirelli-XCMH-Dual-Sport-Front-Tire.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/391/5168/ITEM/Pirelli-Scorpion-Pro-All-Terrain-Enduro-Front-Tire.aspx

Thanks on the tire info. Now where is a good place to get a better bulb? A link would be awesome.

Thanks again. They have some cool stuff!

Congrats BEN!...from another "heavy kawisaki rider" who did the same thing....Very Nice...

What tires would be a good recommendation?

Set of Pirelli MT43s Trials Tires......you drank the orange Koolaide, now chase it with a shot of Trials Tires......then you'll be set :coolio::)

More than a few years ago I asked Diane at Precision Concepts what front tire they liked, she said Johnny Campbell was loving this tire. It's was a Pirelli MT 18. Now known as Pirelli Scorpion XCMH, it's DOT and available at MC Superstore.

super nice machine, get it set up properly (very important on PDS KTMs)and remember before trashing those tires, world enduro racers use Metz/Mich/Pir enduro comp tires to regularly post super fast special test racing times in competition. Try 13F 12R after getting all your chassis settings correct (or lower press), my norm is 12F 10R UHD tubes with slime. The 10psi may be too squirrelly on the pavement. Also balance your wheels.

Related to what Bill said, it is reported that Everts won a at least a few of his MXGP championships on Pirelli Scorp FIM Pro Enduro comp (DOT) front tires (my fave and what's on my TXC450)

and if the tires will be pitched, can I have dibs on them, thanks R